Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE ranks the top 100 greatest games (2017 edition)

Terrible

Around the Network

ugh they just had to put Journey there

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

deskpro2k3 said:
Pavolink said:

Whatever you believe about the list is irrelevant to the topic: BotW is number 1.

The topic is about the list, and I'm just saying the list is garbage.

And I'm not the only one that thinks that. Fact.

Many believing something does not make it being true or even a fact. The important thing and topic is BotW being number 1. The rest is irrelevant.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Ugh EDGE, one of the worst gaming publications imo. Not exactly a good list either, my personal top 2 are at #15 and #56, while my #3, #4, and #5 are missing entirely. 

GProgrammer said:
Yes the list is a joke that seems very recent game orientated. OK perhaps they are ignoring historical importance completely, but then why have tetris in the top 10?
IMO the greatest game of all time is 'Space Invaders', no game has had the impact this game has had,

Impact is one thing, but if someone's making a list solely based on impact, he should call it 'the most impactful games of all time'. I think the greatest games of all time should be a combination of their quality when they were released, and how well they aged. Space Invaders isn't a good game according to today's standards, while Super Mario Bros is still a fun platformer.

Around the Network

really awful list, only one I agree with in the top 10 is Half Life 2. The real telling sign of how bad the list is, Far Cry 4! I mean seriously I love Far Cry but Far Cry 4 is not even close to the best of them. Halo 3 but no Halo? It actually reads more like a list of "ofthe games I have played here's how I rank them" .

Loved Dark Souls but none of them were better than GTA V. I've never played a that was better than GTA V

Where are Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger tho. Well, I think it's nice that FFXII was included, it's a great game that never gets the recognition it deserves, also I think Xenoblade should be higher but whatever.
Anyway, this kind of stuff in super subjective imo, so I won't whine and scream"this list is shiiiiiiiit!!!"

20. Ultra Street Fighter IV - outdated garbage that people don't recall as fondly as Street Fighter 2; it's like saying 007 Quantum of Solace is better than From Russia with Love and Goldfinger because it uses more current effects..
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Yeah, there are better MGS games than this.
18. Rez Infinite - This is not even a real game.
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End - nope.
16. Super Mario World - sure, but like SMG1, putting the smaller, easier, and (in many ways) inferior little brother Super Mario Bros 3 above it seems wrong.
15. Red Dead Redemption - garbage.
14. Super Mario 64 - Fairly big, but not Super Mario Bros or Super Mario 3 big.
13. Portal - nope
12. Bayonetta 2 - HAHAHA, no.
11. Minecraft - Should be higher up, this one was massively important.
10. Resident Evil 4 - nah.
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - probably should be #2.
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - nope, the first game was almost as good, it had a much bigger and far more important impact.
7. Tetris - Highly deserving, but it's weird how this is the only classic on here, and it's not even the best, biggest, or most important from its era.
6. Half-Life 2 - Yes, even though I'm not an FPS person, I recognize this one's cultural impact.
5. Bloodborne - Nope.
4. The Last of Us - Nope.
3. Grand Theft Auto V - I suppose this is deserving.
2. Dark Souls - Huh?
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the latest game considered the greatest.

In short, these guys don't respect games as art, and I can't see what kind of criteria they're using to score games on this list. It seems very haphazard.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

20. Ultra Street Fighter IV - outdated garbage that people don't recall as fondly as Street Fighter 2; it's like saying 007 Quantum of Solace is better than From Russia with Love and Goldfinger because it uses more current effects..
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Yeah, there are better MGS games than this.
18. Rez Infinite - This is not even a real game.
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End - nope.
16. Super Mario World - sure, but like SMG1, putting the smaller, easier, and (in many ways) inferior little brother Super Mario Bros 3 above it seems wrong.
15. Red Dead Redemption - garbage.
14. Super Mario 64 - Fairly big, but not Super Mario Bros or Super Mario 3 big.
13. Portal - nope
12. Bayonetta 2 - HAHAHA, no.
11. Minecraft - Should be higher up, this one was massively important.
10. Resident Evil 4 - nah.
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - probably should be #2.
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - nope, the first game was almost as good, it had a much bigger and far more important impact.
7. Tetris - Highly deserving, but it's weird how this is the only classic on here, and it's not even the best, biggest, or most important from its era.
6. Half-Life 2 - Yes, even though I'm not an FPS person, I recognize this one's cultural impact.
5. Bloodborne - Nope.
4. The Last of Us - Nope.
3. Grand Theft Auto V - I suppose this is deserving.
2. Dark Souls - Huh?
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the latest game considered the greatest.

In short, these guys don't respect games as art, and I can't see what kind of criteria they're using to score games on this list. It seems very haphazard.

If I'm not mistaken, the criteria they used was "not your taste". Not sure though.