By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I upgrade to the Pro?

Buy a Pro?

Yes 110 52.13%

No 73 34.60%

Results 28 13.27%

Total:211
Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Hence why I said "some games"

And not really imo. Like yea if u are looking at averages, its a good gain but nothing remarkable... Cause basically its just hitting the target framerate that ps4 was supposed to hit in the first place which is okay but nothing wow worthy imo. And with games like bloodborne, it doesn't even do anything of note.

So I doubt boost mode would have made me keep the ps4 pro.

Yes it does, Bloodborne drops frame in certain areas.

Evil Within, EDF 4.1, Dragon Quest Heroes, Until Dawn, Star Ocean 5, DOAX3, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil revaltions 2, Bladestorm, Life is strange X times any DW game and more, all improve from the boost mode as they are dropping frames.

And i am not even into AAA games..

Which again, I said it does hardly "anything of note". It still has frame pacing issues even on the pro... Just slightly less so according to google.

And yes, again I said games do see an improvement. My issue is, the improvement isn't very big... Going from dropping frames to slightly less dropping frames which is what is happening with bloodborne isn't that great imo. And yes, some games do see an improvement but it's just not that care worthy improvement imo and not to mention that not every game sees the same kinds of improvement. Some games have noticable improvements while others... Not so much...

https://www.stuff.tv/features/ps4-pro-boost-mode-how-effective-it

Bloodborne:

"Does the Boost wipe out those stutters in frame-rate, giving gamers the rock-steady 30fps the developer aimed for? Not quite – in a 20-minute dip back into the gore-sodden streets of Yharnam I did note the odd dropped frame here and there – but it’s certainly an improvement on the non-Boost version, delivering a smoother, stabler FPS count. Loading times also get a slight trim."

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I've now ordered a Pro :)
I think it's the right decision, seeing as I don't want to take the risk of having to take my PS4 with me back and forth during flights, that I've already got a 4K TV, and that I've basically bought all games I'm interested in at the moment :) (got almost 60 retail games). Can't wait to take a chug at my backlog with the pro :P

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

if you can afford it and can handle the three tier look of it compared to the original then sure.

Tmfwang said:
I think it's the right decision, seeing as I don't want to take the risk of having to take my PS4 with me back and forth during flights, that I've already got a 4K TV, and that I've basically bought all games I'm interested in at the moment :) (got almost 60 retail games). Can't wait to take a chug at my backlog with the pro :P

Welp, prepare to be disappointed I guess... pretty much no difference, especially if your tv is only 40".  Should have saved your money or diversified by getting an Xbox or switch... 

gergroy said:
Tmfwang said:

Welp, prepare to be disappointed I guess... pretty much no difference, especially if your tv is only 40".  Should have saved your money or diversified by getting an Xbox or switch... 

I wonder, what games have you played on your pro since you haven't noticed any difference? 

Also, I wouldn't buy an Xbox nor a Switch, at least not yet. There are way too few games on them that I'm interested in.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Around the Network
gergroy said:
I have a 70 inch 4K tv and I bought the pro the day it came out... I can barely tell the difference. Save your money man...

It may depend on the OP's vision. I have a 75" 4K HDR TV and 20/15 vision. For me it is very easy to see the difference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4K from my 10' viewing distance.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

gergroy said:
I have a 70 inch 4K tv and I bought the pro the day it came out... I can barely tell the difference. Save your money man...

Don't mean to be rude but I either don't believe or you or you should really get your eyes checked. It's debatable if it's visible on a 40" TV at normal viewing distance but it's highly visible and very obvious on a 70", if you even have one. Especially since most 4K TV simply don't have great upscalers so your non 4K console looks worse on it than on a normal 1080p TV.

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

Yes it does, Bloodborne drops frame in certain areas.

Evil Within, EDF 4.1, Dragon Quest Heroes, Until Dawn, Star Ocean 5, DOAX3, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil revaltions 2, Bladestorm, Life is strange X times any DW game and more, all improve from the boost mode as they are dropping frames.

And i am not even into AAA games..

Which again, I said it does hardly "anything of note". It still has frame pacing issues even on the pro... Just slightly less so according to google.

And yes, again I said games do see an improvement. My issue is, the improvement isn't very big... Going from dropping frames to slightly less dropping frames which is what is happening with bloodborne isn't that great imo. And yes, some games do see an improvement but it's just not that care worthy improvement imo and not to mention that not every game sees the same kinds of improvement. Some games have noticable improvements while others... Not so much...

Bloodborne:

"Does the Boost wipe out those stutters in frame-rate, giving gamers the rock-steady 30fps the developer aimed for? Not quite – in a 20-minute dip back into the gore-sodden streets of Yharnam I did note the odd dropped frame here and there – but it’s certainly an improvement on the non-Boost version, delivering a smoother, stabler FPS count. Loading times also get a slight trim."

Improved performance doesn't fix frame pacing problems....those are rooted in the code.

Also just because Bloodborne doesn't benefit much from the Pro doesn't mean other games don't either. Most do noticeably.

Tmfwang said:

Congratulations! You've made the right choice. You won't regret it.

Tmfwang said:
gergroy said:

I wonder, what games have you played on your pro since you haven't noticed any difference? 

Also, I wouldn't buy an Xbox nor a Switch, at least not yet. There are way too few games on them that I'm interested in.

He doesn't own one...that's pretty much obvious. Don't let the haters fool you.

Errorist76 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Bloodborne:

Improved performance doesn't fix frame pacing problems....those are rooted in the code.

Also just because Bloodborne doesn't benefit much from the Pro doesn't mean other games don't either. Most do noticeably.

The issue is, the performance isn't very much improved for bloodborne anyways...

Did you know that also I said that games do benefit from boost mode? Not sure the point of the second sentence... And games see somewhere from 1-15fps improvement but to me... That wasn't worth the purchase at all because of how variable it is. You have games like bloodborne which hardly sees any improvement while you have games like AC:U which sees noticable improvements so it's a roll of the dice as to whether or not you will see a noticable benefit.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850