By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (prediction) The Switch won't see any hardware revisions/variations in its life-cycle whatsoever

The Switch TV already exists, it is called the Nvidia Shield TV.



Around the Network

"It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture,”
“It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems"

Iwata, 2014.



fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually revisions could become more frequent with Switch because with fact that Switch is hybrid there too many opportunities of different types of Switch hardware and price points.

Switch is 28nm and there is already 20nm Nvidia chip that gives better battery life and less heat. Switch doesn't need to be bigger, but always is nice to have more variations of hardware (look at 3DS). Nintendo already released 2DS like part of 3DS family, that tells us that Nintendo does not fear to make different versions of console.

The Switch uses 20nm technology ... 

And the Switch arguably has less paths to choose from than the other Nintendo handhelds before once we factor in the things I mentioned ... (the only reasonable aspect of releasing non-portable SKU is to get a potentially lower price)

Yes, my bad, Switch is using 20nm and there is already 16nm Nvidia Tegra chip...rest of my post.

Switch Mini/Pocket is almost certain thing, bigger Switch with 1080p screen that will have same performance in handheld mode like currently has in docked mode is also possible with new Tegra, maybe we could have even Switch just for home TV use but for that chances are definitely much smaller than for Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play. Its not point only about lower price point, but about difrent price points and difrent type of revisions that suits difrent neeed of consumers, look at 3DS, you have price point from $80 to $200,from 2DS that isn't clamshell form factor and dont have 3D to New 3DS XL.



Miyamotoo said:

Yes, my bad, Switch is using 20nm and there is already 16nm Nvidia Tegra chip...rest of my post.

Switch Mini/Pocket is almost certain thing, bigger Switch with 1080p screen that will have same performance in handheld mode like currently has in docked mode is also possible with new Tegra, maybe we could have even Switch just for home TV use but for that chances are definitely much smaller than for Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play. Its not point only about lower price point, but about difrent price points and difrent type of revisions that suits difrent neeed of consumers, look at 3DS, you have price point from $80 to $200,from 2DS that isn't clamshell form factor and dont have 3D to New 3DS XL.

16nm doesn't have any density improvements compared to 20nm ... 



A bad prediction. A really bad one.

There are certainly problems with many of the suggestions that people have made, but that doesn't mean that Switch won't have revisions.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

The only kind of revision that I could see happening is a stronger Switch, that could also be thinner.But this revision would only improve:Battery life, since the components used would be more efficient and smaller, allowing for more space for the battery.
Better screen resolution for the Seitch own screen, being able to go to 1080 for example.
And overall better stability and resolution bumps for games, both in handheld mode and TV mode, due to the Switch being stronger.
And thats it.No Switch mini or Switch TV will happen, because the Seitch is a hybrid at its core, and killing either part of it will not only confuse the customers, but it would be an outright bad decision.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, my bad, Switch is using 20nm and there is already 16nm Nvidia Tegra chip...rest of my post.

Switch Mini/Pocket is almost certain thing, bigger Switch with 1080p screen that will have same performance in handheld mode like currently has in docked mode is also possible with new Tegra, maybe we could have even Switch just for home TV use but for that chances are definitely much smaller than for Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play. Its not point only about lower price point, but about difrent price points and difrent type of revisions that suits difrent neeed of consumers, look at 3DS, you have price point from $80 to $200,from 2DS that isn't clamshell form factor and dont have 3D to New 3DS XL.

16nm doesn't have any density improvements compared to 20nm ... 

Tegra X2 is 16nm and compared to Tegra X1 that is in Switch it's much more energy efficient and has some other improvements. Switch revisions will probably likely use Tegra X2.



Miyamotoo said:

Tegra X2 is 16nm and compared to Tegra X1 that is in Switch it's much more energy efficient and has some other improvements. Switch revisions will probably likely use Tegra X2.

Tegra X2 only improves the maximum GPU frequency by 12% within similar TDP range ... 

TSMC's 16nm is actually 20nm with their FinFET technology ... (Tegra X2 in comparison to Tegra X1 is a dud in terms of efficiency improvements) 



Darwinianevolution said:
A question, how much cheaper could a Switch TV be? No battery, no screen, no dockable parts... How much cheaper could it be compared to the regular model?

That won't matter to a person who just wants the system to be used at home. They just want the form factor removed. It still knock off $30-50. They can throw a pro controller in the set than. Keep the pricing the same.

Nautilus said:
The only kind of revision that I could see happening is a stronger Switch, that could also be thinner.But this revision would only improve:Battery life, since the components used would be more efficient and smaller, allowing for more space for the battery.
Better screen resolution for the Seitch own screen, being able to go to 1080 for example.
And overall better stability and resolution bumps for games, both in handheld mode and TV mode, due to the Switch being stronger.
And thats it.No Switch mini or Switch TV will happen, because the Seitch is a hybrid at its core, and killing either part of it will not only confuse the customers, but it would be an outright bad decision.

Just like how the 2DS confused killed the 3DS.



archer9234 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
A question, how much cheaper could a Switch TV be? No battery, no screen, no dockable parts... How much cheaper could it be compared to the regular model?

That won't matter to a person who just wants the system to be used at home. They just want the form factor removed. It still knock off $30-50. They can throw a pro controller in the set than. Keep the pricing the same.

If Nintendo releases a Switch TV that costs half the price of a regular console, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in it, even if they just want a secondary console to play one or two games with it.There's a big potential market there.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.