By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever wish the console wars were closer?

Do you wish the sales were closer?

Yes. Those were great times! 87 39.55%

No. Microsoft and Nintend... 66 30.00%

Sony doesn't need compet... 39 17.73%

I like that we all own th... 16 7.27%

I'm a PC gamer. Pay attention to me! 12 5.45%

Total:220
NATO said:
d21lewis said:

Last gen was so much fun because everyone was winning and everyone was losing.

Last gen Wii won by a country mile, what are you talking about?

Yep, Wii lead to PS3 or X360 was even more significant than PS2 to Dreamcast.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:

If you win by a landslide or are winning by a landslide's easy to get arrogant and complacent.

SEGA and Nintendo kept one another on their toes and that console gen is still regarded as the best console war ever. Look at WWF vs WCW. WCW creates NWO and has a more adult look to WWF more family friendly program. This forces WWF to create the Attitude era. To this day regarded as some of the most entertaining stuff WWE ever did. WCW goes out of business and for more than a decade no one has come close to challenging them. They have been so complacent. PPV numbers dropped off and live crowds not showing up nearly as much and ratings setting record lows last I checked a couple years ago.  We need Xbox and Nintendo and Sony to keep one another on their toes to strive to be better. When Sony says fuck anyone who wants cross platform play. They are saying we are No 1, what can you do about it? Nintendo got arrogant after SNES and Wii. Sony did after PS2. What happened next was a disaster. 

WWE bought WCW and killed it.

Superman4 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

If you win by a landslide or are winning by a landslide's easy to get arrogant and complacent.

SEGA and Nintendo kept one another on their toes and that console gen is still regarded as the best console war ever. Look at WWF vs WCW. WCW creates NWO and has a more adult look to WWF more family friendly program. This forces WWF to create the Attitude era. To this day regarded as some of the most entertaining stuff WWE ever did. WCW goes out of business and for more than a decade no one has come close to challenging them. They have been so complacent. PPV numbers dropped off and live crowds not showing up nearly as much and ratings setting record lows last I checked a couple years ago.  We need Xbox and Nintendo and Sony to keep one another on their toes to strive to be better. When Sony says fuck anyone who wants cross platform play. They are saying we are No 1, what can you do about it? Nintendo got arrogant after SNES and Wii. Sony did after PS2. What happened next was a disaster. 

It was going to be killed either way, AOL Time Warner wanted nothing to do with it.

JRPGfan said:
Gamma626 said:
No. Microsoft is so far behind due to their own stupidity and inability to make good worthwhile reasons to purchase their console. They can drown until they actually learn their lesson, which at this rate appears like they won't.

It seems the lessons they learnt are;

Console bussiness isnt worth the effort, so keep the franchises that make lots of money (halo,gears,forza) and slowly try to move everything to the windows store, and get the console gamers there too (steam is very profitable, MS wants to be that).

Multiplayer and games as services, make money for along time, and you can have micro transactions help you turn profits, so everything should just go that way, I mean it only makes sense from a bussiness perspective right? So all games from now on they make, will be like that.

Maybe Im just being a negative nancy, but it really seems that way to me.

While PC Gaming is cool, I don’t see consoles going away until streaming is more accessible. Sony already has a leg up on this and that IMO is the future of gaming.  MS is trying to get that PC in the living room and the Onex is an attempt at doing just that, it has specs that can last a long time and for a gaming PC is still pretty cheap. What they should do is make an upgradable console I.E Small form factor PC that you can buy upgraded components for as they release them. Make the Bios only recognize official parts and have the games designed more like PC games, updates for newly releases upgrade hardware and optimizations based on your components installed.  That IMO is the best stop gap until the Internet speeds and streaming algorithms allow for 4K streaming of games.  It would essentially end the console race era and allow Sony and MS to update weak areas without an entire console redesign.

Not really. If you ask me to be completely honest.

What I really want is a Nintendo monopoly so that everybody has to put their games on Nintendo systems. And I'm not even a fan of Nintendo, I just want one more generation like that.

The last time it happened, it was pretty damn good. Probably the best it's ever been for gaming.

When there's a lot of competition, every damn game maker wants to make similar things better than one another. I don't consider that true evolution, it's a waste of fucking time and money for everyone.

Around the Network

Only if the competition was close between Sony and Nintendo with MS way behind. Last generation the 360 did so well in comparison to the PS3 at the start mostly because of the poor start of the PS3. Even though the 360 did get a lot of good exclusives, the exclusives it did get that contained their particular game design have aged horribly by todays standards and have flooded the market with bro shooters.

The PS2 had no competition and awesome games kept coming out for it long after it had the lead.

Edit:  If Nintendo doesn't go the Wii route again and sticks with hardcore games I'd like the competition between them and Sony to be close, otherwise screw that, Sony better Exodia Obliterate them.

Lube Me Up

Azelover said:

What I really want is a Nintendo monopoly so that everybody has to put their games on Nintendo systems. And I'm not even a fan of Nintendo, I just want one more generation like that.

The last time it happened, it was pretty damn good. Probably the best it's ever been for gaming.

When there's a lot of competition, every damn game maker wants to make similar things better than one another. I don't consider that true evolution, it's a waste of fucking time and money for everyone.

I'd say that the succeeding generations, which had much less of a monopoly, were better generations overall than the 3rd.

please forgive me for the double post. I was trying to edit the previous post.

Superman4 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Thanks Sherlock. Except WCW was losing money for years. Once Time Warner merged with AOL new execs got in charge. Eric had investors to buy the company but AOL/Time Warner didn't want t pay the TV deals anymore. So instead of the couple hundred million, Eric had to buy it, WWE bought it for 4, million because the TV deal would not come with it and not have those insane huge contracts of the bigger stars like Hogan,Sting,Nash and Hall. They were still under contract with Time Warner even tho WCW had new ownerhip. WCW would have stuck around longer but they made some key mistakes. They stuck to the same formula of NWO and milked it beyond it's worth. Didn't develop enough younger stars. Besides the whole point is the Monday Night Wars are looked at fondly because for a few short years Wrestling changed for the better. Why? Because one company challenged who was leading the way but the one who was leading the way thought the idea like Gobelty Gooker was a good use of Hector Guerrero's talents and think it would have been a good character.  WCW aimed to be more adult and less cartoonish (with exceptions like Yeti & Glacier) WWF had no choice but to respond with more adult programming as well. If WCW came up with new ideas instead of just milking nWo and developed new stars as they had a Young Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit and Eddie plus more.They could have kept that momentum longer and the AE era may have lasted a few more years. Point is, competition is good.

VGPolyglot said:
Azelover said:

I'd say that the succeeding generations, which had much less of a monopoly, were better generations overall than the 3rd.

Maybe for some people, but not for me.

Specially in the 32/64 bit era, a few games were pretty remarkable, and some controller advancements made for some new interesting forms of gaming, but nothing like what happened on the NES. Competition reduces the room for risk, everybody fights over the same fucking audience. I won't say every single monopoly is positive, but it's a whole lot better than videogame wars.

I've had enough of it. A least for a while I'd like something different.