By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo makes the video game industry look good

Onyxmeth said:
FJ-Warez said:
Onyxmeth said:
leo-j said:
If you agree with this, I am going to officially leave vgchartz.
If who agrees with what?

If any of us agree with this:

But I digress. Some people don't see Nintendo in that light. To some, Nintendo has been and always will be the last stronghold of games for children. But I think that argument is pure rubbish. Are Nintendo games less violent? Sure. Do they appeal more to the kid in you than the soldier in you? Yep. But are they any less fun to play? Of course not.

Nintendo has been able to do something that no other company in the industry is willing nor capable of -- create compelling gameplay for people of all ages without using sports or violence to do it.

Unlike any other developer, Nintendo is carrying the torch as a way to refute all of Jack Thompson's claims and show the world that video games are not the safe haven of violence and antipathy, but the realm of eclectic tastes and entertainment, fitness and education for people of all ages.

Oh well I don't really agree with the violence part. Regardless of ESRB rating, Nintendo games actually do have violence. Smash, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, etc. all have violence in them. It's just cartoony violence and lacks blood splatters. So in fact Nintendo does need violence to create compelling gameplay. I think Zelda would lose a lot of it's luster if enemies just surrounded Link and he had no sword or bow to hit them with.

Well, like you said, I don´t see the Ninty violence comparable with the GoW/Halo violence, yes Ninty indeed use violence but not in the same way like other devs, and not all the games feature violence, some doesn´t feature violence/sex/drugs at all, thats the point of the article, Nintendo is putting "E" content in their games and some of them are a relly good example against the trend of "Games=violence,gore,sex and all of them are bad"

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Edit. (Origional was not readable) 

First and foremost not trying to attack you personally, we are all one community here so if I have offended you as such I do apologies.

Onyxmeth said:
While the gameplay of Nintendo branded games are mature I have to say there is one avenue that Nintendo needs to improve upon to be seen as a mature gaming machine, and that's the story. Many Nintendo games have empty shells of a story, with the only notable Nintendo developer even trying being Intelligent Systems, and I commend them for it. How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting. That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate. That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

ow the pleasantry's are out of the way.  Here is your original comment so if you do not mind i will reply accordingly

“How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting”

But somehow millions of people still like the 8-bit "story doesn't matter" type of gaming. In my opinion this leaves a lot to the imagination, and thats where the secret of nintendo success games lie IMO, If they get your imagination going then they have got you on a very emotional lvl. OOT had this 8-bit "story doesn't matter" Mode and it still rated as the best game ever, and remembered by millions of gamers world wide,to this day. even after playing Bioshock and Mass effect as great as those games were, i will never remember them the same way as i remember OOT even with their amazing story telling gameplay and personally the whole thing conversation thing in Mass effect was great even amazin but a pitty the actuall GAMEplay wern't as deep and mature (put emphasis on Game simply because thats what they are games, and i would take deep gameplay anyday over great story , of course its great if a game has both) And if you remember i they tried to implement this story kinda thing in mario sunshine, and well we know how that story went

That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate."

It is really debatable wether adding voice acting makes a game even more Immersive, i think about the Phoenix write games, though have a lot of text i am still very immersed, it does its job. I also think about Gears of War and to tell the truth i turn down the Voice acting and listen to music because its pretty diabolical, and take away from my experience, thats not to say i don't voice acting in games are bad, its just sometimes they actually take away from the experince, but hey thats my opinion also.

That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

Somewhat agree to this, but i personally don't think it’s a bad thing.

"Do you also wish for movies to go back to the days when characters couldn't talk and word boxes would tell the dialogue? Yeah those were fun times. Look how popular it is today. Silent movies are all the rage now."

I really don't think this even warrants a reply. You are just trying to be smart here, but you Fail

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

PS360ForTheWin said:
oh wow i am never going to play a game with any violence in it ever again now, i am also going to trade my PS3 and 360 in to get a Wii and DS.......................................
NOT, heres an idea, stop the bullshit about Nintendo being better than everyone else, for fucks sake, so you like games for people who dont like violence good for you, i like games that are full of violence good for me, stop trying to convert everyone to the church of nintendo, my goodness some people are just as bad as religous fundies, instead of flaming atheists and scientists for not agreeing with your holy texts, your flaming PS3 and 360 owners for not loving nintendo.

LOL you read that article, and somehow you got the message that Nintendo were being praised as the Best developer.

No one is interested in converting you into liking games with no violence so get off your high horse, i am glad you enjoy violent games, guess what? so do i. Maybe you should read the article a little closer and try and understand the message. What do you say?... Reading Comprehension FTW.

PS. I never understand reaction like this. 

Quotes to live by!

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

leo-j left because of this opinion story.

pathetic

leo-j said:

Don't get my hopes up.

Quotes to live by!

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
Onyxmeth said:
FJ-Warez said:
Onyxmeth said:
leo-j said:
If who agrees with what?

If any of us agree with this:

But I digress. Some people don't see Nintendo in that light. To some, Nintendo has been and always will be the last stronghold of games for children. But I think that argument is pure rubbish. Are Nintendo games less violent? Sure. Do they appeal more to the kid in you than the soldier in you? Yep. But are they any less fun to play? Of course not.

Nintendo has been able to do something that no other company in the industry is willing nor capable of -- create compelling gameplay for people of all ages without using sports or violence to do it.

Unlike any other developer, Nintendo is carrying the torch as a way to refute all of Jack Thompson's claims and show the world that video games are not the safe haven of violence and antipathy, but the realm of eclectic tastes and entertainment, fitness and education for people of all ages.

Oh well I don't really agree with the violence part. Regardless of ESRB rating, Nintendo games actually do have violence. Smash, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, etc. all have violence in them. It's just cartoony violence and lacks blood splatters. So in fact Nintendo does need violence to create compelling gameplay. I think Zelda would lose a lot of it's luster if enemies just surrounded Link and he had no sword or bow to hit them with.

Well, like you said, I don´t see the Ninty violence comparable with the GoW/Halo violence, yes Ninty indeed use violence but not in the same way like other devs, and not all the games feature violence, some doesn´t feature violence/sex/drugs at all, thats the point of the article, Nintendo is putting "E" content in their games and some of them are a relly good example against the trend of "Games=violence,gore,sex and all of them are bad"

It's still misleading. Violence is violence and that includes both cartoon style and realistic. My cousins weren't allowed to play any videogames with noticable violence and I had to handpick them games that my Aunt would allow. Even most Nintendo games were out of that range. A game that doesn't rely on violence is a game like Katamari Damacy or Tetris, not Zelda and Metroid. When an article is written it should be more clear on what is meant by "violence" as it's a very vague term in gaming. Here's what the ESRB rating says for Nintendo's three big Wii games:

Super Mario Galaxy-Rated E for Everyone
Mild Cartoon Violence

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-Rated T for Teen
Animated Blood
Fantasy Violence

Super Smash Bros. Brawl-Rated T for Teen
Cartoon Violence
Crude Humor

I agree that the article was referring to extreme violence based on them bringing Nintendo and kiddy into the equation, but in any case, games like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars and Metroid are still violent and are not meant for "everyone" as is stated.

I also don't agree that Nintendo does it without resorting to sports. The highest selling Wii game is a sports game, and Mario has tried out Basketball, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, and Soccer going on almost ten years now. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I think anything its the censorship that might have pissed leo off will see! He should understand that nintendo is more family friendly and that true does that mean we as gamers agree with Jack Thompson????

that games need censorship?? they have rating for a reason people should use that I mean movies and tv are way worse! with less ratings.

Onyxmeth said:

It's still misleading. Violence is violence and that includes both cartoon style and realistic. My cousins weren't allowed to play any videogames with noticable violence and I had to handpick them games that my Aunt would allow. Even most Nintendo games were out of that range. A game that doesn't rely on violence is a game like Katamari Damacy or Tetris, not Zelda and Metroid. When an article is written it should be more clear on what is meant by "violence" as it's a very vague term in gaming. Here's what the ESRB rating says for Nintendo's three big Wii games:

Mild Cartoon Violence

Animated Blood
Fantasy Violence

Cartoon Violence
Crude Humor

I agree that the article was referring to extreme violence based on them bringing Nintendo and kiddy into the equation, but in any case, games like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars and Metroid are still violent and are not meant for "everyone" as is stated.

But the article was talking about games like the Eye training game, in which that guy who plays baseball uses it to improve his eyesight. Its those types of games he is referring to anyway.

Quotes to live by!

BornFirst. said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
oh wow i am never going to play a game with any violence in it ever again now, i am also going to trade my PS3 and 360 in to get a Wii and DS.......................................
NOT, heres an idea, stop the bullshit about Nintendo being better than everyone else, for fucks sake, so you like games for people who dont like violence good for you, i like games that are full of violence good for me, stop trying to convert everyone to the church of nintendo, my goodness some people are just as bad as religous fundies, instead of flaming atheists and scientists for not agreeing with your holy texts, your flaming PS3 and 360 owners for not loving nintendo.

LOL you read that article, and somehow you got the message that Nintendo were being praised as the Best developer.

No one is interested in converting you into liking games with no violence so get off your high horse, i am glad you enjoy violent games, guess what? so do i. Maybe you should read the article a little closer and try and understand the message. What do you say?... Reading Comprehension FTW.

PS. I never understand reaction like this. 

I did not say the article said nintendo were best, i was simply venting as i dislike people trying to find reasons to get me to play nintendo consoles, wether i play them or not is my perogative, also this article does praise nintendo, it says clearly that they make the industry look good in the thread title, a claim that could be made for any console, conversely it could be said any of the companies make the industry look bad, therefore saying they make it look good is an opinion, not a fact.  Also there is no need to insult my ability to read

P.S. i have nothing against nintendo or their consoles, infact i used to own a ds, i only have a problem with people who try to get me to play there consoles without good reasons.

Onyxmeth said:

Mild Cartoon Violence

Animated Blood
Fantasy Violence

Cartoon Violence
Crude Humor

I also don't agree that Nintendo does it without resorting to sports. The highest selling Wii game is a sports game, and Mario has tried out Basketball, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, and Soccer going on almost ten years now. 

Take in account all the Ninty games, not just this gen... since the beggining of the cartoons, cartoon violence means next to nothing vs realistic violence, like the old looney toons can now be viewed by everyone, most of the Nintendo games have Everyone content, or teen content in the "worst case scenario"...

Yes now there is sports related games, but none of them are the main feature, like Madden Fifa, Pes, etc... again just look at the game and you will see how most of them can be played without having a "sports/realistic violence" as the main feature of the game, orthe selling point of the game...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."