By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your unpopular/controversial gaming opinions

Super_Boom said:
Nem said:

I'm not content with Nintendo and the switch. I still think that it's just another Wii U with a screen you can take further and didn't do enough to adress the problems Nintendo home consoles have. It was just another piece of hardware pushed out.
(I know you're raging and pressing the quote button, because ofc you are. Don't do it, i don't want to debate it. Not what this thread is.)

To be honest....this is why I despise threads like this, they go against the very reason for having a forum in the first place. If you feel strongly about something, you should be ready to defend it, otherwise what's the point of having that opinion? I find it obnoxious how the people who are contributing more than just "my opinion deal with it" are the ones being villified.

"Unpopular Opinion threads" are just a fancy name for "Safe zone where I can say unpopular stuff without needing to debate it." It's why I cringe whenever one of these threads pops up. It's even worse than the old "Am I the only one who XXX" threads we used to see.

Not referring to you alone with this rant...but the bolded is certainly an example of it.

To be honest I feel like if you go back and reply to 90% of people in this thread asking why or countering their opinion with your reasons, they will go as far as they can to defend their opinion. Yes, there is the odd 10% who are like "deal with it", mostly fanboys and haters, but I really don't think most people are like that here.

but anyways, it looks like you have an unpopular opinion on unpopular opinion threads :P

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Thought about it some more.

- The tales of.. franchise peaked on the GC with Tales of Symphonia.
- Life is Strange is awful.
- I believe that Playstation's installbase is mostly made up of dudebro's and casual gamers, who buy the yearly FIFA (or other sports game depending on region), GTA and FPS. Thereby inflating the attach rate of the system (in Europe at least). I don't think these people are loyal to the platform and mostly chose that platform because of peer pressure.
- Terranigma > Chrono Trigger

coolbeans said:
theRepublic said:

Someone forgot about GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.

As much as I regard Goldeneye for cultivating my fascination with the FPS genre today, I don't think "working well" universally applies to those--especially for PC players back then.  The fundamentals for console FPS gaming were slowly moving ahead, but it was Halo that cemented the 'standardization staples' we see in console FPS today.  

The two big ones from Halo that got copied were regenerating health and limiting you to two weapons.  Perfect Dark had already solved that selection problem with a quick select instead of cycling through your whole inventory.  At this point I think of the two weapon limit as just a fun stealer.  You are already a one-man walking army in FPS anyway, might as well have the arsenal to go with it.  I did enjoy the regenerating health.

On the controls, I personally think the C-buttons worked very well as an alternate to what would eventually become a second analog stick.  Just using the joystick and left and right C-buttons let you do all the straffing you could ask for.  It still holds up for me.

I mean, those two games sold over 8 million and 2.5 million respectively.  I don't think games that "don't work well" sell that much.  And let's not forget they were both reviewed extremely well, with each sitting at just under 95% on Gamerankings (both are even higher on Metacritic if that is your thing).

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Super_Boom said:
Nem said:

I'm not content with Nintendo and the switch. I still think that it's just another Wii U with a screen you can take further and didn't do enough to adress the problems Nintendo home consoles have. It was just another piece of hardware pushed out.
(I know you're raging and pressing the quote button, because ofc you are. Don't do it, i don't want to debate it. Not what this thread is.)

To be honest....this is why I despise threads like this, they go against the very reason for having a forum in the first place. If you feel strongly about something, you should be ready to defend it, otherwise what's the point of having that opinion? I find it obnoxious how the people who are contributing more than just "my opinion deal with it" are the ones being villified.

"Unpopular Opinion threads" are just a fancy name for "Safe zone where I can say unpopular stuff without needing to debate it." It's why I cringe whenever one of these threads pops up. It's even worse than the old "Am I the only one who XXX" threads we used to see.

Not referring to you alone with this rant...but the bolded is certainly an example of it.

Tbh, i said that because i know that in this website Nintendo fans can be so sensitive they jump at anything that isn't praise for the switch. I've had the debates in the past. I'm just not bothered to repeat myself anymore. But yeah... it was the topic.

OTBWY said:

- I believe that Playstation's installbase is mostly made up of dudebro's and casual gamers, who buy the yearly FIFA (or other sports game depending on region), GTA and FPS. Thereby inflating the attach rate of the system (in Europe at least). I don't think these people are loyal to the platform and mostly chose that platform because of peer pressure.
- Terranigma > Chrono Trigger

This isn't very controversial especially when you consider that a large part of PS2 gamers switched to the 360 and back again to the PS4.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
NPCmates said:
I got a theory Xbox never really had that big of a fan base with its 85+mil last gen and that it was more like 45-55mil due to the fact heaps of people had to buy new ones. Everyone I personal know had to get a 2nd one and more than 50% of the people I knew brought more than 3. Not to mention the double dipping. Just a theory but have found a little bit of evidence to back it up. Every one thinks that the PR for the Xbox One was what fucked them and that might be true I still think it wasn't just the PR.

I have a similar theory about the Playstation 2.  Obviously, they sold a ton of both hardware and software.  I just think the hardware totals are pumped up a bit by people rebuying the console a second time.  So many people had problems with the Disc Read Error or some just wanted to upgrade to the slim model.  It is anecdotal, but a lot of people I know ended up buying at least two versions of the PS2.

How much is it pumped up?  No idea.  Maybe 10 or 20% higher than the actuall install base was?  Maybe more?  I just think there were a lot more re-purchases for the PS2 than either the original Xbox or Gamecube.

I agree like I never had any of those disc problems or knew anyone who had it but everyone I knew double dipped with that slim model its was just so damn cute and slim haha Ps2 numbers are pretty much up there due to a cheap DVD player which was big for the time. I think its safe to say Playstations fan base is probably around 90-100mil.

Nem said:

Maybe it's not uncommon, but it seems unpopular.

I thought since it was announced and still think that PS(VR) is a scam people regularly fall for (Also vevo and the others). It's a 3D screen in your face. Theres nothing revolutionary about it imo. There never was.

I enjoyed the Wii U. Didn't have many games, but it had really good ones and many ran at 60fps, something i wish every game did. Also, i'm typing this on the Wii U. 

I disliked The last of Us. It had horrible pacing, it felt like a badly stiched together game that went nowhere and didn't climax. I never understood what the rave was, besides some sort of resonance with american audiences in the setting.

Maybe less shocking but i think the Tales series became terrible since Xillia (too cliche, low budget). Fire emblem series became terrible since awakening (became a breeding and grind fest).

Monster hunter is terrible aswell imo. I dislike how unbelievably slow the combat is and i am not excited for world at all.

I find the idea of dying and wasting my progress in the souls series and clones that i'm not even willing to give it a chance. Combat looks slow aswell, just like MH. That kind of combat just doesn't roll with me.

I think i have more of these. I'm opinionated. :P

You are the only person on the internet that I encountered that actually likes the wiiu better than the switch. I have both systems, I went back into playing the wiiu and I already missed the switch. It was just way too big and the layout of the entire pad was just awkward. I am curious though. Did you ever use a switch?

Also if you post on a forum, expect someone to criticise your post. That is just how the internet works.

coolbeans said:
theRepublic said:

The two big ones from Halo that got copied were regenerating health and limiting you to two weapons.  Perfect Dark had already solved that selection problem with a quick select instead of cycling through your whole inventory.  At this point I think of the two weapon limit as just a fun stealer.  You are already a one-man walking army in FPS anyway, might as well have the arsenal to go with it.  I did enjoy the regenerating health.

On the controls, I personally think the C-buttons worked very well as an alternate to what would eventually become a second analog stick.  Just using the joystick and left and right C-buttons let you do all the straffing you could ask for.  It still holds up for me.

I mean, those two games sold over 8 million and 2.5 million respectively.  I don't think games that "don't work well" sell that much.  And let's not forget they were both reviewed extremely well, with each sitting at just under 95% on Gamerankings (both are even higher on Metacritic if that is your thing).

Neither health nor inventory were on my mind in my first comment.  The basis on my comment was solely on movement and control schemes.  For you?  That's fine.  Even if you're content enough with that, it's tough to deny there's a notable difference between dual-analog-stick movement and single-analog with a compensating button layout, not to mention non-ADS auto-aim the game often did for you.

Yes, they sold tremendously well and were critically praised; yet, you don't really have to go that far to see retrospectives (across forums or from critics) acknowledging their age.  None of that is to say their praise is unwarranted.  It's only to note their setup just wouldn't hold up to what PC gamers were getting at the time.  As someone who's played Halo on Xbox and PC you can tell that's when console FPS cleared that big hurdle, or at least was one of the first examples.

Ok...well, those are the most famous examples of the design of the game that have been copied.  I thought that is what you were refering to.  Halo also used non-ADS auto-aim.  Halo uses two types, one where it bends the bullets toward the target, and another that causes the camera to move with the target.  Not quite as strong as the version in GoldenEye, but some form of auto-aim is in pretty much all dual analog shooters.  And that is because to this day, mouse aiming is just more accurate.  And PC gamers still complain about it.

And that doesn't change the fact that GoldenEye is the first console FPS to show it was both possible and even good to do it on consoles.  Regardless of how you or anyone else thinks it aged, it was a massive hit both commerically and critically at the time.  Which is what matters.  At the time of release.  It wouldn't have been a critical success if it didn't work.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Wii U is the best Nintendo console (too soon to render an opinion on Switch).

Halo: CE is the best FPS ever made.

Earthbound (as it is known in the US) is the best RPG ever made.

Rayman Legends is the best game ever made, period.

Sonic > Mario

VAMatt said:
Rayman Legends is the best game ever made, period.

Sonic > Mario

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii