By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

Pokemon Switch 208 44.16%

Super Smash Bros Switch 68 14.44%

Animal Crossing 71 15.07%

Dragon Quest XI (Japan) 6 1.27%

Metroid Prime 4 88 18.68%

Yokai Watch (Japan) 2 0.42%

Monster Hunter World Ultimate 1 0.21%

New IP 27 5.73%

Total:471
mZuzek said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Hyrule: Souls of Sages

Made by From Software.

It's a Souls game but rated T. It take splace in the great war mentioned in LTTP. You play a unamed Hyrule Soldier who must free the sages. They have been taken over by the corruption of evil. You must defeat and free each sage before the ultimate evil is reborn and takes over Hyrule.

Don't worry, having bad taste is allowed by the forum rules.

I have no idea what this post means. I will say tho I never played the souls games. Never will. Just see people wanting Souls on Nintendo platforms and don't think many people would be opposed to a Zelda spinoff. Esp if they accepted a Warriors one.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I have no idea what this post means. I will say tho I never played the souls games. Never will. Just see people wanting Souls on Nintendo platforms and don't think many people would be opposed to a Zelda spinoff. Esp if they accepted a Warriors one.

I was just explaining why I never got banned for hating Dark Souls.

But seriously, no. It's as unfitting for Zelda as it gets (and I hate it). I wouldn't mind them releasing a Souls Trilogy on the Switch, as there's obviously an audience for that, but don't push it too far beyond that, you know? I'd rather be able to stay away from those games.

I'd rather see Otogi remade or remastered or hell a new Frame Gride but From won't listen to me. :(

Pokèmon won't come until 2019 or 2020 (hopefully 2019), at least that's what I think. Smash probably takes it away, better be more than a Wii U port.

Yep.

Ariakon said:
Soundwave said:

I would even neccessarily be so sure of that. ARMS has already shipped 1.12 mill or so, Metroid Prime 2 didn't hit a million and Metroid Prime 3 only got to 1.3 million LTD and that was released when the Wii was absolutely red hot (fall 2007). Prime 4 probably tops off at about 1.5-2 mill LTD though it could be helped by the Switch have a more core-centric userbase

I get where you're coming from and you may be right, but that core-centric userbase is why I think Switch owners will be much more receptive to Metroid than Wii owners were. 

I agree.  The Wii and DS userbases were very deceiving for companies making non-casual games.  Even though the Wii had a userbase of 100m, core games like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Animal Crossing and Smash typically had attach rates more comparable to a 35-40 million userbase if you use Gamecube attach rates as a reference.  Handhelds tell a similar story to me when I see core Nintendo games on the 3DS sell at a comparable rate to their DS counterparts despite only having half of its userbase.  I'm actually very optimistic about Metroid Prime 4's chances for success because the stars are aligning for it to be a good seller: there's extreme demand for it, the Switch is probably going to have the largest amount of core gamers on a Nintendo platform since the SNES and it's going to come out when the userbase is going to be fairly large and still very motivated to purchase games.  I expect it to be the best selling Metroid game of all time as long as it's a good game with a non-shit characterization of Samus.

Fire Emblem I believe is going to be their go 2 game. Though it depends how much effort they put into it.

Around the Network

It's hard to say. It's likely the list consists of these titles so far:

Fire Emblem, Yoshi, and Kirby.

I have doubts Metroid or Pokemon are happening next year, considering they've had nothing to show. Unless both titles are well into development, likely the earliest we'll see them is 2019.

I figure the killer title next year will be a title Nintendo will keep secret until next year.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

mZuzek said:
Nuvendil said:

Not touching on most of this but XENOBLADE. IS. FIRST. PARTY.  It's as first party as Mario.  Monolith was bought by Nintendo and began working on a new, Nintendo owned IP called Monado: the Beginning of the World.  The IP was then renamed to Xenoblade Chronicles.  It is a Nintendo first party IP.

Oh don't worry I knew this response was coming. I know Xenoblade is objectively, 100% first party, but I still don't think of it that way in my head, and it seems Nintendo doesn't either, because they don't seem to care nearly as much about it as they do about their EAD games (which would be the ones I'd think of as 'real' first party). I mean, all you have to do is look at the marketing, all the EAD games Nintendo promotes like hell and beyond, and then stuff like Xenoblade and Pokémon just mostly get ignored in most of their presentations except for a little trailer here or there (despite Pokémon being, you know, Pokémon).

Well, Pikmin didn't get much push on the Wii U.  No one questions that one being first party :P

And Xenoblade Chronicles X got a strong push all the way up to the end where they fumbled at the goal line which, let's be honest, sums up the Wii U's life story with software releases.  It was prominently featured in every Nintendo presentation, had extensive gameplay demos, some good ads, a video series, some dedicated directs.  Nintendo just dropped the ball big time with launch promotion.  Which they also did with Pikmin, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, etc etc.  

And Xenoblade 2 was the opening act at the January event, kicked off the meat of the Nintendo Spotlight, and had a good sized gameplay demo at E3.  And of course, they now emphasize the tie to the Nintendo brand more.  We'll see how they close it out, but if their current pattern holds, I'm hopeful for some agressive marketing.

And this, by the way, is a *problem* Nintendo needs to and hopefully is addressing.  The Nintendo brand is so much more than Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, the usual suspects.  They need to work to have Xenoblade, Metroid, Splatoon, Arms, all their franchises be equally synonymous with their brand as the usual faces everyone already knows.

While I don't think it will be a megahit, I do think Prime 4 has the potential to be the best selling game in the series for many of the reasons already mentioned. (That is, as long as they don't drop the ball and make it a godawful abomination like Other M)

Switch's lineup is so far lacking in grittier, more serious experiences, and Prime 4 could fill that gap nicely, thus diversifying the system's lineup and offering something to appeal to the kind of gamers who wouldn't normally purchase a Nintendo system.

Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch and Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus Uprising 2

I dunno about what will happen but it better be Animal Crossing. Been waiting way too long for the first HD entry in the series.