By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dragon Ball Super is THE worst anime I've ever watched

Rate Dragon Ball Super

0/10 15 5.86%

9/10 50 19.53%

8/10 50 19.53%

7/10 59 23.05%

6/10 21 8.20%

5/10 26 10.16%

4/10 9 3.52%

3/10 4 1.56%

2/10 10 3.91%

1/18 12 4.69%

Total:256

eh nowadays I'm only watching ecchi stuff, which most of the time isn't that good but still enjoyable enough.

Around the Network
manuel said:
I've heard of "Filthy Frank" before (mostly on 9gag), but never bothered to look him up.
First time I've really seen anything from the guy.

https://youtu.be/JcmylxQ0ma4

I've only seen like 3 vids from him(including the one you linked). the one i linked is just so ... sooo fucking true.

monocle_layton said:

One Punch man is a hit or miss. Personally, I believed it was very good. it showed more to Saitama than the fact that he can become stronger or do these super ultra moves 5000. When he took the blame for all heroes and said he just stole credit to his final fight in the anime, I felt this show was a very solid way to add memorable moments into satirical shows. It's not the greatest of all time, but I think its unique nature and the (so far) pleasant first season has me waiting for the second season. With enjoyable animation, a solid sountrack, and the satisfying ending, I thought a high review fit it.

Is 9.3 too much? Maybe. I was just throwing review scores around. If I were to be more specific, I'd say OPM is a 9.1 perhaps and Mob Psycho is a 9.

It's fine if you think it's that great I just think it's sooo far removed from the acclaim it gets. There's like 4 memorable moments and it really drags. The opening and to a lesser extent ending are really  really great though. I kind of wrote the comment to express a different view point, but mostly I wrote it because I think it's weird how inconsistent the mangaka is. most people think he's the new god of Shounen for spawning two popular anime series in a short time frame.

Are the anime you've ranked here the only ones you've seen btw? I haven't seen Dragon Ball tbh

I only watched half of the first episode and I was done with the anime. Their god awful voices drove me away.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I've only seen like 3 vids from him(including the one you linked). the one i linked is just so ... sooo fucking true.

Dammit, I have to work! Oh god, but I sure can use the laughs.

Thanks!

And to stay on topic: Dragon Ball Super (never watched it) does sound kinda bad.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

I'm writing this on mobile so there might be some errors.
1.Tien, Yamcha, and Piccolo aren't as strong as Goku or Vegeta so there wasn't much that could have been done with them. Its good to see that Time and Piccolo are in the universe team so at least they are getting somewhere. Gohan really came through though. He started training again. And is a lot stronger. I expect by the end of the universe tournament he will surpass his peak in DBZ.
2. Vegeta and Goku are very similar to their DBZ versions. But they should try to make Vegeta a bit tougher. Goku is the same as always he hasn't been that bright unless it comes to martial arts and fighting. He's a martial art and fighting genius but besides that he has never been that bright.
3. DBS pacing is way better than DBZ. The only issue I had with the pacing was how long it took to defeat Black and the amount of episodes it took to assemble the team for the universe tournament buy besides that the pacing overall is good. Also shocked you gave shippuden a good score and is complaining about pacing. Almost half of shippudens episodes are filler.
4. I can agree with this. There really isn't many groups or organization that affect a large portion of the story. Zamatsu sort of did that and Beerus to a certain extent.
5. The music is decent. Nothing terrible but nothing special. The animation though is top notch. There are moments when its bad but in fights the animation at times look like its from an anime movie.
IMO I would give super a 7-8/10
Also 12 anime's seems like a small amount. I've probably watched maybes 70 anime's not including anime movies.

Around the Network
manuel said:
I've heard of "Filthy Frank" before (mostly on 9gag), but never bothered to look him up.
First time I've really seen anything from the guy.

monocle_layton said:

One Punch man is a hit or miss. Personally, I believed it was very good. it showed more to Saitama than the fact that he can become stronger or do these super ultra moves 5000. When he took the blame for all heroes and said he just stole credit to his final fight in the anime, I felt this show was a very solid way to add memorable moments into satirical shows. It's not the greatest of all time, but I think its unique nature and the (so far) pleasant first season has me waiting for the second season. With enjoyable animation, a solid sountrack, and the satisfying ending, I thought a high review fit it.

Is 9.3 too much? Maybe. I was just throwing review scores around. If I were to be more specific, I'd say OPM is a 9.1 perhaps and Mob Psycho is a 9.

It's fine if you think it's that great I just think it's sooo far removed from the acclaim it gets. There's like 4 memorable moments and it really drags. The opening and to a lesser extent ending are really  really great though. I kind of wrote the comment to express a different view point, but mostly I wrote it because I think it's weird how inconsistent the mangaka is. most people think he's the new god of Shounen for spawning two popular anime series in a short time frame.

Are the anime you've ranked here the only ones you've seen btw? I haven't seen Dragon Ball tbh

I actually think One Punch man will remain as a outlier. My Hero Academia will (hopefully) represent the future of Shounen. Doesn't need 500 episodes, not all characters have super sad stories, the main character is different than a lot of shounen main characters, pacing is good, female characters actually have use, etc. i'll happily wait a year for a season if it means we get quality series like MHA.

As for DBS, watch it if you want. Even though we disagree on OPM, we both agree it still has great parts to it that can easily improve it dramatically in the second season. DBS on the other hand literally has zero redeeming features.

For my anime list, yes, those are the only ones I've seen. I'm not an anime fanatic or anything. I just watch show either recommended or something I find worthy to be watched. I think my pick for strangest good show is Assassination Classroom. I thought it was just a parody anime like OPM, but the character development is pretty damn good. I somehow found myself actually being into the show when we learned a bit more about the octopus dude.

Aeolus451 said:
I only watched half of the first episode and I was done with the anime. Their god awful voices drove me away.

I don't know what happened to the voices. I don't know what's happening with this franchise. Dear god, at least Boruto is tolerable. Super makes me want to die.

I kinda agree.... everything after DBZ is crap.

I read the manga during the 90s. And DBS is giving me a nice trek through nostalgia lane. It doesn't take itself seriously, which is something I always liked about the manga. So far, I'm enjoying it greatly and the pacing is great.

When it comes to Gohan... When he was 5, he was saying he wanted to become a scientist. So him being a professor now is really not surprising. Try to keep up. ¬_¬

monocle_layton said:

I actually think One Punch man will remain as a outlier. My Hero Academia will (hopefully) represent the future of Shounen. Doesn't need 500 episodes, not all characters have super sad stories, the main character is different than a lot of shounen main characters, pacing is good, female characters actually have use, etc. i'll happily wait a year for a season if it means we get quality series like MHA.

As for DBS, watch it if you want. Even though we disagree on OPM, we both agree it still has great parts to it that can easily improve it dramatically in the second season. DBS on the other hand literally has zero redeeming features.

For my anime list, yes, those are the only ones I've seen. I'm not an anime fanatic or anything. I just watch show either recommended or something I find worthy to be watched. I think my pick for strangest good show is Assassination Classroom. I thought it was just a parody anime like OPM, but the character development is pretty damn good. I somehow found myself actually being into the show when we learned a bit more about the octopus dude.

If by outlier you mean it will remain with it's own unique legacy I agree. It's not going to just get trumped by other anime. It's too popular for that.

Yeah well i definitely need to get to DB/DBZ anyways. 

I know that people ALWAYS recommend anime so it might get annoying, but just to give you some recommendations : D I think you're on the right track with Jojo, I only watched the first season but it was one of my favorite shows just based on those two arcs. 

If you want a great shounen with one of the best cast of characters ever and really well developed ideas, watch Fullmetal Alchemist. It doesn't have your typical anime stuff, like fan service or big fights(for the most part) so you might no get the same level of escapism you'd get from watching an average shounen. But it's really really great. Watch Brotherhood, but if you're willing to - I personally think the original anime, though a bit controversial, gets you much more attached to the characters. The perfect way to watch is 03, and then Brotherhood, which are very different from the middle to end of the shows. But if you only have time for one watch Brotherhood. 

For a great show that is similar to Shounen, try Gurren Laggan. It's technically not a shounen but it's amazing. It's an action based show with giant robots. It is one of those interesting shows where it's very nuanced in that it's themes are both in your face and yet underplayed. A  lot of people don't seem to get that it actually devalues the shounen fantasy in a lot of ways, while still being fun and adventorous. It's definitely not a deconstruction but it doesn't need to be. It's nuanced yet over the top.

For weird watch Neon Genesis and Welcome to the NHK. Neon Genesis is percieved in two ways generally : as pretentious edgy garbage, or as an amazing philisophical character study. I personally love it. Welcome to the NHK is a lot less controversial and it's very funny. It's about a hermit in an apartment that has to get used to the real world. 

For the best short normal show though, I'd say Kino's Journey. It's like a collection of mini-adventures revolving around a young boy who has a talking motorcyle(well....maybe). It's pretty much like opening a diary of personal poems, each detailing a rich adventure with amazing themes. 

Anyways, that's enough. Sorry if you didn't want recommendations, lol.

Hynad said:

I read the mange during the 90s. And DBS is giving me a nice trek through nostalgia lane. It doesn't take itself seriously, which is something I always liked about the manga. So far, I'm enjoying it greatly and the pacing is great.

When it comes to Gohan... When he was 5, he was saying he wanted to become a scientist. So him being a professor now is really not surprising. Try to keep up. ¬_¬

I get he wanted to be a scientist, but turning into a professor and suddenly forgetting all of the buildup he had to turn into a bold leader makes no sense

monocle_layton said:

If by outlier you mean it will remain with it's own unique legacy I agree. It's not going to just get trumped by other anime. It's too popular for that.

Yeah well i definitely need to get to DB/DBZ anyways. 

I know that people ALWAYS recommend anime so it might get annoying, but just to give you some recommendations : D I think you're on the right track with Jojo, I only watched the first season but it was one of my favorite shows just based on those two arcs. 

If you want a great shounen with one of the best cast of characters ever and really well developed ideas, watch Fullmetal Alchemist. It doesn't have your typical anime stuff, like fan service or big fights(for the most part) so you might no get the same level of escapism you'd get from watching an average shounen. But it's really really great. Watch Brotherhood, but if you're willing to - I personally think the original anime, though a bit controversial, gets you much more attached to the characters. The perfect way to watch is 03, and then Brotherhood, which are very different from the middle to end of the shows. But if you only have time for one watch Brotherhood. 

For a great show that is similar to Shounen, try Gurren Laggan. It's technically not a shounen but it's amazing. It's an action based show with giant robots. It is one of those interesting shows where it's very nuanced in that it's themes are both in your face and yet underplayed. A  lot of people don't seem to get that it actually devalues the shounen fantasy in a lot of ways, while still being fun and adventorous. It's definitely not a deconstruction but it doesn't need to be. It's nuanced yet over the top.

For weird watch Neon Genesis and Welcome to the NHK. Neon Genesis is percieved in two ways generally : as pretentious edgy garbage, or as an amazing philisophical character study. I personally love it. Welcome to the NHK is a lot less controversial and it's very funny. It's about a hermit in an apartment that has to get used to the real world. 

For the best short normal show though, I'd say Kino's Journey. It's like a collection of mini-adventures revolving around a young boy who has a talking motorcyle(well....maybe). It's pretty much like opening a diary of personal poems, each detailing a rich adventure with amazing themes. 

Anyways, that's enough. Sorry if you didn't want recommendations, lol.

I hear Full Metal Brotherhood is better because the ending is considered more complete. I'll probably watch both.

As of now, I'm not really sure what I'll watch. I may watch Castlevania soon. 

I appreciate the recommendations though. By the end of this year I think my list will add Castlevania only, but I don't think that's an anime. Once I get the chance I'll get into FMA