By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey plant visuals

irstupid said:
IkePoR said:
Well they've had two months to fix that, and have about one more before it probably goes gold. Can only hope they do I suppose.

Well luckily NIntendo is one of the few companies that the game looks better upon release than upon its reveal trailers.

It almost feels like they do game development backwards compared to others. It's like Nintendo works on a game with rough build of the game until the mechanics, gameplay, bugs, ect are all worked out. Then they spend teh rest of the time polishing the art style/graphics/lighting/ect. Thus they usually always end up with better looking games than reveal, cause the reveal was their rough build.

Meanwhile many other games start with their "polished graphics" and go "okay we want it to look like this. Make it happen. Then end up with not meeting that goal cause it was too lofty. So the final game doesn't look as good as the reveal. Not to mention lots of bugs tend to come at release.

Pictures also are strange when it comes ot Nintendo games. Whenever I see a Nintendo game pic, 99/100 times the picutre is not representative of the game really. It looks much better in motion. Meanwhile many other games, the pics make the game look almost life like, yet playing it, you woudl never confuse it for real life.

They don't start out with "polished graphics".  The reason why early game-play often looks different is that executives interupt developers while they're actually working on the game and say, "we need something for E3, can you make a guess about how the game is going to look and put together a trailer?"  No one who shows early game-play is immune to this effect and there is no publisher who doesn't show the best looking stuff on purpose at E3, even if it might not be representative of what you'll actually get.  Loading up sunrise moments and beautiful vistas, for example.  Let's not forget "tech demos" where reality never even comes close, either.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
StarDoor said:

Don't think there's any need to worry about that.

I always worry. As a matter of principle.

When was the last time a mario platformer had terrible gameplay? Even my least favorite series (New series) is still acceptable

SpokenTruth said:
Peh said:
I don't expect a vegetation like you'll get in Kingdom Come. No serioulsy....check the game out:

https://youtu.be/HxGt7U6xP84

That looks nice but it's way too static.  There seems to be zero interaction upon contact.  Nothing moves.

The closer to photorealism you get, the more realistic it must also move.

Afaik, the footage is from an early beta. The game will release next year on PC. I guess there is still time to add these features...

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

StarDoor said:
KLAMarine said:
And I'm over here just hoping the gameplay will be good.

I can think of one reason to worry.

This is a mario game with Tank Sections! The platforming's sure to be fine, but how many of these "alternate" gameplay sections are going to be in the game, and will they be any good, or will it be "Oh god, it's another vehicle section."

Not that this one problem would make the gameplay not "good", unless it took up a good chunk of time.

I guess I just don't notice these things. When I watch a trailer I look right past the textures and lighting effects and focus on the gameplay possibilities. Every time I think back fondly on a game, I think about pulling off an amazing stunt, or sneaking past an enemy garrison, or toppling an especially difficult boss. I never think about how many pixels a character model had or how flat a grass texture was.

I understand and agree that advanced technology creates new gameplay possibilities, but I just can't understand the fixation on all this window dressing.

Around the Network

Yeah, it looks fine to me. I don't get it...

monocle_layton said:
KLAMarine said:

I always worry. As a matter of principle.

When was the last time a mario platformer had terrible gameplay? Even my least favorite series (New series) is still acceptable

True...

Barkley said:
StarDoor said:

I can think of one reason to worry.

This is a mario game with Tank Sections! The platforming's sure to be fine, but how many of these "alternate" gameplay sections are going to be in the game, and will they be any good, or will it be "Oh god, it's another vehicle section."

Not that this one problem would make the gameplay not "good", unless it took up a good chunk of time.

I'm actually a big fan of varied gameplay so this looks neat.

My favorite graphics in the game are the rain particles. They look so beautiful.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I guess I just don't notice these things. When I watch a trailer I look right past the textures and lighting effects and focus on the gameplay possibilities. Every time I think back fondly on a game, I think about pulling off an amazing stunt, or sneaking past an enemy garrison, or toppling an especially difficult boss. I never think about how many pixels a character model had or how flat a grass texture was.

I understand and agree that advanced technology creates new gameplay possibilities, but I just can't understand the fixation on all this window dressing.

Yeah, I'm about the same way. The gameplay is what I'm looking for when it comes to video games and their trailers. I like seeing all the possible things you can do in a game. The visuals I don't really pay much attention (unless the overall presentation is bad), so that part of a game isn't as important for me.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Let's judge it on release day and not before