By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

What do you think Nintendo's 2018 killer app will be?

Pokemon Switch 208 44.16%

Super Smash Bros Switch 68 14.44%

Animal Crossing 71 15.07%

Dragon Quest XI (Japan) 6 1.27%

Metroid Prime 4 88 18.68%

Yokai Watch (Japan) 2 0.42%

Monster Hunter World Ultimate 1 0.21%

New IP 27 5.73%

Total:471
curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

Except I would defend it from another company I defended The Order when that got trashed by people as well as others, you being on tilt because I have a differing view is not my problem.

OM has a camera that follows you through play that aren't many cases of limited visibility like you claimed that's a lie, if you read the post you'd see I highlighted the first person parts as an issue the fact that you're baning on about the same thing I flat out pointed out as a problem highlights an agenda on your part to just rant your point through. The pace killing isn't even as bad as you claimed, what's even more laughable here is this is between two Nintendo games one of which I have played down yet you still go off on the typical you're defending them tantrum, it's not me reaching here it's you, I gave an example of the type of wavelength you're sometimes on.

Point being OM is an ok game with some flaws a view that is not uncommon yet here you are on tilt over it.

Ad hominem attacks are the hallmark of a weak argument.

The camera does not adjust when backtracking. Video proof, from 3:42. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdy1VaD0gk

Which is why your post has them, you started it so don't be surprised when it is dished back another example I can bring up is your massive argument over MHXX with the forum and that one is more recent as well so, if you take it there don't complain when pendelum swings back the other way. People are too invested into hating some games that they refused to acknowledge anything but negativity from them, that's not an attack either as its true.

The link just just proved my point on the camera well down.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

Ad hominem attacks are the hallmark of a weak argument.

The camera does not adjust when backtracking. Video proof, from 3:42. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdy1VaD0gk

Which is why your post has them, you started it so don't be surprised when it is dished back another example I can bring up is your massive argument over MHXX with the forum and that one is more recent as well so, if you take it there don't complain when pendelum swings back the other way.

Sorry, but all the denial in the world won't change the content of that video. Everybody in this thread can now see that your claims are wrong.

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

Which is why your post has them, you started it so don't be surprised when it is dished back another example I can bring up is your massive argument over MHXX with the forum and that one is more recent as well so, if you take it there don't complain when pendelum swings back the other way.

Sorry, but all the denial in the world won't change the content of that video. Everybody in this thread can now see that your claims are wrong.

You mean the way everyone in the MHXX was meant to see your gifs like how you did? Okay mate whatever makes you sleep at night.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

You mean the way everyone in the MHXX was meant to see your gifs like how you did? Okay mate whatever makes you sleep at night.

There's not much more to say really, the video proof is there for any who want it.

But we've wandered waaay off topic. Honestly, besides the fact it's highly unlikely to be a 2018 title, I'd say there's no way Prime 4 should be listed alongside the likes of Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or Animal Crossing as a killer app in the first place. Those are the kind of titles that can spur massive and sustained hardware surges. Metroid has never been the kind of game to do that. It's a game for the core players, not the masses.

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

There's not much more to say really, the video proof is there for any who want it.

But we've wandered waaay off topic. Honestly, besides the fact it's highly unlikely to be a 2018 title, I'd say there's no way Prime 4 should be listed alongside the likes of Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or Animal Crossing as a killer app in the first place. Those are the kind of titles that can spur massive and sustained hardware surges. Metroid has never been the kind of game to do that. It's a game for the core players, not the masses.

You implied vision is heavily impaired which as shown it's not but whatever.

Metroid is not even a game for core players I've said this before and I'll say it again it's a niche franchise that has developed a limited dedicated following, the taste required to get into the series is so specific even many so called core players are put off. The Prime series can never match the performance of other FP heavy hitters as a result unless it has a radical overhaul while TP Metroid has the potential to retain its identity and grow but it still will never hit the performance status games like Zelda and Mario hold.

Around the Network

Guys, was any Metroid or Fire Emblem game ever been considered a killer app?...some people list them but I´m not sure that´s the case.I mean, isn´t Fire Emblem too niche to be a 'big game'?

Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime 4. Possibly a new Yokai Watch and a new Pokemon game.

JGarret said:

Guys, was any Metroid or Fire Emblem game ever been considered a killer app?...some people list them but I´m not sure that´s the case.I mean, isn´t Fire Emblem too niche to be a 'big game'?

To be fair Fire Emblem has seen growth beyond what it was achieving before as it went from 700k average to 2m under the new approach and even moved a good number of 3DS' especially in Japan so it has the promise of further growth with thenext installment. Metroid on the other hand has had no real growth sadly.

Anyone who thinks Metroid Prime 4 is coming out in 2018 needs to be drug out into the street and smacked with a manhole cover.  No way that is going to happen.  This is the same company that LIED numerous times about the release of Zelda: BOTW.  All major Nintendo IPs take many years for development.  Don't expect to see Metroid until 2019 atthe earliest.

Also, you cannot MAKE a killer-app.  It just sort of "happens."  Usually it is with an engaing pack-in launch title as was the case with Super Mario Bros. on the NES and Wii Sports with the Wii.  Sometimes it can be with game released later on such as Brain Age and Nintendogs for the DS.  Whoever said that Nintendo front-loaded the Switch with a lot of major IP to ensure sales is true.  It will be interesting to see what the Switch does when there aren't a boat-load of major IP games releasing within months of each other.  All console start off great.  Even the Wii U did.  The long-term is what matters.  12-18 months from now if the Switch is still selling as good as it has been, then Nintendo has a winner on it's hands.  Not before.

If Pokémon makes it out next year, obviously it will be the killer app.

If Metroid Prime 4 comes out next year, it stands to be an important game (need variety in the lineup), but I have my doubts that we'll suddenly see Metroid selling 10 million + software and hardware. Depends on how far they stray from previous prime games.

I do believe we'll see at least one of these next year, I think there are nice signs that Nintendo is serious about having a strong ongoing lineup...not a couple of games one month, then wait 6 months for more like we've seen before.