By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (prediction) The Switch won't see any hardware revisions/variations in its life-cycle whatsoever

The only kind of revision that I could see happening is a stronger Switch, that could also be thinner.But this revision would only improve:Battery life, since the components used would be more efficient and smaller, allowing for more space for the battery.
Better screen resolution for the Seitch own screen, being able to go to 1080 for example.
And overall better stability and resolution bumps for games, both in handheld mode and TV mode, due to the Switch being stronger.
And thats it.No Switch mini or Switch TV will happen, because the Seitch is a hybrid at its core, and killing either part of it will not only confuse the customers, but it would be an outright bad decision.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, my bad, Switch is using 20nm and there is already 16nm Nvidia Tegra chip...rest of my post.

Switch Mini/Pocket is almost certain thing, bigger Switch with 1080p screen that will have same performance in handheld mode like currently has in docked mode is also possible with new Tegra, maybe we could have even Switch just for home TV use but for that chances are definitely much smaller than for Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play. Its not point only about lower price point, but about difrent price points and difrent type of revisions that suits difrent neeed of consumers, look at 3DS, you have price point from $80 to $200,from 2DS that isn't clamshell form factor and dont have 3D to New 3DS XL.

16nm doesn't have any density improvements compared to 20nm ... 

Tegra X2 is 16nm and compared to Tegra X1 that is in Switch it's much more energy efficient and has some other improvements. Switch revisions will probably likely use Tegra X2.

Miyamotoo said:

Tegra X2 is 16nm and compared to Tegra X1 that is in Switch it's much more energy efficient and has some other improvements. Switch revisions will probably likely use Tegra X2.

Tegra X2 only improves the maximum GPU frequency by 12% within similar TDP range ... 

TSMC's 16nm is actually 20nm with their FinFET technology ... (Tegra X2 in comparison to Tegra X1 is a dud in terms of efficiency improvements) 

Darwinianevolution said:
A question, how much cheaper could a Switch TV be? No battery, no screen, no dockable parts... How much cheaper could it be compared to the regular model?

That won't matter to a person who just wants the system to be used at home. They just want the form factor removed. It still knock off $30-50. They can throw a pro controller in the set than. Keep the pricing the same.

Nautilus said:
The only kind of revision that I could see happening is a stronger Switch, that could also be thinner.But this revision would only improve:Battery life, since the components used would be more efficient and smaller, allowing for more space for the battery.
Better screen resolution for the Seitch own screen, being able to go to 1080 for example.
And overall better stability and resolution bumps for games, both in handheld mode and TV mode, due to the Switch being stronger.
And thats it.No Switch mini or Switch TV will happen, because the Seitch is a hybrid at its core, and killing either part of it will not only confuse the customers, but it would be an outright bad decision.

Just like how the 2DS confused killed the 3DS.

archer9234 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
A question, how much cheaper could a Switch TV be? No battery, no screen, no dockable parts... How much cheaper could it be compared to the regular model?

That won't matter to a person who just wants the system to be used at home. They just want the form factor removed. It still knock off $30-50. They can throw a pro controller in the set than. Keep the pricing the same.

If Nintendo releases a Switch TV that costs half the price of a regular console, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in it, even if they just want a secondary console to play one or two games with it.There's a big potential market there.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Tegra X2 only improves the maximum GPU frequency by 12% within similar TDP range ... 

TSMC's 16nm is actually 20nm with their FinFET technology ... (Tegra X2 in comparison to Tegra X1 is a dud in terms of efficiency improvements) 

Maximum GPU frequency doesn't tell us how much TDP range would be in with Switch clocks.

But this is intresting:

"In a bit of a departure from the TX1, NVIDIA is canonizing two performance modes on the TX2: Max-Q and Max-P. Max-Q is the company’s name for TX2’s energy efficiency mode; at 7.5W, this mode clocks the Parker SoC for efficiency over performance – essentially placing it right before the bend in the power/performance curve – with NVIDIA claiming that this mode offers 2x the energy efficiency of the Jetson TX1."

Nautilus said:

You are wrong, 2DS didn't confuse anybody and wasnt bad decision (despite ists not DS and dont have 3D), same would be with Switch Mini/Pocket, you have regular Switch but you would also had cheaper, smaller Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play, there is no any confusion.

Smaller and cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket just for handheld play is almost certain thing when 3DS dies (probably will be 1st Switch revision), if some people here think that Nintendo will relase onother seperate handheld platform thats not part of Switch, there are very wrong. People need to realise that Switch is unfided Nintendo platform, and that Nintendo will not have any more separate handheld and separate home console platforms, with that on mind Switch like hybrid device will have multiple different type of revisions with difrent price points that will all be part of same platform, something similar like 3DS has.

Slarvax said:
If people get confused by joycon sizes, then they might as well buy a Wii U Pro Controller for the Switch and wonder why it doesn't work. And that wouldn't stop Nintendo either way.

Revisions will happen for multiple reasons. In a few years, there'll be more power/cost-efficient components for the system (screens, batteries, CPUs, GPUs), and there's no way Nintendo will ignore that. Heck, we already see it with Sony and MS home consoles constantly (PS4/3/2 slim, Xbox One S and whatever the 360 had).

I get what you're saying. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that Nintendo won't make a Switch that takes advantages in advances in technology to create a "New Nintendo Switch" model that has a better battery life, or can play docked mode for a reasonable amount of time on battery power. I think it's a given that something like that will happen eventually. I mean, why wouldn't they?

I think what the OP is really trying to get at is that he doesn't think that Nintendo is going to mess with the dimensions of Joycons, nor exclude joycons, and I think there's a lot of merit to that. I think the joycons sets a limitation to what revisions or models Nintendo will release. I mean the device is called the "Switch" its fair to assume that any "Switch" is going to be able to "switch" between a home use and a portable use, and between. This to me, means that it is unlikely that Nintendo will release a model without detachable joycons, or require joycons of a different size.

A 3DS replacement on the other hand.... :) let's save that one for another time shall we?

While none of these may emerge, that does not mean the Switch will not have revisions or variations -- this is ridiculous to argue. Switch TV won't happen because there is already a Switch TV that is also portable... and it is called the Switch.

But a Switch Pro with improved specs? Sounds like a strong possibility. An improved dock? Yes, again. A Switch Mini?
Still a possibility with nondetachable controllers. An upgrade on the current some years down the road with new hardware but full compatibility? Yes, again.

Remember, Nintendo this time is buying the chip from NVidia. There is zero incentive to keep an old tech around for very long when NVidia will be able to match the performance with 100% compatibility, while reducing costs. Nintendo will revise the system, and if anything, they will try to turn it into an ecosystem. The more devices that are compatible with Switch software, the better for Nintendo.

Saying something can't happen is usually the first step to it happening. I personally favor a Switch that simply doesn't come with a dock, though.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames