By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever wish the console wars were closer?

Do you wish the sales were closer?

Yes. Those were great times! 87 39.55%

No. Microsoft and Nintend... 66 30.00%

Sony doesn't need compet... 39 17.73%

I like that we all own th... 16 7.27%

I'm a PC gamer. Pay attention to me! 12 5.45%

Total:220
ThisGuyFooks said:

As long as the Best console "wins" the generation im fine with it. I dont see why it should be closer when the competition is not up to par with the dominant console.

How can we measure what makes a Better Console? Well, games.

Taking into account both Quantity and Quality, we can objectively decide which is the better platform.

If we are taking into consideration that Playstation consoles have won 3 out of 4 generations in which they have competed, and by the metric that i mentioned earlier, we can comfortably say that the PS1, PS2 and PS4 have been the better consoles in each generation and they have won.

What happened with the PS3/X360 is what in my opinion shouldnt happen.

Both PS3 and X60 were so much better than the Wii, that it pains me to see it at first place.

For example:

According to Meta

90+ Games: PS3 (53) vs Wii (14)

80+ Games: PS3 (350) vs Wii (92)

The only problem I see on it is Sony burning too much money on making PS3 design to expensive to manufacture. It sold good and had good games, so people buying more Wii is their problem only.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This place would be more lively if that was the case, so I kinda do.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Well, it sure feels like last gen was what inspired the creation of this site, for sure.

I never want a monopoly that leads to stagnation and poor treatment of consumers. If a company does an awesome job though I don't begrudge them for dominating a market. I hope Sony hasn't forgot early PS3 days and makes PS5 an extension of good qualities of the PS4.

Gamma626 said:
No. Microsoft is so far behind due to their own stupidity and inability to make good worthwhile reasons to purchase their console. They can drown until they actually learn their lesson, which at this rate appears like they won't.

It seems the lessons they learnt are;

Console bussiness isnt worth the effort, so keep the franchises that make lots of money (halo,gears,forza) and slowly try to move everything to the windows store, and get the console gamers there too (steam is very profitable, MS wants to be that).

Multiplayer and games as services, make money for along time, and you can have micro transactions help you turn profits, so everything should just go that way, I mean it only makes sense from a bussiness perspective right? So all games from now on they make, will be like that.

Maybe Im just being a negative nancy, but it really seems that way to me.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Nem said:

Yes and no.

I think the current market reflects the efforts made by the 3 main companies. I think Sony's lead is deserved as they have done the most to deserve it. So, in that regard, no. I think it's fair.

On the other hand, yes, because that would mean all companies would be making considerable efforts that would enrich the market with more titles.

So... yeah, i think it depends more on companies making more atractive products, and i think that hasn't been happening and thus the present situation.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I like close competition when it's deserved. Both Nintendo with the Wii U and MS with the Xbox One didn't deserve better success. At this point, I can safely say that the Xbox One will be the first MS console that I don't own. As someone with a capable PC, the One has no exclusive content. It's ashame, outside of RROD, the MS that handled the first 3 years of the 360 was awesome. As a JRPG fan the PS3 was a wasteland outside of Valkyria Chronicles. The 360 covered all my bases. What happened to that company? That version of MS wouldn't be getting stomped thorougly by Sony.

Yeah man. RROD aside, it was a great system during that time, and for a while it was much more of "a PS2 successor" than the real one, the PS3.

Nowadays, though, the impression I get is that MS no longer really cares as much (the parent company, not specifically the Xbox division...Phil Spencer and other people there might even want a return to early 360 days, but can´t do a damn thing if MS isn´t really enthusiastic), and even seem to be moving away from single player games.

JRPGfan said:
Gamma626 said:
No. Microsoft is so far behind due to their own stupidity and inability to make good worthwhile reasons to purchase their console. They can drown until they actually learn their lesson, which at this rate appears like they won't.

It seems the lessons they learnt are;

Console bussiness isnt worth the effort, so keep the franchises that make lots of money (halo,gears,forza) and slowly try to move everything to the windows store, and get the console gamers there too (steam is very profitable, MS wants to be that).

Multiplayer and games as services, make money for along time, and you can have micro transactions help you turn profits, so everything should just go that way, I mean it only makes sense from a bussiness perspective right? So all games from now own they make, so be like that.

Maybe Im just being a negative nancy, but it really seems that way to me.

I really want to be very very far from game as services and also microtransactions as possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not really. I like that I don't ever have to buy another console besides PS4 and Switch. In fact, I would love to have everything on PS4. Less money spent, more games. I don't want MS to go out of business, but I hope they keep irrelevant (for my gaming taste) for the next years.

Not really.

The XB1 was anti consumer, american centric, Kinect bundled without a choice, and it deserved to fail. Nowadays there is a lack of compelling games western or japanese. XB1 needs a big hit like Halo did back in the day, Sony already released a few new big ips to strengthen the PS4.

The Wii U had very little support and never received a price cut, so it too deserved to fail. For many months in fact it was more expensive than XB1.

The Vita was anti consumer again with the memory cards being way too expensive. Lack of price cuts for both memory cards and the system leads to fail.

In the 7th gen each company tried their hardest, in the 8th gen they deserve low sales for low effort.