By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo partners with Western Digital to create licensed Switch SanDisk memory cards

mikrolik said:
irstupid said:

Really? I thought 256 was the largest Micro SD cards on the market right now.

This, and didn't Nintendo say the Switch was feasibly capable of handling Micro SD cards up to 2 TB? If that's the case, is anyone (Western Digital/SanDisk or others) even trying to increase the size of cards beyond 256GB?

I've never seen a 512 GB Micro SD card, so tripenall, could you tell us where you got yours, and what it cost?

Actually there was just news this week that WD broke the barrier of highest capacity micro SD card again (they also did two years ago) and will be bringing a 400GB card for 250$ to the market. They are trying to increase capacity and they are suceeding.

So I call bullshit on a 512GB card. Maybe it was a regular SD card?

edit: was beaten to it by Layton, but yeah, what he said as well. I know I'm waiting for black friday to roll around to get my Switch sd card :P

Around the Network

I wouldn't spend one extra cent to get a card with a Nintendo logo on it.

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:
Nintendo better not lock out other cards and mark these up.

They can't lock them to just San Disk because that's against the Secure Digital Association License Agreement.

It's also not the first time they've partnered for SD card branding.  I'm pretty sure they've done it for every SD capable device they've released.

I hope that's the case.

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

I hope that's the case.

Altering the core functionality of an SD card or reader by an Secure Digital license holder is a violation of the above noted agreement.

I'll have to take your word for this. Thanks.

Sucks for people who don't know the difference. These will cost more and give you nothing.

Still best bet is to buy a non-Nintendo labelled card from Amazon.

Around the Network

They should have been safe and made a 256gb model too. I'm in the market for one right now. Guess I'll go with the Samsung version then.

HA
Joke's on you, Nintendo. I already have a 256gb SD card and a strict "10 or less" rule to ensure that lasts a good long time!

Well, I guess it makes it easier for less tech-savvy people. It also means that it's easier to find which SD card you use for your Switch if you have multiple SD cards. I say that I'm probably not going to bother with these since they are likely going to be more expensive. When I get an SD card for the Switch, I'm probably going 128 GB. After all, I mostly buy physical games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I got mine on Ebay, it cost a fortune but at least I won't need another. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/292196493044?chn=ps&dispItem=1

$349 AUD is steep no doubt but I'm not sure what everyone is talking about RE that they don't exist or something. For those calling bullshit check the link. 

SuperNova said:
mikrolik said:

This, and didn't Nintendo say the Switch was feasibly capable of handling Micro SD cards up to 2 TB? If that's the case, is anyone (Western Digital/SanDisk or others) even trying to increase the size of cards beyond 256GB?

I've never seen a 512 GB Micro SD card, so tripenall, could you tell us where you got yours, and what it cost?

Actually there was just news this week that WD broke the barrier of highest capacity micro SD card again (they also did two years ago) and will be bringing a 400GB card for 250$ to the market. They are trying to increase capacity and they are suceeding.

So I call bullshit on a 512GB card. Maybe it was a regular SD card?

edit: was beaten to it by Layton, but yeah, what he said as well. I know I'm waiting for black friday to roll around to get my Switch sd card :P

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/292196493044?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Sorry for the late reply, please look at this link.