By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I upgrade to the Pro?

Buy a Pro?

Yes 110 52.13%

No 73 34.60%

Results 28 13.27%

Total:211

If you have the money and actually need another PS4, it makes sense to get the pro. I'm planning to do the same when I move out sometime next year

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I had a ps4 pro when it launched. Eventually sold it and got a slim bundle that had a really good discount instead. The difference from a regular ps4 to the pro was pretty meh to me since there isn't much standardization as to what you will get and it is heavily left to the devs as far as effort goes. Most, at least from what I can tell, just do the basics and call it a day. So your milage will vary.

You sold it before the boost mode was accounced 

Boost mode isn't that good either and makes some games unstable... It bearly makes a difference for a lot of games anyway 

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

You sold it before the boost mode was accounced 

Boost mode isn't that good either and makes games unstable... It bearly makes a difference for a lot of games anyway 

Sounds like they need to control their boosting more.

sethnintendo said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Boost mode isn't that good either and makes games unstable... It bearly makes a difference for a lot of games anyway 

Sounds like they need to control their boosting more.

Loll. It's like you look at something like bloodborne which is a game that really needs great fps, the boost mode does virtually nothing for it.

Before Boost Mode: 30fps with framepacing problems
After Boost Mode: 30fps with slightly less framepacing problems

Now there are plenty of games where boost mode does help like AC:Unity where it gets the game to 30fps instead of like 20fps but there are also plenty of games where it does basically nothing which is what my problem is with the ps4 pro. It is such a "milage may vary" console.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Has youre tv hdr if yes buy it

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network

Sure, why not. I like mine even though I wasn't originally planning on buying one.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

If the price difference is not significant for you, then of course get the pro. But, if that extra money is going to hurt, I don't think it's worth it. I have a pro, and I'm happy with it. But, I can barely tell the difference between the pro and the regular PS4.

Radek said:
It's mostly a 1440p console or 1800p checkerboard (mostly first party titles)

Uncharted Lost Legacy is 1440p and it will look better on 4K TV than 1080p but it's still far away from native 4K.

Crash N.Sane Trilogy is 1440p as well.

It's definetly not mostly a 1440p console. Here's a quick rundown of some of the Pro compatible games.

Native 4K:

Pyre
The Last of Us: Remastered
The Witness
Fifa17
NBA 2K17
Shadow of Mordor
Nioh

There are more, these are just the ones I can pull off the top of my head.

Checkboard 4K:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Battleborn
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

1800p (*native):

Final Fantasy XV
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Mass Effect Andromeda
Watchdogs 2
No Mans Sky*
Ratchet and Clank
Mafia 3*

There are certainly 1440p games (Fallout, Titanfall, Dishonoured) but a good bulk of Pro compatible games are higher resolution.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

The answer is the same as do you own a 4k tv and do you care about more graphical fidelity. So in your case yes.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Normchacho said:
Radek said:
It's mostly a 1440p console or 1800p checkerboard (mostly first party titles)

Uncharted Lost Legacy is 1440p and it will look better on 4K TV than 1080p but it's still far away from native 4K.

Crash N.Sane Trilogy is 1440p as well.

It's definetly not mostly a 1440p console. Here's a quick rundown of some of the Pro compatible games.

Native 4K:

Pyre
The Last of Us: Remastered
The Witness
Fifa17
NBA 2K17
Shadow of Mordor
Nioh

There are more, these are just the ones I can pull off the top of my head.

Checkboard 4K:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Battleborn
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

1800p (*native):

Final Fantasy XV
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Mass Effect Andromeda
Watchdogs 2
No Mans Sky*
Ratchet and Clank
Mafia 3*

There are certainly 1440p games (Fallout, Titanfall, Dishonoured) but a good bulk of Pro compatible games are higher resolution.

What does "checkerboard 4k" mean?