By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2017: Philadelphia Eagles Win Super Bowl LII

Who will win Super Bowl LII?

New England Patriots 7 31.82%

Pittsburgh Steelers 1 4.55%

Jacksonville Jaguars 3 13.64%

Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%

Philadelphia Eagles 5 22.73%

Minnesota Vikings 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 0 0%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other 1 4.55%

Scoreboard 2 9.09%

Total:22

IND-BAL 2 MIN-GB 1 DEN-WAS 2 LAR-TEN 1
LAC-NYJ 1 ATL-NO 1 BUF-NE 2 MIA-KC 2
DET-CIN 1 CLE-CHI 2 TB-CAR 2 JAX-SF 1
NYG-ARI 2 SEA-DAL 2 PIT-HOU 1 OAK-PHI 1 by 7

Around the Network

Fantasy Hoopla: Once More Unto the Breach

A weekend dominated by point spread favorites in the NFL (14-0) was also dominated by projection favorites in the fantasy league, with teams expected to win going 4-0, although that probably has a lot to do with Mike starting a QB and two RBs who were injured and didn't even play. So more like 3-0. Despite a number of really close games, there haven't been many (or, more realistically, any) upsets in either the championship or consolation brackets, which appears to be at least in part due to people putting in the minimum effort required to field an active team (or sometimes not even that). With that in mind...would anyone be against eliminating the consolation bracket for next year? It doesn't seem like enough people care about it, and quite honestly I can't blame them, given that managing a fantasy team is a bit more work than simply making picks on here, may seem like too much effort just for the right to play for 7th place.

Anyway, onto the games that took place this week.

Consolation Bracket

Lousy Pack 61.98, Alpha Males 22.40

Setting aside the whole starting a QB and two RBs who were ruled out before the game even started, this was just a sad week for Mike all around. His highest scoring player (his kicker) had 12 points, and no one else got above 4. Four active players had 2.8 points or less. Rol had a better weekend despite failing to account for Chris Hogan being out with an injury (although admittedly that decision was made pretty close to game time, so that's more understandable), but continues to be afflicted with injuries (Davante Adams knocked out of the game and likely next week after scoring 12 points). Minnesota's defense (17 points) continues to play well, though, so there's that.

The Longest Foot 81.52, The Loins 70.08

You can make the argument that Cleveland's baffling decision making may have cost Blowover King a win; after a 59 yard run at the start of the 2nd quarter, he was only given two touches the rest of the way. A TD + another 60 or so yards over nearly 3 quarters isn't unreasonable, and probably highlights just how little clue anyone on the Browns' staff knows what they're doing. Anyway, Matthew Stafford (17 points), Latavius Murray (16), and Evan Engram (10) all scored in double digits for The Loins, while Tom Brady (16), Alvin Kamara (15), Michael Crabtree (16), Greg Zuerlein (10) fit into that category for Seth, along with JuJu Smith-Schuster (11), who almost single handily ruined my Sunday as well.

Championship Bracket

Nohrian Scum 129.68, NobleTeam360 121.18

Also known as the "Todd Gurley saves my ass because Russell Wilson felt like taking the day off" event, there were of high scorers, as well as a few disappointments. Each team had three scorers with 17 or more points, and two with 22 or more. Simultaneously, both had two players who couldn't get past the 5 point mark, which for me is partially a result of me being an idiot and thinking that Chris Ivory was a safer option than Brandin Cooks with Leonard Fournette and the Jags' top three receivers injured. Instead Blake Bortles goes for 326 yards and 3 TDs, because of course. Noble could have capitalized and changed the outcome of the game if he had started Mike Evans (14 points) instead of Keenan Allen (5), but it's difficult to blame him considering Allen's lack of production beforehand. In regards to players that actually started, Noble got fantastic performances from Cam Newton (31), Melvin Gordon (22), and Kenyan Drake (17.3). On the flip side, Todd Gurley scored 42 points and Le'Veon Bell scored 23, and that combined with strong efforts from the Rams' defense (17) and Tyreek Hill (15), were enough to secure a championship rematch with...

Arch 119.80, ItErtzWhenEifert 105.24

The rubber match between Hoshido division teams was highlighted by Aaron Rodgers return to playing, who replaced Marcus Mariota as Angelus' starting QB. Just in time, too, because Arch lost Antonio Brown for this game after he only scoring 2.4 points this week. Despite three INTs, Rodgers still scored 22 points, while LeSean McCoy (22), Mark Ingram (27), and the Baltimore defense (20) aided the cause. For Ludicrous, Kareem Hunt (33) finally returned to Week 1 form, scoring a rushing and receiving TD for the second time this season. Unfortunately for Ertz, nobody else had a particularly standout game. Dion Lewis played about as well as can be expected of a Patriots RB with 14 points, but Ben Roethlisberger kept himself from surpassing the 20 point mark with a late INT, and no one else on scored in double digits. Angelus advances to the championship round, while Ludicrous will play Noble in the third place game.

So with one last week in the season, every team will play. Remember that, with college football's regular season done, Saturday games have become a thing now along with the usual Thursday game. Make sure that you check when your players are playing, and don't forget to substitute early if you need.

Playing fantasy football with everyone here has been a blast. Here's the last set of previews!

ARCH (12-2) vs. NOHRIAN SCUM (12-3)

Previous Meeting: Arch won 92.78-76.02 in Week 1

A rematch of the very first week in the season between teams with very different approaches to the season. While the stars on my roster have remained fairly consistent, the headliners on Angelus' roster (LeSean McCoy, Mark Ingram, AJ Green) are almost entirely new acquisitions. With Aaron Rodgers back on IR, Angelus is starting his third QB in the last three games: Nick Foles. Barring another 40 point performance from Todd Gurley, this could come down to the quarterbacks; Russell Wilson had been in the MVP conversation until last week, while Nick Foles had a very impressive initial performance against the Giants. With strong running games on both sides; McCoy and Ingram for Arch and Gurley and Bell for myself, the matchup could very well be decided on whose QB gives their RBs enough support (and doesn't that sound weird in today's pass-happy NFL). Beyond that, both teams feature some very inconsistent receivers: AJ Green and Doug Baldwin for Angelus, and Tyreek Hill and Brandin Cooks for myself, all of which have the ability to go off, but whether they'll turn in a star performance or put up 5 points is anyone's guess.

NOBLETEAM360 (9-5) vs. ITERTZWHENEIFERT (9-6)

Previous Meeting: Noble won 105.76-69.08 in Week 8

Deck the halls and declare the praises of the 1990s Cowboys from the top of Jerryworld: Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is finally over. Zeke's decision to fight the suspension may have cost Ludicrous a realistic shot at the championship; one week earlier and the game against Angelus could have been a lot closer. Elliott provides a much needed replacement for Alfred Morris, who has only exceeded 9 points once this season, and if Kareem Hunt's last two games (as opposed to the five before it) are indicative of how he'll play this week, Ludicrous could realistically be back to having the best team in the league. Meanwhile, Noble replaced Keenan Allen with Mike Evans; an interesting choice comparing their stats beyond this past week. An important part of the puzzle for Noble could be Marvin Jones, who after putting up 12 points or more in five of six games, has failed to do so in his last three.

DONGO's GRIDIRON GAMERS (7-7) vs. ARMINILLO (7-7)

Previous Meetings: Arminillo won 105.10-79.08 in Week 3 and 119.78-93.64 in Week 12

Don't let the previous blowouts fool you; this one should be closer than the last two matchups (at least if Dongo's players can finally be bothered to not all have terrible games against Arminillo for once). Marqise Lee, who has an undisclosed ankle injury will need to be replaced for Dongo, but the ever unreliable fantasy projector expects this to be close even without him. Despite being one of the most highly rated QBs before the start of the season, the emergence of the Saints' running game has made Drew Brees a somewhat disappointing fantasy option, with only one 20+ point game since Week 3. Arminillo has some issues with the passing game as well; Kirk Cousins has been mediocre-awful over the past four weeks, and with the exception of one absurd 39 point performance in week 12, Julio Jones hasn't scored in double digits in his past six games.

THE LONGEST FOOT (8-6) vs. LOUSY PACK (7-8)

Previous Meeting: The Longest Foot won 111.44-63.14 in Week 10

The injury train rides on for Rol, who be without Davante Adams and likely Chris Hogan. Seth can commiserate at least partially, as he'll be missing OJ Howard. Martavis Bryant may be a suitable replacement for Adams, considering his bump up to presumably the #2 Steelers receiver with Antonio Brown out. And speaking of Pittsburgh WRs, Seth will be starting JuJu Smith-Schuster, who will likely be taking over the #1 receiver and will almost assuredly see an uptick in targets. For Seth, victory is likely all but guaranteed if Tom Brady can snap out of his fantasy funk; he's failed to put up 16 or more points for three straight weeks now and may have cost Seth a playoff spot in Week 13. Rol will likely need Phillip Rivers to not have a repeat of last week, plus his replacement WRs to play well, to have a realistic shot.

THE LOINS (6-9) vs. ALPHA MALES (5-9)

Previous Meeting: The Loins won 97.28-87.78 in Week 6

Could be an interesting matchup if Mike gets around to starting a QB who's actually playing this week. Tevin Coleman and Joe Mixon are expected to be back this week after missing time with injuries, so Mike will have most of his starting unit back. Mike's starting TE, Hunter Henry, was placed on IR today, however, so that's a spot that will need replacing. For BlowoverKing, solid performances from his starters should be enough to win if Mike doesn't replace his injured positions. If he does, however, (and I cannot believe I am saying this), but King may want to consider Blake Bortles at QB. Bortles has outperformed current starter Matthew Stafford for four consecutive weeks now, and with numerous injuries at WR.

HANGINWITHHERNANDEZ (3-11) vs. SCAB (2-12)

Honestly fuck this game.

MTZehvor said: 

ARCH (12-2) vs. NOHRIAN SCUM (12-3)

Previous Meeting: Arch won 92.78-76.02 in Week 1

A rematch of the very first week in the season between teams with very different approaches to the season. While the stars on my roster have remained fairly consistent, the headliners on Angelus' roster (LeSean McCoy, Mark Ingram, AJ Green) are almost entirely new acquisitions. With Aaron Rodgers back on IR, Angelus is starting his third QB in the last three games: Nick Foles. Barring another 40 point performance from Todd Gurley, this could come down to the quarterbacks; Russell Wilson had been in the MVP conversation until last week, while Nick Foles had a very impressive initial performance against the Giants. With strong running games on both sides; McCoy and Ingram for Arch and Gurley and Bell for myself, the matchup could very well be decided on whose QB gives their RBs enough support (and doesn't that sound weird in today's pass-happy NFL). Beyond that, both teams feature some very inconsistent receivers: AJ Green and Doug Baldwin for Angelus, and Tyreek Hill and Brandin Cooks for myself, all of which have the ability to go off, but whether they'll turn in a star performance or put up 5 points is anyone's guess.

Against that sad excuse for a Titans team, I suppose we can't rule that out. Gotta say I'm pretty bummed about not having Antonio against that lousy Texans secondary....c'est la vie right? Anyway, it's been a fun fantasy season. Shame there were so many high profile injuries all around, but what can you do. We've been fortunate enough so far to have some really great playoff matchups, so hopefully that can continue for the championship week.

Also wanted to say I appreciate the extra effort you put in writing up a summary, and preview every week. I enjoyed reading them, despite your constant errors, and underappreciation of Super Kamario. Cheers

PS: Is it bad form for me to wish that the injury gods finally pull up on your front door this week after you escaped them all year?

Damn I just recently picked up OJ Howard and now realizing he just got injured. Oh well I'll have to figure something out but my TE position has been fickle the entire season. I probably shouldn't have given up on Graham so quickly but he for sure didn't do shit last game considering Seahawks got their asses kicked. In hindsight I should have just benched him because he finally started doing good mid season.

IND-BAL 2
MIN-GB  1 DEN-WAS  2 LAR-TEN 1
LAC-NYJ  2 ATL-NO  2 BUF-NE  2 MIA-KC  2
DET-CIN  1 CLE-CHI  2 TB-CAR  2 JAX-SF  1
NYG-ARI  2 SEA-DAL  2 PIT-HOU  1 OAK-PHI PHI by 6
Last edited by Level1Death - on 21 December 2017

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
IND-BAL 2
MIN-GB 1 DEN-WAS 1 LAR-TEN 1
LAC-NYJ 1 ATL-NO 2 BUF-NE 2 MIA-KC 2
NYG-ARI 2 SEA-DAL 2 PIT-HOU 1 OAK-PHI PHI by 6

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

NYG-ARI 2 SEA-DAL 2 PIT-HOU 1 OAK-PHI 2 by 10

SUPERCHUNK said!!!
NYG-ARI 2 SEA-DAL 2 PIT-HOU 1 OAK-PHI 2 by 14

NYG-ARI 2 SEA-DAL 2 PIT-HOU 1 OAK-PHI 2 by 10

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Ravens and Vikings for the two early games, incase I forget to pick before then.