By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever wish the console wars were closer?

Do you wish the sales were closer?

Yes. Those were great times! 87 39.55%

No. Microsoft and Nintend... 66 30.00%

Sony doesn't need compet... 39 17.73%

I like that we all own th... 16 7.27%

I'm a PC gamer. Pay attention to me! 12 5.45%

Total:220
Azelover said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'd say that the succeeding generations, which had much less of a monopoly, were better generations overall than the 3rd.

Maybe for some people, but not for me.

Specially in the 32/64 bit era, a few games were pretty remarkable, and some controller advancements made for some new interesting forms of gaming, but nothing like what happened on the NES. Competition reduces the room for risk, everybody fights over the game fucking audience. I won't say every single monopoly is positive, but it's a whole lot better than videogame wars.

I've had enough of it. A least for a while I'd like something different.

What was so revolutionary about the 3rd generation that the 5th generation wasn't?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Azelover said:

Maybe for some people, but not for me.

Specially in the 32/64 bit era, a few games were pretty remarkable, and some controller advancements made for some new interesting forms of gaming, but nothing like what happened on the NES. Competition reduces the room for risk, everybody fights over the game fucking audience. I won't say every single monopoly is positive, but it's a whole lot better than videogame wars.

I've had enough of it. A least for a while I'd like something different.

What was so revolutionary about the 3rd generation that the 5th generation wasn't?

Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Zelda. Just to name a few. They weren't in direct competition, people were really trying to creat and grow the market. Create a new space.

There was no such a thing after that with the regular consoles.

Azelover said:
VGPolyglot said:

Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Zelda. Just to name a few.

All of those franchises, barring Duck Hunt, were around during the 5th gen

VGPolyglot said:
Azelover said:

Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Zelda. Just to name a few.

All of those franchises, barring Duck Hunt, were around during the 5th gen

Yeah but were they brand new? Were they breaking new ground?

You missed my point. Look at how many First Person Shooters were made during the videogame wars. Even Sonic was made on a strong foundation created by Mario.

DonFerrari said:
NATO said:

Last gen Wii won by a country mile, what are you talking about?

Yep, Wii lead to PS3 or X360 was even more significant than PS2 to Dreamcast.

10 Million and some change.

Ive never witnessed such dominance!

Around the Network

Yeah. I dont care for the Xbox brand and their is a part of me that is glad they are getting trounced cause of the crap they tried to pull at the start of the gen. But its kinda sad at this point, MS IMHO keeps Sony in check more so than Nintendo does. And i dont think its beyond Sony to get silly again.

Azelover said:
VGPolyglot said:

Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Zelda. Just to name a few. They weren't in direct competition, people were really trying to creat and grow the market. Create a new space.

There was no such a thing after that with the regular consoles.

There is only so much you can do before it being similar to another thing. So 3rd gen had more "evolution" because it was less evoluted before. Simple as that.

ThisGuyFooks said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, Wii lead to PS3 or X360 was even more significant than PS2 to Dreamcast.

10 Million and some change.

Ive never witnessed such dominance!

Yes, it was excruciating to see the leader almost tie with 2nd and 3rd... nothing like those silly 5:1, 6:1 or 15:1 PS2 was putting.

oniyide said:
Yeah. I dont care for the Xbox brand and their is a part of me that is glad they are getting trounced cause of the crap they tried to pull at the start of the gen. But its kinda sad at this point, MS IMHO keeps Sony in check more so than Nintendo does. And i dont think its beyond Sony to get silly again.

Current sales is enough to have Sony worried about MS and not be cucko again.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NATO said:
d21lewis said:

Last gen was so much fun because everyone was winning and everyone was losing.

Last gen Wii won by a country mile, what are you talking about?

Nintendo won. Wii won. Nintendo gamers? Ehh...

Of course it dominated in sales but Wii owners, myself included, suffered from a lack of third party support, online bells and whistles, hardware power, and really just compelling reasons to turn the console on in comparison to the "HD Twins". 

By "everyone was winning and everyone was losing" I meant every console fanbase had it's pros and cons. Every fan base had something they could brag about having the best experience with and every fan base was having the worst experience at something. There was balance.

No systems dominated like ps1 and ps2. PS4 basically ko'd Wii U early and made Nintendo go hybrid. X1 has no shot also