By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

Pokemon Switch 208 44.16%

Super Smash Bros Switch 68 14.44%

Animal Crossing 71 15.07%

Dragon Quest XI (Japan) 6 1.27%

Metroid Prime 4 88 18.68%

Yokai Watch (Japan) 2 0.42%

Monster Hunter World Ultimate 1 0.21%

New IP 27 5.73%

Total:471
Soundwave said:
Ariakon said:

I get where you're coming from and you may be right, but that core-centric userbase is why I think Switch owners will be much more receptive to Metroid than Wii owners were. 

It's still kinda the same userbase though, Metroid Prime on GameCube had a ton of hype and still only topped off at around 2 mill.

The truth is Metroid is just too slow/solitary of an IP to really have a huge mass audience. It's always been more "Alien" than "Star Wars".

Nintendo would be wise though I think to make a new FPS franchise that they own. Splatoon is a third person team based shooter and that's done great, but I think there's still a void that Nintendo could fill with a multiplayer FPS shooter, GoldenEye and Turok and Perfect Dark did so well for them back in the day, I think leaving the genre and/or thinking Metroid Prime was somehow going to fill that void was always a mistake. 

Not entirely true as I'd say that void for that branch of FPS games was filled by Prime as the Prime series is technically the successor to the Turok series both having similar approaches and sharing the same team of people behind them (Retro were the Turok team) only difference is that Turok is more of a shooter. In the case Goldeneye and Perfect Dark that branch of FPS is done they raised the bar back then but the likes of Halo raised it to a new standard.

Retro could be working on something more western like but imo it doesn't have to be a FPS per say I'd say they need something more along the lines of what Naughty Dog puts out as tbh people wouldn't really go to Nintendo for a FPS but they'd likely go to them if they had their own western like titles similar to what companies like ND and Bioware put out.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Ariakon said:

I get where you're coming from and you may be right, but that core-centric userbase is why I think Switch owners will be much more receptive to Metroid than Wii owners were. 

It's still kinda the same userbase though, Metroid Prime on GameCube had a ton of hype and still only topped off at around 2 mill.

The truth is Metroid is just too slow/solitary of an IP to really have a huge mass audience. It's always been more "Alien" than "Star Wars".

Nintendo would be wise though I think to make a new FPS franchise that they own. Splatoon is a third person team based shooter and that's done great, but I think there's still a void that Nintendo could fill with a multiplayer FPS shooter, GoldenEye and Turok and Perfect Dark did so well for them back in the day, I think leaving the genre and/or thinking Metroid Prime was somehow going to fill that void was always a mistake. 

Pardon but NOTHING on the GameCube had a "ton" of hype.  Well, except Twilight Princess.  Mainly because the GameCube's marketing was so awful and just plain forgetable.  As in, I can literally remember not a single ad. 

And also worth noting that past sales are not necessarily indicative of future sales.  The Elder Scrolls is the ultimate example of this, going from being niche to selling almost 4 million to selling over 8 million to selling over 20 million.  You can't just say, "x series usually sells y, therefore x series will always sell y".  Far, far, far, FAR too many variables. 

In my honest opinion, Prime has never hit its sales potential.  Not once.  The marketing has been minimal to non-existent being the most obvious point.  The big difference now though is how the market has changed.  Exploration is a much more popular thing. SciFi is bigger now than it has ever been.  The Nintendo brand is looking far healthier than it did in the GameCube era.  Nintendo's marketing has been on point and they have put significant effort into promoting every single first party effort at retail.  I'm not saying Metroid Prime 4 will sell 10 million, that's just nonsense, but if all these things stay their course, it could be the best selling Metroid in my honest opinion.  Of course, a lot of this is dependent on what the game is like as well. 

But no Prime is not as big as Mario.  However it could move systems mainly because it will be different from prior launches, adding diversity to the lineup that will appeal to people who are on the fence.

Wyrdness said:

The Animal Crossing team are the same team who develop Splatoon so AC can't really be out next year if Splatoon 2 has only just come out, the closest on that list to be out is Pokemon otherwise it's Retro's project.

Really?  More reasons to not like the Splatoon series in addition to the lack of local split screen and its terribly annoying aesthetic.

Cubedramirez said:
Pokemon will sell so many consoles that they may be shortages all over again. I also believe that the multiplayer potential for Metroid Prime 4 and the to be announced features of their online service community could make Prime have a showing comparable to what Halo meant for the Xbox.

Nope keep multiplayer far away from metroid

To be honest Nintendo needs more multiplayer IP in general.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. have done so well, and this is not anything new, GoldenEye/Perfect Dark/Turok on the N64 ... Nintendo makes way too many single player centric franchises when their buyer base generally has a strong preference towards multiplayer fun.

They never should've stopped making FPS shooters even if Rare was sold. Something like Nintendo's take on Overwatch would've sold a lot more than ARMS I think.

Around the Network

I'd say the big hitters will likely be Animal Crossing and New Super Mario Bros 3. Animal Crossing is overdue for a new game, and 2D Mario in some form is still a heavy hitter. I'd say that a new Mario Maker would be more likely, except that doesn't work well for the Switch's strengths.

Love and tolerate.

mZuzek said:
Soundwave said:
To be honest Nintendo needs more multiplayer IP in general.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. have done so well, and this is not anything new, GoldenEye/Perfect Dark/Turok on the N64 ... Nintendo makes way too many single player centric franchises when their buyer base generally has a strong preference towards multiplayer fun.

They never should've stopped making FPS shooters even if Rare was sold. Something like Nintendo's take on Overwatch would've sold a lot more than ARMS I think.

...they do? I honestly can't even remember any Nintendo single-player focused game on the Wii U not named Zelda. I guess Xenoblade, but even that's not quite exactly first party. Meanwhile, in terms of multiplayer-focused games they had pretty much all of their biggest sellers, like Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, SM3DW, NSMBU, Nintendo Land and the likes. I think they're right to focus a little bit more on single player this time, because it's certainly a big reason a lot of people just thought Nintendo was for casuals - providing at least Mario with an expansive single player game helps change that, and Metroid does too. They still have more multiplayer centric games anyway.

That said, I don't want to see Metroid Prime diving into multiplayer. These games are meant to be single player experiences first and foremost, and if we get multiplayer on top of that it's most likely either going to be crap (like it was in Echoes), or detract from the potential of the campaign. Then again, having a crappy multiplayer mode no one cares about on a game that is otherwise amazing isn't going to bother anyone, but there's no point to it either. I think it would do Nintendo good to have a great couch multiplayer FPS, but Metroid Prime is not the right game for that.

Not touching on most of this but XENOBLADE. IS. FIRST. PARTY.  It's as first party as Mario.  Monolith was bought by Nintendo and began working on a new, Nintendo owned IP called Monado: the Beginning of the World.  The IP was then renamed to Xenoblade Chronicles.  It is a Nintendo first party IP.

But I will go ahead and agree that Nintendo already has a good number of multiplayer experiences.  A couple more would be fine, but singleplayer has immense market potential still. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo try their hand at a shooter or realistic racer.

Hyrule: Souls of Sages

Made by From Software.

It's a Souls game but rated T. It take splace in the great war mentioned in LTTP. You play a unamed Hyrule Soldier who must free the sages. They have been taken over by the corruption of evil. You must defeat and free each sage before the ultimate evil is reborn and takes over Hyrule.

did you all forget that Nintendo stated they were going to release an animal tossing game in 2018, I don't think there will be a Switch animal crossing that year. Hope it's Smash and luigis mansion or something

mii party + animal crossing
pokemon i think is 2019, metroid 2020.