By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (prediction) The Switch won't see any hardware revisions/variations in its life-cycle whatsoever

Miyamotoo said:
Nautilus said:

First of all, you are making ALOT of assumptions here.Big leaps in logic.Like when the 3DS finally dies, Nintendp would need to lower the Switch price to 150 - 200.Why is that necessary?The most popular 3DS version is the one that costs 200 dollars or something really close to that, and the 3DS is a far inferior product than the Switch(in terms of what the hardware itself offers).Its the same thing that people said back at January and February,that the Switch might have a hard time selling at the 300 dollars back when it launched.And we all know how that turned out to be.

And it does matter.3D was a big flop for Nintendo(the feautre itself).No developer used it effectivelly, and even Nintendo barely touched it.Worse of all, pratically nobody used the 3D in the games.Not to mention that it contained health risks for children.All in all, it was a failed idea.The Switch concept of being a hybrid console is a very different thing.Its something widely accepted as extremely smart, and is part to the identity to the console, much more than the 3D ever was for the 3DS.Saying that this distinction doesnt matter is the same thing as saying that PSVR or any kind of other VR will fail because the Virtual Boy, one of the first VR inspired products, has failed.Its a stupid comparison, because the devices have managed to implement their features with different levels of success.

And the 2DS having a different form factor than the DS is nonsensical.What the hell the design of the products has anything to do with what that same product can deliver?That sentence is just forcing too much, Im sorry.

And Im considering that these revisions are made to serve different kind of audiences and tastes.The problem here is that making a Switch mini or a Switch TV will compromise Nintendo vision of what they want their console to be, and most importantly, the console value and the brand that is growing surrounding it, namely being a versatile system.And in my suggestion, Nintendo would be serving everyone.The base model, the one we have now, would be the cheapest one available and appeal to the mass market in general(and both to the ones that prefer handheld or home consoles).By 2 or 3 years time, it will be between 50 to 100 dollars cheaper, and have a bundle that will amke its value go much higher(Imagine it bundled with a Mario Kart, Zelda, or even Super Mario game.Hell, maybe even 2 games).And for those that want a system that can last longer, they would make a revision that uses Tegra X2 or some more efficient chip, with a better screen resolution and a bigger battery, so that the games can run more smoothly(less fps drops, better draw distance, those kinds of things) that would benefit both sides of the console(handheld and home console) that would also have a more premium price.

With that strategy, you would check all the boxes.Keep what the Switch is about intact, but have revision to boost up sales and keep the interest on the system going.As long as people think that the system is worth buying, and that you will be receiving the bang for your buck, you can charge as much as you like.You dont need to drop the price off the a precipice to keep the system selling 4 years from now.

There are all very logical assumptions based on facts. Its nesscery to have lower price point on market beause Switch will be only Nintendo platform, and Nintendo always had lower price point. Current Switch will maybe still be most popular despite future revisions, but it's always good to have different price points in any case, why do you think Nintendo has price point for 3DS from $80 to $200 and had 6 revisions!?

Doesn't really matter, point is that released revision of hardware that is completely different from 3DS. Switch will still exist in current state, but point of Switch Mini/Pocket is to offer Switch platform at lower price point to users who don't need home console use, and that's totally logical.

DS means Dual Screen, and 3DS has dual screen same like DS, 2DS has just one screen that has bar between two parts of one screen.

Again, Switch Mini/Pocket does not compromise anything, you will still have standard Switch, Switch will still exist in current state, but point of Switch Mini/Pocket is to offer Switch platform at lower price point to users who don't need home console use, to wider offer of Switch platform, and that's totally logical. Current Switch can be cheaper around $50-100 in around 2 years, but Switch Mini/Pocket would be cheaper around $100 in any case than curent Switch. You look at Switch just like current state hardware, but you need to start looking it like unified Nintendo platform that will of course have lotsa different types of revisions.

We saw what Nintendo done with 3DS, there is not doubt they will do something similar with Switch, difference is that Switch like hybrid offer much more opportunities for different type of hardware revisions, especially with point that Switch will be only platform where Nintendo will not have separate handheld and separate home console platform, so we will have Switch Mini/Pocket, or Switch XL/Pro, Switch TV/home, Switch VR...even if they don't have all Switch concept (that they are home console and handheld in same time), point is that they will be all part of same Switch platform and they will use same games.

For gods sake, did you not read what I just wrote?For your first two paragraphs, I just said that the base Switch could be the cheap model and could be in the same price range you just said, so it offers a cheaper option for people that doesnt want to pay that much, and the better Switch with better components would be the premium one, and yet you brush it off and repeats the same thing you said before as if I said anything?*facepalm*

And its not like Nintendo will make the Switch as cheap as they can.If something is selling, they will try to maximize profits.So even if this mini versions ends up releasing and costs 80 to manufacture, just for the sake of argument, Nintendo will charge it 180, 200 dollars for it.The New 3DS XL costs 200 dollars to buy, and that piece of tecnology is far cheaper than that to produce, Im pretty sure.And why Nintendo would do that?Because it would sell anyway.And if it is not selling, then Nintebndo has a bigger problem in their hands, because as we can see so far, its not the hardware fault for it not to sell.And I mean, do you REALLY believe that, assuming the base model is 200 dollars by 3 years from now, this mini edition would be sold for 100 dollars?Do you really think it would not only be that cheap to manufacture it, but also that Nintebndo would take in such a small margin of profit for each unit sold?Please.

And why do I think that Nintendo wouldnt do that?Other than the numerous reasons I already listed before, you are taking value out of the product, even if you try to compensate with a lower price point, and chances are, since you are trying to cut costs and make something like the Switch even smaller, is that you will end up with something more expensive(you would need to shrink the already small components inside it, and to make it so it takes better chips, or more expensive ones) and the battery life would suffer for it, since you want something smaller but with the same performance.See the problems?

2DS has only one screen?Oh please.And lets also not ignore the fact that one is touch and the other one is not.Surely Nintendo is a magician that can create such a device without making it expensive!*double facepalm*

Looking back at history and drawing conclusions based only on that is a doubled edged sword.On one side, its important to look back to know what happened to have a basis to make guesses for the future.On the other hand the things that happened in the past, the things that we base upon, was also a first for the industry.Until revisions were a common norm on it, someone had to do it first.Someone had to take a first step.And only then it became norm.Before Nintendo started making such revisions, nobody expected things as such.Only after that it became "obvious".The thing we are dealing with right now is not a handheld.Its a hybrid.Its a whole different concept.Its easy to say "that company always does this, so they will keep doing that forever!".But what you and everyone keeps forgetting that there will always be a moment when change is needed.Remember Splatoon?2 years ago it was a sure flop, because its not an estabilished Nintendo IP.Now?Its OBVIOUS for everyone that it will sell millions and millions.And the Switch is a different product.And I expect Nintendo to have a different treatment for it.

Am I right?Who knows.Nintendo might as well go your way and make a myriad of subproducts under the Switch umbrella.But given the radical shift in view that Nintendo had since last year, and that the company seems to being run mostly by new blood, and the old school taking more of a backseat approach to this, I choose to look at the possibilities that Nintendo might be doing something different again.We can have different views in this, but at least you should agree that my point might be more than possible.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I expect a Pro like version eventually.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Those are some interesting and thoughtful replies to say the least. The difference might be that I see the Switch as a home console first and foremost, and most of you see it as handheld first. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but we'll see what happens.

Now the thing a lot of people have said is that a refresh along the lines "*new* switch" where the hardware power and efficiency slightly increased with tegra x2, while still retaining the same size and form factor. And I have to admit, this is much more likely than mini/xl/TV. For now I stand by my prediction, but this has got me thinking a bit. Good discussion.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Nautilus said:
Miyamotoo said:

There are all very logical assumptions based on facts. Its nesscery to have lower price point on market beause Switch will be only Nintendo platform, and Nintendo always had lower price point. Current Switch will maybe still be most popular despite future revisions, but it's always good to have different price points in any case, why do you think Nintendo has price point for 3DS from $80 to $200 and had 6 revisions!?

Doesn't really matter, point is that released revision of hardware that is completely different from 3DS. Switch will still exist in current state, but point of Switch Mini/Pocket is to offer Switch platform at lower price point to users who don't need home console use, and that's totally logical.

DS means Dual Screen, and 3DS has dual screen same like DS, 2DS has just one screen that has bar between two parts of one screen.

Again, Switch Mini/Pocket does not compromise anything, you will still have standard Switch, Switch will still exist in current state, but point of Switch Mini/Pocket is to offer Switch platform at lower price point to users who don't need home console use, to wider offer of Switch platform, and that's totally logical. Current Switch can be cheaper around $50-100 in around 2 years, but Switch Mini/Pocket would be cheaper around $100 in any case than curent Switch. You look at Switch just like current state hardware, but you need to start looking it like unified Nintendo platform that will of course have lotsa different types of revisions.

We saw what Nintendo done with 3DS, there is not doubt they will do something similar with Switch, difference is that Switch like hybrid offer much more opportunities for different type of hardware revisions, especially with point that Switch will be only platform where Nintendo will not have separate handheld and separate home console platform, so we will have Switch Mini/Pocket, or Switch XL/Pro, Switch TV/home, Switch VR...even if they don't have all Switch concept (that they are home console and handheld in same time), point is that they will be all part of same Switch platform and they will use same games.

For gods sake, did you not read what I just wrote?For your first two paragraphs, I just said that the base Switch could be the cheap model and could be in the same price range you just said, so it offers a cheaper option for people that doesnt want to pay that much, and the better Switch with better components would be the premium one, and yet you brush it off and repeats the same thing you said before as if I said anything?*facepalm*

And its not like Nintendo will make the Switch as cheap as they can.If something is selling, they will try to maximize profits.So even if this mini versions ends up releasing and costs 80 to manufacture, just for the sake of argument, Nintendo will charge it 180, 200 dollars for it.The New 3DS XL costs 200 dollars to buy, and that piece of tecnology is far cheaper than that to produce, Im pretty sure.And why Nintendo would do that?Because it would sell anyway.And if it is not selling, then Nintebndo has a bigger problem in their hands, because as we can see so far, its not the hardware fault for it not to sell.And I mean, do you REALLY believe that, assuming the base model is 200 dollars by 3 years from now, this mini edition would be sold for 100 dollars?Do you really think it would not only be that cheap to manufacture it, but also that Nintebndo would take in such a small margin of profit for each unit sold?Please.

And why do I think that Nintendo wouldnt do that?Other than the numerous reasons I already listed before, you are taking value out of the product, even if you try to compensate with a lower price point, and chances are, since you are trying to cut costs and make something like the Switch even smaller, is that you will end up with something more expensive(you would need to shrink the already small components inside it, and to make it so it takes better chips, or more expensive ones) and the battery life would suffer for it, since you want something smaller but with the same performance.See the problems?

2DS has only one screen?Oh please.And lets also not ignore the fact that one is touch and the other one is not.Surely Nintendo is a magician that can create such a device without making it expensive!*double facepalm*

Looking back at history and drawing conclusions based only on that is a doubled edged sword.On one side, its important to look back to know what happened to have a basis to make guesses for the future.On the other hand the things that happened in the past, the things that we base upon, was also a first for the industry.Until revisions were a common norm on it, someone had to do it first.Someone had to take a first step.And only then it became norm.Before Nintendo started making such revisions, nobody expected things as such.Only after that it became "obvious".The thing we are dealing with right now is not a handheld.Its a hybrid.Its a whole different concept.Its easy to say "that company always does this, so they will keep doing that forever!".But what you and everyone keeps forgetting that there will always be a moment when change is needed.Remember Splatoon?2 years ago it was a sure flop, because its not an estabilished Nintendo IP.Now?Its OBVIOUS for everyone that it will sell millions and millions.And the Switch is a different product.And I expect Nintendo to have a different treatment for it.

Am I right?Who knows.Nintendo might as well go your way and make a myriad of subproducts under the Switch umbrella.But given the radical shift in view that Nintendo had since last year, and that the company seems to being run mostly by new blood, and the old school taking more of a backseat approach to this, I choose to look at the possibilities that Nintendo might be doing something different again.We can have different views in this, but at least you should agree that my point might be more than possible.

I read, but it seems you didnt read what I wrote, again, regardless point that Switch could be cheaper $50-100 in around two years, Switch Mini/Pocket could be cheaper than that in any case for around $100. In other words, some people wouldn't want to pay even $250 for current Switch, but they would pay maybe $150 for Switch Mini/Pocket.

New 3DS XL cost $200 but 2DS costs $80, so they having lower price point, higher price point, and middle price point. In Switch case, Switch Mini/Pocket would be lower price point. I believe that around year and 1.5-2 years Nintendo will release Switch Mini/Pocket for price point of around $150-200, current Switch will not have lower price point than $250 (most likely that will be price of holiday 2018. for current Switch).

You are totally wrong, you dont take any value from product, you expand offer and price point of that product, its not like current Switch will stop selling. Why Nintendo relased 2DS, why Nintendo relaesed, New 3DS, why Nintendo relased New 3DS XL, why Nintendo relased New 2DS XL!? Nintendo will most likely use Tegra X2 for Switch versions in any case, so stronger battery life and less heat is given in any case, including small form factor. Switch Mini/Pocket doesnt need dock, doesnt need deatchible Yoy Cons, doent need to parts requred to work with dock, doesnt need HDMI cable, big package...you acting like Nintendo never done something similar, while you have 2DS that costs $80 while New 3DS XL is $200.

You are not very well informed, I guess Nintendo really is magician. :D

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-has-one-big-screen-divided-by-plastic

Thats point, its not only point what Nintendo done with 3DS, but point that with Switch like hybrid device and like one unifeded platform, Switch will have plenty of different types of hardware revisions that will be part of same platform, and offcoures they will have lower price point Switch when 3DS dies.             I never thought that Splatoon will flop, from moment I played test demo I realised that game has huge potential.

We can only wait and see, but I am 90% sure we will have cheaper, smaller Switch just for handheld play in around 1.5-2 years (it will be ready for launch when 3DS dies).

So looking at your specific definition of console revision, the I agree, Switch won't be altered.

However, I do think that like MSony have demonstrated, we'll see power/functionality upgrades within a couple years. I doubt that will include significant form factor changes (i.e. no slim model) but I'm sure there will be changes here and there (i.e. better kickstand).

I'm betting that by 2019 we'll see a more powerful Switch.
+ ram
+ CPU/GPU power
~ same battery life, screen, controls etc.

Then around 2021 we'll see a "generational" like change where form factor may also take a modification to some extent.

I don't think this is any different than how MSony will continue to behave with their consoles. Every ~2yrs we'll see something new.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Nautilus said:

I read, but it seems you didnt read what I wrote, again, regardless point that Switch could be cheaper $50-100 in around two years, Switch Mini/Pocket could be cheaper than that in any case for around $100. In other words, some people wouldn't want to pay even $250 for current Switch, but they would pay maybe $150 for Switch Mini/Pocket.

New 3DS XL cost $200 but 2DS costs $80, so they having lower price point, higher price point, and middle price point. In Switch case, Switch Mini/Pocket would be lower price point. I believe that around year and 1.5-2 years Nintendo will release Switch Mini/Pocket for price point of around $150-200, current Switch will not have lower price point than $250 (most likely that will be price of holiday 2018. for current Switch).

You are totally wrong, you dont take any value from product, you expand offer and price point of that product, its not like current Switch will stop selling. Why Nintendo relased 2DS, why Nintendo relaesed, New 3DS, why Nintendo relased New 3DS XL, why Nintendo relased New 2DS XL!? Nintendo will most likely use Tegra X2 for Switch versions in any case, so stronger battery life and less heat is given in any case, including small form factor. Switch Mini/Pocket doesnt need dock, doesnt need deatchible Yoy Cons, doent need to parts requred to work with dock, doesnt need HDMI cable, big package...you acting like Nintendo never done something similar, while you have 2DS that costs $80 while New 3DS XL is $200.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-has-one-big-screen-divided-by-plastic

Thats point, its not only point what Nintendo done with 3DS, but point that with Switch like hybrid device and like one unifeded platform, Switch will have plenty of different types of hardware revisions that will be part of same platform, and offcoures they will have lower price point Switch when 3DS dies.             I never thought that Splatoon will flop, from moment I played test demo I realised that game has huge potential.

We can only wait and see, but I am 90% sure we will have cheaper, smaller Switch just for handheld play in around 1.5-2 years (it will be ready for launch when 3DS dies).

Huh, didnt know about the screen.I admit I was wrong about that detail.But that doestn change the fact that just because the 2DS doesnt have a clamshell design it makes like a different form factor than the DS.Thats simply and factually wrong.Dont know why you are trying to win "points" trying to make every single argument you give as factually wrong.This is not a competition.

Look, even if you are being a blockhead and not even admitting that my arguments are sound and being quite honestly annoying saying nonsense like the 2DS stuff(Its like saying that the Wii mini is not a Wii because the design is different, or that the PS4 slim is not a PS4 because it is smaller), what we are arguing about are two likely scenarios that might happen.While I dont believe that what you are saying will come to pass, and vice versa, both sides have reasonable arguments behind them and at the end of the day, we cant actually get to a conclusion on what if scenarios.Lets just leave this one to time to decide who will be right or who will be wrong.Agreed?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Miyamotoo said:

Huh, didnt know about the screen.I admit I was wrong about that detail.But that doestn change the fact that just because the 2DS doesnt have a clamshell design it makes like a different form factor than the DS.Thats simply and factually wrong.Dont know why you are trying to win "points" trying to make every single argument you give as factually wrong.This is not a competition.

Look, even if you are being a blockhead and not even admitting that my arguments are sound and being quite honestly annoying saying nonsense like the 2DS stuff(Its like saying that the Wii mini is not a Wii because the design is different, or that the PS4 slim is not a PS4 because it is smaller), what we are arguing about are two likely scenarios that might happen.While I dont believe that what you are saying will come to pass, and vice versa, both sides have reasonable arguments behind them and at the end of the day, we cant actually get to a conclusion on what if scenarios.Lets just leave this one to time to decide who will be right or who will be wrong.Agreed?

Of Course that 2DS has very different form factor than 3DS, they dont look same at all. Its not point about winning points but about point that you arguing but you are not very well informed.

First, I am not being blockhead, second I never said that 2DS is not 3DS, but on contrary, my point is that 2DS is part of 3DS family despite is quite different than rest of 3DS family, and that will go for Switch Mini/Pocket also, despite its will different to current Switch it will still be part of Switch family. Like I wrote, I am 90% sure we will have cheaper, smaller Switch just for handheld play in around 1.5-2 years (it will be ready for launch when 3DS dies), you dont think we will have Switch Mini/Pocket and thats opposite of what I saying so offcourse I cant agree with you and your arguments, but offcourse, there are some chanches that we will not get Switch Mini/Pocket and that you are right, but IMO they are minimal, like 10%, at end we can only wait and see.

Well, looks like I was wrong. Rumors point towards a switch revision towards the end of 2019.

Though I predict this to be a New 3DS type thing. A more efficient Switch, with a Nvidia Tegra X2, and improvements in places such as screen quality and battery life. I expect this to completely replace the original model (so it gets discontinued as soon as new model launches).

However,I still stand by the other half of my prediction. I maintain the new Switch will retain the almost the same form factor and size. No XL model, no mini model, no TV only model, no budget lite model, no pro model. For the reasons stated in the OP.

At any given point in time only one type of switch will officially be sold.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 05 October 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I came here to laugh at you !

Well, there goes that prediction. Although it was doomed from the start.