By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I upgrade to the Pro?

Buy a Pro?

Yes 110 52.13%

No 73 34.60%

Results 28 13.27%

Total:211
Errorist76 said:
gergroy said:
I have a 70 inch 4K tv and I bought the pro the day it came out... I can barely tell the difference. Save your money man...

Don't mean to be rude but I either don't believe or you or you should really get your eyes checked. It's debatable if it's visible on a 40" TV at normal viewing distance but it's highly visible and very obvious on a 70", if you even have one. Especially since most 4K TV simply don't have great upscalers so your non 4K console looks worse on it than on a normal 1080p TV.

Visible yes, but like others have said, it's a pretty meh difference.  Hardly worth another $400 bucks since he already has a PS4.  If he was buying a PS4 for the first time than sure, go get a pro, but he isn't.  So basically, it is a waste of money that could be spent on other more important things since he is moving away from home for the first time.

Also, I did not lie about anything nor am I a hater by any means.  I freaking bought the pro the day it came out even though I already had a PS4 (Also purchased at launch) I was just sharing my experience with it, if I were to do it over again, I wouldn't get the pro.  Regular PS4 works just fine.

Around the Network
Tmfwang said:
gergroy said:

Welp, prepare to be disappointed I guess... pretty much no difference, especially if your tv is only 40".  Should have saved your money or diversified by getting an Xbox or switch... 

I wonder, what games have you played on your pro since you haven't noticed any difference? 

Also, I wouldn't buy an Xbox nor a Switch, at least not yet. There are way too few games on them that I'm interested in.

I have played tons as I have had it for a while now.  Im not going to list them all but I have over 50 PS4 games (not counting all the indie and ps+ games as that would put me over 200).  I have plenty that have pro differences like shadow of mordor and horizon.  They do look sharper, but you don't notice it after a minute of playing.  

Just feels like like you could have spent it on something you actually need, but whatever, you made your choice.

I post this video of my game room every chance I get: https://youtu.be/Z4j6dXUJBYw

In that room, there's:
43 inch Sony Bravia X800D
Shitty PC
PS4 Pro
Wii U
Nintendo Switch
Xbox 360 S
Xbox One S
PS3 Slim
Bose (900? Whatever they are, they were a big deal).
PSP 3000
PS Vita 3G
New Nintendo 3DS
PSVR

In the closet there's:
Wii
Ouya
PS TV
In the living room there's another Xbox One 1tb and a PS4

In the bedroom there's another 500gb Xbox One

I own most of the"most own" games on the market for every system. On PS4, Uncharted, Horizon, Crash, Gravity Rush 2, Nier 2, and several other games are purchased digitally. I don't even slightly regret the purchase of a PS4 Pro but I don't think it's a great big leap, either. Often times, it's not even noticeable, if it exists at all. I just like owning everything.

Buy it. Enjoy it. Don't get your hopes too high.

gergroy said:
Errorist76 said:

Don't mean to be rude but I either don't believe or you or you should really get your eyes checked. It's debatable if it's visible on a 40" TV at normal viewing distance but it's highly visible and very obvious on a 70", if you even have one. Especially since most 4K TV simply don't have great upscalers so your non 4K console looks worse on it than on a normal 1080p TV.

Visible yes, but like others have said, it's a pretty meh difference.  Hardly worth another $400 bucks since he already has a PS4.  If he was buying a PS4 for the first time than sure, go get a pro, but he isn't.  So basically, it is a waste of money that could be spent on other more important things since he is moving away from home for the first time.

I don't see how that adds up tbh...He could well trade in his other PS4 if the transport wouldn't be something he is worried about.

Built in upscalers in 4K TVs look bad mostly. So bad a normal PS4 would look considerbaly worse on the 4K TV than a PS4 Pro would. I assume you don't own a 4K TV?! In that case it's indeed debatable if the Pro is worth the extra 100+ though even then I'd say yes. It's really just 100$ more, maybe a bit more if one looks at Slim sales for a comparable 1TB model.  But I understand everyone who would say not for me.

The fact this guy owns a 4K TV alone is reason enough to invest in a Pro imho.

gergroy said:

I have played tons as I have had it for a while now.  Im not going to list them all but I have over 50 PS4 games (not counting all the indie and ps+ games as that would put me over 200).  I have plenty that have pro differences like shadow of mordor and horizon.  They do look sharper, but you don't notice it after a minute of playing.  

That's how it works with technology. You would surely notice if someone suddenly replaced your Pro with a regular PS4. (still assuming you eventually have a 4K TV)

Well, from the OP it sounds like you're already planning on getting one, so I guess that's the choice for you.

Around the Network

Sure, why not.

Errorist76 said:
gergroy said:

I don't see how that adds up tbh...He could well trade in his other PS4 if the transport wouldn't be something he is worried about.

Built in upscalers in 4K TVs look bad mostly. So bad a normal PS4 would look considerbaly worse on the 4K TV than a PS4 Pro would. I assume you don't own a 4K TV?! In that case it's indeed debatable if the Pro is worth the extra 100+ though even then I'd say yes. It's really just 100$ more, maybe a bit more if one looks at Slim sales for a comparable 1TB model.  But I understand everyone who would say not for me.

The fact this guy owns a 4K TV alone is reason enough to invest in a Pro imho.

gergroy said:

That's how it works with technology. You would surely notice if someone suddenly replaced your Pro with a regular PS4. (still assuming you eventually have a 4K TV)

Yes I have a 4K 70 inch Samsung tv.  I love how you keep assuming I don't have what I say I have just because I am not as high on the technology as you obviously are.  I certainly bought into it when I first got the tv, but have really only been trying to justify that purchase since (thus the pro purchase).  I have a 60 inch 1080p tv in another room with my old PS4 and like I said, there isn't that big of difference.  If I sat there and paused the screen and really analyzed then obviously the 4K with pro would be better.  However, like I said, after a minute of playing you don't notice anymore, which is how the human mind works!😜

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

Yes it does, Bloodborne drops frame in certain areas.

Evil Within, EDF 4.1, Dragon Quest Heroes, Until Dawn, Star Ocean 5, DOAX3, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil revaltions 2, Bladestorm, Life is strange X times any DW game and more, all improve from the boost mode as they are dropping frames.

And i am not even into AAA games..

Which again, I said it does hardly "anything of note". It still has frame pacing issues even on the pro... Just slightly less so according to google.

And yes, again I said games do see an improvement. My issue is, the improvement isn't very big... Going from dropping frames to slightly less dropping frames which is what is happening with bloodborne isn't that great imo. And yes, some games do see an improvement but it's just not that care worthy improvement imo and not to mention that not every game sees the same kinds of improvement. Some games have noticable improvements while others... Not so much...

https://www.stuff.tv/features/ps4-pro-boost-mode-how-effective-it

Bloodborne:

"Does the Boost wipe out those stutters in frame-rate, giving gamers the rock-steady 30fps the developer aimed for? Not quite – in a 20-minute dip back into the gore-sodden streets of Yharnam I did note the odd dropped frame here and there – but it’s certainly an improvement on the non-Boost version, delivering a smoother, stabler FPS count. Loading times also get a slight trim."

You need someone else opnion for an argument? If you would have kept your Pro you could know it for yourself. The framedrops are pretty much fixed, what the dude sees as frame drop is the frame pacing issue which i never claimed to be solved

Lol, how did I miss this thread? Having the same dilemma myself.

Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Which again, I said it does hardly "anything of note". It still has frame pacing issues even on the pro... Just slightly less so according to google.

And yes, again I said games do see an improvement. My issue is, the improvement isn't very big... Going from dropping frames to slightly less dropping frames which is what is happening with bloodborne isn't that great imo. And yes, some games do see an improvement but it's just not that care worthy improvement imo and not to mention that not every game sees the same kinds of improvement. Some games have noticable improvements while others... Not so much...

https://www.stuff.tv/features/ps4-pro-boost-mode-how-effective-it

Bloodborne:

"Does the Boost wipe out those stutters in frame-rate, giving gamers the rock-steady 30fps the developer aimed for? Not quite – in a 20-minute dip back into the gore-sodden streets of Yharnam I did note the odd dropped frame here and there – but it’s certainly an improvement on the non-Boost version, delivering a smoother, stabler FPS count. Loading times also get a slight trim."

You need someone else opnion for an argument? If you would have kept your Pro you could know it for yourself. The framedrops are pretty much fixed, what the dude sees as frame drop is the frame pacing issue which i never claimed to be solved

Or you know... It is still dropping frames... And yea I need someone else's opinion since I don't have the ps4 pro anymore but it doesn't matter either ways cause its your opinion vs his and I would rather believe his than yours given your posting history and reputation... But here, lets get proof from someone with tools that measure this stuff: Skip to 2:03

See? It dropped a frame... Now if you watch the entire video, boost mode drops less frames than base mode... But it again, still drops frames from time to time.

And even if I assume your are right and bloodbrone doesn't drop frames anymore, the fact that the framepacing is still a problem means that I made the correct choice of selling my ps4 pro cause frame pacing issues is still bad...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850