By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (prediction) The Switch won't see any hardware revisions/variations in its life-cycle whatsoever

flashfire926 said:

First of all, console upgrade and new version is a must on electronic Industries . To generate less onmanufacturing cost and increasing some profit , Nintendo like it or not, they will soon revising their internal chip.

Second , Nintendo need to keep a life cycle product, to keep the sales up, by renewing their product they will have a steady sales, so instead of releasing new consoles every year, they will instead renewing and make small modification , by re-branding and made some small improvement without loosing a big cost. 

Like it or not, if the new tech is coming , the old spare parts will not be produce anymore and it will be more expensive, then the new chips, so they will replace the old one with something better , cheaper, and smaller. 

In terms of tech perspective and Marketing perspective, hardware revision is a must or i could say a normal thing in Videogame Industries. 

Around the Network

If people get confused by joycon sizes, then they might as well buy a Wii U Pro Controller for the Switch and wonder why it doesn't work. And that wouldn't stop Nintendo either way.

Revisions will happen for multiple reasons. In a few years, there'll be more power/cost-efficient components for the system (screens, batteries, CPUs, GPUs), and there's no way Nintendo will ignore that. Heck, we already see it with Sony and MS home consoles constantly (PS4/3/2 slim, Xbox One S and whatever the 360 had).

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I almost agree with OP, revisions are going to become less frequent with the Switch ...

Transistor technology progression is slowing down ... (less chances to upgrade the chips)
Big form factor ? (how much bigger does the Switch need to be ?)
Non-portable SKU ? (effectively kills one of the selling points of the platform)

eh.. I give this prediction a ~5% chance

there will very certainly be hardware revisions that change the APU die size/mainboard and probably affect battery size, pretty much every console that is seen as "success" had these (I'm unsure about N64 though)

but even if those "don't count" there is a very decent chance for a mini or handheld only Switch, as this could deal reduce prize and size, which both are suboptimal for a handheld and there is a good chunk of customers who'd buy it as a handheld/never use docked

fatslob-:O said:
I almost agree with OP, revisions are going to become less frequent with the Switch ...

Transistor technology progression is slowing down ... (less chances to upgrade the chips)
Big form factor ? (how much bigger does the Switch need to be ?)
Non-portable SKU ? (effectively kills one of the selling points of the platform)

wat ? we had 14/16nm node roll out in 2014, the 10nm node has gone live this year and 7nm is expected to hit in 2019/2020 - transistor tech has accelrated this gen

I don't see how the Switch won't :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I dunno about that. Many of the past Nintendo products got at least 1 revision. Gamecube, N64 and Wii U are more the exception that the standard. I think it's possible the Switch will get at least one.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Lafiel said:

wat ? we had 14/16nm node roll out in 2014, the 10nm node has gone live this year and 7nm is expected to hit in 2019/2020 - transistor tech has accelrated this gen

22nm - 2012

14nm - 2014 

10nm - 2018 (Cannonlake is releasing next year and not in 2016 as originally planned)

7nm - 2020/2021 ? 

You should also be wary of what semiconductor manufacturer's advertise as well including Intel ... (GF/TSMC's initial 7nm process is less dense than Intel's 10nm process, only Samsung's 7nm process will actually be more dense than Intel's 10nm process cause their using EUV first but even then it's not 2x the density that you would normally get from a full node shrink.) 

I won't speculate what the upgrade/remodels might be (every second person seems to have their own opinions about that) but I'm 100% certain there will be a remodel in the future (personally I would like a sturdier feeling machine without removable joycons but it's just a want not something I'm necessarily going to get)

yourwishfulthinking .

You do know that the 3DS exists, do you?

I predict that the Switch will have at least 2 iterations. How else are they going to sell 80m units?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.