By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dragon Ball Super is THE worst anime I've ever watched

Rate Dragon Ball Super

0/10 15 5.86%

9/10 50 19.53%

8/10 50 19.53%

7/10 59 23.05%

6/10 21 8.20%

5/10 26 10.16%

4/10 9 3.52%

3/10 4 1.56%

2/10 10 3.91%

1/18 12 4.69%

Total:256
Nuvendil said:
monocle_layton said:

At the end of the day, I watch anime for fun. I don't break down everything and try to find a moral behind every piece of dialogue. Even a flawed show like Shippuden is still fine by me if it's enjoyable overall.

Super is the opposite of enjoyable. It's easily on my list of worst things ever watched. Just wish the franchise died. It never needed to go past Majin buu, and even then some people questioned the final arc

Well if you just want to have fun, might I suggest G Gundam, if you don't mind dated animation.  Unlike other Gundams which are about non-too-subtle messages about the horrors of war with political intrigue mixed in with the giant mech battles, G Gundam is about a tournament where fighters from space colonies battle in giant slightly racist super powered meches in a torunament to see what nation will rull the world.  It gets more elaborate with a bigger plot, but that's the foundation.  And it's outrageous.  And cheesy.  And ridiculous.  And a great time, imo.   It lives by two tropes: refuge in audacity and the rule of cool.  It honestly feels like the main goal was for the creators to have fun with the show.

Hmm...

I'll watch a few episodes soon to see how it is. All I remember is watching it when I was 3 years old. Forget it all since then.

Is there more than one version? If so, which one should I watch?

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Nuvendil said:

Well if you just want to have fun, might I suggest G Gundam, if you don't mind dated animation.  Unlike other Gundams which are about non-too-subtle messages about the horrors of war with political intrigue mixed in with the giant mech battles, G Gundam is about a tournament where fighters from space colonies battle in giant slightly racist super powered meches in a torunament to see what nation will rull the world.  It gets more elaborate with a bigger plot, but that's the foundation.  And it's outrageous.  And cheesy.  And ridiculous.  And a great time, imo.   It lives by two tropes: refuge in audacity and the rule of cool.  It honestly feels like the main goal was for the creators to have fun with the show.

Hmm...

I'll watch a few episodes soon to see how it is. All I remember is watching it when I was 3 years old. Forget it all since then.

Is there more than one version? If so, which one should I watch?

I haven't watched it in quite a while, and wouldn't know of multiple versions.  The english dub is pretty cheesy, I'll say that but it honestly kinda fits given this is a universe where allegedly normal human beings destroy giant robots with scarfs and punt entire ruined buildings and greet each  other with flurries of punches and where the Neo Mexico spacd colony is a giant Sombrero :P

I believe there is only the one dub though.  If the voices are not to your liking, I'm sure there's a good sub to be found.  

I'm a pretty casual watcher of anime really, just dabbled in this and that, so pardon my lack of knowledge.

My favorite Anime are One Piece, Naruto, DragonBall Z, Death Note !! , Cowboy Bebop, X the serie, Hellsing and Wolfs Rain : )

DBZ (10/10 points)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragon Ball (7.5/10)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DB Super (6.8/10)

Honestly, I'm liking it so far. With the exception of the first arc and the golden frieza Arc, Super has been on par with Z lately in my opinion.

The series as a whole is pretty much a mediocre to sorta good animated franchise with some excellent scenes throw in now and again that makes you go "fuc@ yeah!" anyway. 🤔 Z was exactly like that back in the day.

monocle_layton said:

Aeolus451 said:
I only watched half of the first episode and I was done with the anime. Their god awful voices drove me away.

I don't know what happened to the voices. I don't know what's happening with this franchise. Dear god, at least Boruto is tolerable. Super makes me want to die.

The characters sound like they took some hits to the balls or something. I just can't stand their voices. It's extremely irritating. I was gonna give it a shot but those voices....

Anyway, Boruto is alright. It will probably get better as the character and the new series gets a little more serious. I didn't really like naruto til he started to mature some. I actually like shippuden more than I did the earlier naruto. 

I really like My Hero Academia though. I hope it keeps going for awhile.

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:

My favorite Anime are One Piece, Naruto, DragonBall Z, Death Note !! , Cowboy Bebop, X the serie, Hellsing and Wolfs Rain : )

DBZ (10/10 points)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragon Ball (7.5/10)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DB Super (6.8/10)

Your points doesn't really reflects all those arrows.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

I'm a huge DragonBall fan but Super just doesn't interest me after the huge dissapointment that was Battle of Gods i can only expect worse from this series but yea, DBZ fans seem to like it a lot.

I used to watch a lot of anime back around the turn of the century when it was really popular here in the U.S. I greatly enjoyed the likes of Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, Cardcaptors (a.k.a. Cardcaptor Sakura), Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell (the first two movies and series), Inu Yasha, Astro Boy, Magic Knight Rayearth, The Big O, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Naruto, and these days I enjoy Attack on Titan. Most of all though, I enjoyed a number of anime movies, from Akira to Grave of the Fireflies, and of course Studio Ghibli masterpieces like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and my favorite anime movie of all time, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

Overall though, the truth is that the general quality of anime has taken a nosedive over the course of the current century. Aside from Attack on Titan, none of the new material I've seen on Toonami in recent years has appealed to me, including Dragon Ball Super (which I have yet to enjoy a single moment of). Anime today seems overwhelmingly dependent on rigid formulas and pathetically cheesy humor to a degree that it was not in the past.

I've really enjoyed Super so far. 

The music is the better than the previous Anime, Golden Frieza Theme, Beerus Theme, SSB Theme, SSR Theme and even some of the general use ones.

I like how the power gap between Goku and Vegeta has been lowered a lot, Goku is still stronger especially after he now can fuse his kaioken with his SSB form.

The current arc especially the buildup has made the secondary characters like Roshi, Piccolo and Tien seem more useful, and the power buff that No.17 has gotten is great and makes sense given how long he's been training. 

And we already know Goku is the strongest in the Universe (other than Beerus and Whis) in order for there to be other foes other universes had to be written in, there's only so many times we can forget who was 'the strongest in the universe'. Frieza is the 'strongest in the universe' well actually no it's really majin buu. Well actually no It's the God of Destruction. 

The 6 vs 7 arc and super dragonballs was a great way to introduce new future plot points and let us know there are other crazy powerful guys out there like Hit, Toppo and Jiren.

I don't really know what you mean by the arcs not needing to exist. Without Beerus' arc SS God would never have happened. Without Frieza Arc Gohan would've never decided that he needed to start training again, and Golden Frieza wouldn't have been an option for the tournament of power. Black Goku arc was really fun and got us back in touch with future trunks, it also let us know a lot more about how time works with the time rings which could lead to future arcs. Plus we got Zeno 2. 

And without 6 vs 7 we wouldn't have our current arc so I'm not sure you thought that through very well.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

That's...a low score. *whistles*

I watched the original series (and GT I guess), and while I enjoyed them as a kid, I doubt I'd be nearly as forgiving now. Never had much of an interest in Super for that reason.

I'm glad to see you rate MHA so highly. I follow both the manga and anime, and both are fantastic. Like you said, I like that the MC is your average Joe, and doesn't have some tragic backstory shoehorned in.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334