By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I upgrade to the Pro?

Buy a Pro?

Yes 110 52.13%

No 73 34.60%

Results 28 13.27%

Total:211

I don't even have a 4k TV and it's worth it so yeah. It will pretty much guarantee you have a working comsole until the ps5. Your older ps4 might break before then so it's an extra insurance on top of the already worth it upgrades.

Around the Network
Tmfwang said:

So the thing is, I'm moving away from my home in two weeks, halfway across the country. And I just started thinking about buying a pro, so that I can keep my regular ps4 at home, ready to play whenever I visit. That way I also avoid the hazzle (and risk) with bringing my PS4 with me on my flight home. I already have a 40" 4K samsung TV :)

So, is it worth it? :P

One could question if a 4K TV at only 40" was really worth it (does it have a decent latency with HDR?!) but I really think the Pro is worth it, be it for better image quality, performance (also in older games), faster load times or better VR capabilities. If you don't want to wait for the inevitable 50 dollar price drop in fall (and the according availability problems) I'd say go for it. It's a great machine despite all the haters.

bananaking21 said:
Or just buy a regular PS4 and use the extra money on more games.

Tbh for just 100 bucks less or so it's not worth it. 2.3 times the power plus more RAM for just 100 more is a steal. One must be either cheap or stupid to go for a slim now, especially regarding future investments and if someone has a 4K TV already, like the OP.

Captain_Yuri said:

I had a ps4 pro when it launched. Eventually sold it and got a slim bundle that had a really good discount instead. The difference from a regular ps4 to the pro was pretty meh to me since there isn't much standardization as to what you will get and it is heavily left to the devs as far as effort goes. Most, at least from what I can tell, just do the basics and call it a day. So your milage will vary.

You obviously didn't have a 4K TV, so your point is mute.

VAMatt said:
If the price difference is not significant for you, then of course get the pro. But, if that extra money is going to hurt, I don't think it's worth it. I have a pro, and I'm happy with it. But, I can barely tell the difference between the pro and the regular PS4.

One can easily spot the difference on a 4K TV . Normal 1080p output upscaled usually doesn't look great on 4K TVs. Plus faster load times!

Captain_Yuri said:

What does "checkerboard 4k" mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkerboard_rendering

It's a technique PS4 Pro and XBox One X use to reach 4K or close to 4K resolutions without having to render a native 4K output. As far as I know even PC will get this technology in future games. 

As much as you seem to 'know' (or have heard) about the Pro I find it somehow strange you don't know what checkerboarding is.

Captain_Yuri said:
Normchacho said:

It's definetly not mostly a 1440p console. Here's a quick rundown of some of the Pro compatible games.

Native 4K:

Pyre
The Last of Us: Remastered
The Witness
Fifa17
NBA 2K17
Shadow of Mordor
Nioh

There are more, these are just the ones I can pull off the top of my head.

Checkboard 4K:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Battleborn
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

1800p (*native):

Final Fantasy XV
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Mass Effect Andromeda
Watchdogs 2
No Mans Sky*
Ratchet and Clank
Mafia 3*

There are certainly 1440p games (Fallout, Titanfall, Dishonoured) but a good bulk of Pro compatible games are higher resolution.

Checkerboarding is a rendering technique that's used to increase the resolution of a game by taking data from a previous frame and placing it into a new frame. It's way more effective than upscalling and way less demanding than rendering a new pixel natively.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

You sold it before the boost mode was accounced 

Boost mode isn't that good either and makes some games unstable... It bearly makes a difference for a lot of games anyway 

It doesnt, only some 2D games maybe have some graphic errors. 5-10fps more is a huge difference on average

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Checkerboarding is a rendering technique that's used to increase the resolution of a game by taking data from a previous frame and placing it into a new frame. It's way more effective than upscalling and way less demanding than rendering a new pixel natively.

That doesn't tell me anything... Most ps4 pro games do that. What I mean is, what does it mean when you said "checkerboard 4k"? Like what resolution is it checkerboarding to 4k from? Cause it doesn't make much sense if it checkerboards to 4k from 4k res...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Boost mode isn't that good either and makes some games unstable... It bearly makes a difference for a lot of games anyway 

It doesnt, only some 2D games maybe have some graphic errors. 5-10fps more is a huge difference on average

Hence why I said "some games"

And not really imo. Like yea if u are looking at averages, its a good gain but nothing remarkable... Cause basically its just hitting the target framerate that ps4 was supposed to hit in the first place which is okay but nothing wow worthy imo. And with games like bloodborne, it doesn't even do anything of note.

So I doubt boost mode would have made me keep the ps4 pro.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

Hence why I said "some games"

And not really imo. Like yea if u are looking at averages, its a good gain but nothing remarkable... Cause basically its just hitting the target framerate that ps4 was supposed to hit in the first place which is okay but nothing wow worthy imo. And with games like bloodborne, it doesn't even do anything of note.

So I doubt boost mode would have made me keep the ps4 pro.

Yes it does, Bloodborne drops frame in certain areas.

Evil Within, EDF 4.1, Dragon Quest Heroes, Until Dawn, Star Ocean 5, DOAX3, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil revaltions 2, Bladestorm, Life is strange X times any DW game and more, all improve from the boost mode as they are dropping frames.

And i am not even into AAA games..

I have a 70 inch 4K tv and I bought the pro the day it came out... I can barely tell the difference. Save your money man...

Captain_Yuri said:
Normchacho said:

That doesn't tell me anything... Most ps4 pro games do that. What I mean is, what does it mean when you said "checkerboard 4k"? Like what resolution is it checkerboarding to 4k from? Cause it doesn't make much sense if it checkerboards to 4k from 4k res...

Sorry, to checkerboard to a resolution you need to render half of the pixels in the native resolution you're going for. So a checkerboard 4K image is going be natively rendering something to the tune of 1527 X 2715.

Mind you, checkerboarding isn't resource free. So it takes more power to render a 4K checkerboard image than it would to produce a native 1527 X 2715 image, but there's a pretty sizable jump in image quality.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.