By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever wish the console wars were closer?

Do you wish the sales were closer?

Yes. Those were great times! 87 39.55%

No. Microsoft and Nintend... 66 30.00%

Sony doesn't need compet... 39 17.73%

I like that we all own th... 16 7.27%

I'm a PC gamer. Pay attention to me! 12 5.45%

Total:220

I was going to choose closer, but ended up picking MS and NiN deserve it, and not because I like seeing them losing or failing either. I did because all it took was for Wii and the 360 to put PS3 in a place where it was still ok, but made it clear PS shouldn't try and fly so close to the sun, because your going to get burned, and could lose your wings.
It also took the Wii U, a poorly marketed, too expensive, out of date hardware, poor third party software console, to make NiN smarten up and realize they need to either build an evolving, all encompassing gaming ecosystem like the PS4 has now, or go the route of Switch. One or the other.
Both PS and NiN clearly learned their lesson, for the most part, and it's paying off. Now we can only assume XB will learn from their XB1 mistakes, and return to their 360 days when XB2 arrives.
Which should hopefully lead to another epic, yet friendly console war.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Kinneas14 said:
Last gen was amazing. I loved the ways companies tried to get marketshare (PS Move, Kinect, price cuts, slim versions).

Now everything is so stagnant and the winners of the generation were clear right after the first few months after launch.

Yeah so stagnant with stuff like PS VR, the price cuts, the PS4 Slim and Pro. New ways to play like SharePlay and PlayLink.

I know what you mean. However, I think there is less buzz, because of the lack of real competition.

It might be just a personal impression though.

I wanna say yes but I can't deny that last gen was the one that I had the least fun. I game a lot more this gen like I used to back during 5th and 6th generation. I know conventional wisdom says that competition is good but in this case my experience has shown me that one console dominating gives me more games I want to play.

NawaiNey said:
I wanna say yes but I can't deny that last gen was the one that I had the least fun. I game a lot more this gen like I used to back during 5th and 6th generation. I know conventional wisdom says that competition is good but in this case my experience has shown me that one console dominating gives me more games I want to play.

observational data, by alot of people say otherwise like you mentioned.

I too prefer when Sony is on top, it "seems" like we get more diverse games when that happend.

Last gen there wherent as many jrpgs as usual, and we had more shooters than normal.

Yes. I'd rather have heated arguments than the smug self-satisfaction of fanboys. I don't even want to imagine what happens when Switch inevitably overtakes X1.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Rol brought up a great point though, while competition was good for offerings, it was really bad for the financials.
Had it continued this gen, we wouldve lost the innovation anyway, when one of them would have consequently had to bow out.

Rol always brings up good points. Sometimes I just want to punch him.

I've always preferred that the console war be close, but that's actually rather uncommon when looking to past generations. The Wii/Xbox360/PS3 was one of my fav gens for that reason, though.

I would like for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to all be on equal footing... Everyone should.
Competition is what drives innovation, makes manufacturers more willing to be competitive on pricing... And that results in big boons for the consumer.

Monopolies are bad.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not really, because it's not like I could do anything about anything. On the other hand though things last gen were more interesting because of it, and I was more interested in news and drama and things because each announcement could potentially turn tides.

If Sony messed up on this gen, then everyone would be laughing at them and leave them behind. Why would Nintendo and Microsoft need to be closer? Sony took the upperhand and it paid out greatly for them. If they want to be close, they should fight for it. Nintendo has a better chance to get close at this moment, though. Won't surpass Sony, but they'll be close.