By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 sells 5m in Japan!

Tagged games:

Congrats! I think it's doing well considering the current japanese market.

Around the Network

Persona didn't push it as high as I expected despite being constantly on top of the most wanted charts. Let's see if DQ and MH can do better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's actually not that impressive, 3.5 years into this gen...

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

That have to do with context. PS4 is the best selling HW in that market for a long margin. It doesn't make sense to compare it to PS1 and PS2 from over 10 years ago, you have to compare to what is available on the market. And considering what is selling there PS4 is doing good and considering how much Japan as a whole have dropped PS4 being ahead of PS3 is quite good in itself.

But offcourse you do realise that PS4 is much more attractive console than PS3 was and that is selling on evre market expect Japan twice better than PS3!? PS3 is worst selling Sony console in Japan, that had very high price at launch and very strong competition in Wii, PS4 basically until recently had like competition only failed Wii U in Japan, and all PS4 managed to do until now in Japan is to sell on pair with that same PS3, while in rest of the world PS4 that has competition in XB1 is killing PS3 in sales. PS4 sales in Japan are not good, but having in mind somehow changed Japanese market, they are not bad either.

Boutros said:

Isn't that the case, though?

It is very supply constrained which makes it hard to compare (at least until it isn't anymore) but as far as I know the Switch is trailing well behind the GBA which is the worst selling Nintendo handheld in Japan (except the Virtual Boy of course lol).

I mean if that's how you gauge success then the Switch isn't doing good at all.

But fact is that Switch isn't handheld only, its home console also and actually has price point of home console, Switch is a hybrid. And like you wrote, Switch is still heavily supply contriend, we still don't know what is ceiling for Switch. While PS4 is just a home console and PS3 is just home console.

Exactly,  Switch is home console + handheld so it needs to be compared to Wii U + 3DS or DS + Wii etc etc.  So by your own logic Switch is doing terribly. Which obviously isn't true because that logic is terrible. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Compare that with percentage of sales PS1, PS2 and PS3 in Japan compared to world wide sales, and you will see that evre Sony hardware had higher than 10% of sales. Actually PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we donct count Xboxs offcourse) in Japan.

Yeah, and like I said Japan used to punch above it's weight when it comes to console sales. Now it doesn't, now it's much more in line with where you'd expect a country of it's size and wealth to be.

Circumstances change, and naturally expections should change with them.

We don't know that for sure, actually only example we have is PS4, like I wrote, PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we don't count Xboxes of course) in Japan.

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

But offcourse you do realise that PS4 is much more attractive console than PS3 was and that is selling on evre market expect Japan twice better than PS3!? PS3 is worst selling Sony console in Japan, that had very high price at launch and very strong competition in Wii, PS4 basically until recently had like competition only failed Wii U in Japan, and all PS4 managed to do until now in Japan is to sell on pair with that same PS3, while in rest of the world PS4 that has competition in XB1 is killing PS3 in sales. PS4 sales in Japan are not good, but having in mind somehow changed Japanese market, they are not bad either.

But fact is that Switch isn't handheld only, its home console also and actually has price point of home console, Switch is a hybrid. And like you wrote, Switch is still heavily supply contriend, we still don't know what is ceiling for Switch. While PS4 is just a home console and PS3 is just home console.

Exactly,  Switch is home console + handheld so it needs to be compared to Wii U + 3DS or DS + Wii etc etc.  So by your own logic Switch is doing terribly. Which obviously isn't true because that logic is terrible. 

Eh, it's not so simple, even it is hybrid its still just one device, and its something new and different on gaming market to any previous gaming hardware so it's not so easy for comparison in any case. And Switch is still heavily supply contriend, we still don't know what is ceiling for Switch, so that makes things even harder for comparison. While PS4 is a just home console same like a PS3.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

We don't know that for sure, actually only example we have is PS4, like I wrote, PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we don't count Xboxes of course) in Japan.

We do know that actually. PS3, 3DS, Vita and Xbox One are all other examples of just that.

And %s are completely irrelevant, they mean absolutely nothing. Look at the actual numbers and it's clear as day to anyone that Japan is a much smaller market for console gaming these days than it was in the 5th and 6th gens. %s cloud that because they don't take in to account that fact that Xbox 360 provided much more competition to PS3s non-Japanese sales than the Xbox One did and of course another huge factor in that Europe is now a bigger market than it's ever been before.

That's not true, PS3, 3DS, Vita and Wii U sold less world wide less than PS2, DS, PSP and Wii, that wasn't case just for Japan. Xbox never was relevant in Japan. Like I wrote, PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we don't count Xboxes of course) in Japan.

% tells us exactly how much some gaming hardware is popular or how much sales have compare to other markets. I looked at sale numbers, and I see that console that is on path to become second best selling console in world ever and that has competiton of XB1, is selling just on pair with worst selling Sony console ever in Japan, that isnt impresive in any case. Wii U was home console, and despite its worst selling Nintendo console ever, sold around 25% of all sales in Japan.

The most annoying thing about Japanese sales threads here and on gaf are the pessimists who never get tired of moaning week after week how bad the sales are. Japan has been declining like half a decade now, no need to shit on sales milestones you were ridiculing about not being possible. A few years ago the prevalent predictions were that PS4 would sell 5-6M tops in Japan.

Japanese home sales may never recover to Gen 5-6 levels and that's okay, as long as their devs make up for it with sales in Asia and the West, which they seem to be doing just that this gen.

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's not true, PS3, 3DS, Vita and Wii U sold less world wide less than PS2, DS, PSP and Wii, that wasn't case just for Japan. Xbox never was relevant in Japan. Like I wrote, PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we don't count Xboxes of course) in Japan.

% tells us exactly how much some gaming hardware is popular or how much sales have compare to other markets. I looked at sale numbers, and I see that console that is on path to become second best selling console in world ever and that has competiton of XB1, is selling just on pair with worst selling Sony console ever in Japan, that isnt impresive in any case. Wii U was home console, and despite its worst selling Nintendo console ever, sold around 25% of all sales in Japan.

It does the latter, not the former. It clearly doesn't do the former because absolute sales numbers do tell exactly how popular something is, %s don't. It does show how it compares to other markets, but that's irrelevant in determening whether a market has shrunk or not since it fails to take oh so many things in to account. If you want to see how large a market for consoles is in a country compared to how it used to be, look at the overall sales figures. So tell me, are total consoles sales for Japan in the 8th gen lower than the 7th gen? Are 7th gen lower than 6th gen? Is it obvious that the market is much smaller than it used to be? Yes, yes and yes.

But 8th gen sales are lower world wide compared to 7th gen not just in Japan, only reason why 7th gen is lower than 7th gen in Japan compared to world wide 6th gen sales is Xbox360 that was never popular in Japan (without Xbox 360, worldwide sales 7th gen would be also lower than 6th gen).

Again, I looked at sale numbers, and I see that console that is on path to become second best selling console in world ever and that has competiton of XB1, is selling just on pair with worst selling Sony console ever in Japan, that isnt impresive in any case.

Turkish said:
The most annoying thing about Japanese sales threads here and on gaf are the pessimists who never get tired of moaning week after week how bad the sales are. Japan has been declining like half a decade now, no need to shit on sales milestones you were ridiculing about not being possible. A few years ago the prevalent predictions were that PS4 would sell 5-6M tops in Japan.

Japanese home sales may never recover to Gen 5-6 levels and that's okay, as long as their devs make up for it with sales in Asia and the West, which they seem to be doing just that this gen.

Haha those were the days. When all the doom mongers thought ps4 wouldn't outsell vita or wii u. When they thought it couldn't even break 6m. It will be around 6M by years end alone lmao. 

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

What will you say when it beats it to 6/7/8m etc?  If you look at the graph ps4 stayed ahead despite ps3 having by far it's best period. It will now power on ahead of it and create a sizable lead.  What a beast.  The Wii U and XB1 both failed badly in Japan.  Kudos to ps4 for keeping the traditional home console market alive. 

I'll say the same.  The PS1 did 19m, PS2 23m and PS3 10.5m (i think).  I expect PS4 to fall short of 10m and so continue the downward trajectory.

Welcome back. Unfortunetly PS4 is tracking ahead of ps3 and it will extend it's lead by a lot this year and next. You should know by now to stop underestimating the PS4 :) 

Kerotan said:
I don't think we see a ps5 before 2020 and personally see 9m as the minimum. It has a great shot at 10m+

I hope that we don't see a PS5 before then, but I'm not so confident about that.