By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever wish the console wars were closer?

Do you wish the sales were closer?

Yes. Those were great times! 87 39.55%

No. Microsoft and Nintend... 66 30.00%

Sony doesn't need compet... 39 17.73%

I like that we all own th... 16 7.27%

I'm a PC gamer. Pay attention to me! 12 5.45%

Total:220

Well, honestly I'm not really a fan of the console wars. Fans on all sides fighting each other over who the best 'console' as well as talking down the competition I find to be terrible and irritating. I do like when competition does result in better deals for the general audience though

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Sony domination is usual what's best for gaming. We're seeing it now like we did with ps1 and ps2 era. The best eras of gaming

Nem said:

Yes and no.

I think the current market reflects the efforts made by the 3 main companies. I think Sony's lead is deserved as they have done the most to deserve it. So, in that regard, no. I think it's fair.

On the other hand, yes, because that would mean all companies would be making considerable efforts that would enrich the market with more titles.

So... yeah, i think it depends more on companies making more atractive products, and i think that hasn't been happening and thus the present situation.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I like close competition when it's deserved. Both Nintendo with the Wii U and MS with the Xbox One didn't deserve better success. At this point, I can safely say that the Xbox One will be the first MS console that I don't own. As someone with a capable PC, the One has no exclusive content. It's ashame, outside of RROD, the MS that handled the first 3 years of the 360 was awesome. As a JRPG fan the PS3 was a wasteland outside of Valkyria Chronicles. The 360 covered all my bases. What happened to that company? That version of MS wouldn't be getting stomped thorougly by Sony.

Hell no! It is great to see the PS4 blow away its competition and continue to widen its lead. Go the PS4. I love the console sales wars. Wii owners enjoyed Nintendo's win last generation and now it is the PS4s time to shine!

I do believe in competition and all, and it would be great to have other consoles to play, but I definitely consider myself more of a Sony guy anyway.

Last gen everyone seemed so into the Xbox 360, and I never understood why. The cheaper price tag seemed to be a huge factor, BUT after you bought a wireless adapter (remember, the 360 didn't have a built in wireless card) AND you picked up the HD DVD add-on, it was $600 too. Not to mention that, at the time, $600 was CHEAP for a blu-ray player, plus it played games!

Personally, I had THREE RRoDs too. I didn't even bother to send it in the third time. That was pretty much when I gave up on Xbox. So I'm glad Sony is back on top, but the 2:1 sales numbers are a bit depressing.

Around the Network

they have been fairly close for the last number of gens between Nintendo and Sony if you tally home+handheld consoles together (Nintendo good with 3DS and bad with Wii U, Sony good with PS4 bad with PSVita), landslide for Nintendo with DS + Wii versus PS3 + PSP, landslide for Sony during PS2 era

long story short- Nintendo and Sony do have an actual war in term of dedicated video gaming devices

Microsoft however.... they've never been #1

Blame smartphones and people not buying consoles as they used to

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Not really if I'm being honest. Sony seems to have been really willing to take risks on smaller and weirder games lately because they don't have to worry about everything they put out making a ton of money. Sony has really brought its A game this gen, and I think the PS4 being such a success has helped facilitate that.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

No. Gaming should be about games first of all, not fretting about consoles being neck and neck. But, I do think there should be competitors in the market still at the very least. The appearance of Sony and MS in the gaming industry threw in some nice monkey wrenches as far as approaches to console gaming. But, as I stick mainly with PC, it's more relaxing not to be on the losing end of console slapfights. You can just game without worrying if your console is going to get usurped or not.

I am also blinded by nostalgia like the OP =p I remember the close race at times last gen, those were good times. Still, any spectator-based activity is more exciting with more tension, so if I think it's implied for everyone.