By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 sells 5m in Japan!

Tagged games:

Miyamotoo said:
Boutros said:

Maybe because the Japanese market is very different from every other market..

I don't know why people's standards should be the same.

PS4 sold 65m world wide and only 5m from those WW sales go to Japan market, and its selling on pair with worst seling Sony console in Japan, so I dont think thats good. But I think its good that PS4 come back because had terrible 1st year in Japan.

But agree, people have different standards.

I'm sure you would be celebrating if WiiU or Switch was able to equal WW the worse selling PS to date, PS3 right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I understand that, but again, PS4 sold 65m world wide and only 5m from those WW sales go to Japan market, and its selling on pair with worst selling Sony console in Japan, so I dont think thats so good. 3DS is down from best selling handheld ever in generation when it competing with mobile phones, and still will be  3. best selling hardware of all time in Japan (after GB and DS).

So even with decline of home consoles in Japan, I dont think it's impressive that PS4 that is on path to be one of best selling console of all time (after PS2), in Japan is selling just on pair with worst selling Sony console of all time.

Population of Japan compared to Europe + North America = 8.83%

Percentage of PS4 sales in Japan compared to Europe + North America = 7.69%

That looks pretty close to me. Add in the rest of the world and Japan would have a greater share of console sales that it's size would suggest.

Fact is, Japan has long punched above it's weight when it comes to console sales, now it's just much more in line with other countries of a similar size. Nobody is saying PS4 sales in the UK or Germany are bad because they are only a small portion of worldwide sales, why shouldn't the same be true of Japan?

Haven't you ever heard that success/fail in the past warrants success/fail in the future and that all markets stay forever the same?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

kowenicki said:
Its matching PS3 which was considered very mediocre indeed after a horrible start and ridiculous starting price in Japan... and that's great? It isn't.

If the XBO were to somehow sell 2 million, this would be considered incredible, even though that is still well below the worst selling consoles ever from their competitors. Why? Well, there is this thing called context, and you are much too smart to not understand why the point your are trying to make is dumb. You know the context of the Japanese market and why this is a fairly good performace (which is the most anyone in this thread has claimed it to be). You just choose to ignore it for some reason.

Faelco said:
kowenicki said:
Its matching PS3 which was considered very mediocre indeed after a horrible start and ridiculous starting price in Japan... and that's great? It isn't.

If you completely ignore everything about the Japanese video game market and its evolution, then yeah, you're right... 

Back when ps4 vs xbox one could actually be described as a battle many xbox fans used to proclaim Japan is irrelevant.  Kowenicki was one of them.  As we can see the country has single handedly given ps4 a 5m lead over xbox.  Pretty significant.  When all is said and done it will probably give it a 10m+ lead over xbox. 

Just wait for Monster Hunter World...will take it to 10 Million lol

Around the Network

not amazing, it's on the same level like ps3 on the same time, but maybe it will change with upcoming games like dragon quest, monster hunter world, ffviir,....

ZODIARKrebirth said:
not amazing, it's on the same level like ps3 on the same time, but maybe it will change with upcoming games like dragon quest, monster hunter world, ffviir,....

Japan market for HH and mainly consoles have been diminishing from PS3 era forward, so PS4 making the same that PS3 did is actually commendable.

DonFerrari said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

Japan market for HH and mainly consoles have been diminishing from PS3 era forward, so PS4 making the same that PS3 did is actually commendable.

that's right, but i think the missing big hitters for the ps4 in japan are still missing, so this could be another effect too, but the upcoming games could change this...if we think how big was the effect with release of persona 5

kowenicki said:

The PS4 is tracking ahead of the PS3 launch aligned despite the Japanese market being less friendly for home consoles this generation than the last. The PS3 came out in Japan before mobile gaming became a big thing in the country, so the fact that the PS4 beat its predecessor to 5 million in spite of those challenges is pretty impressive.

You also have to take into account that it is easier for Sony to cut the PS4's price. Unlike the PS3 which uses esoteric technology, the PS4 uses off the shelf x86 parts that make the BOM way cheaper. In addition, the PS4 passed 5 million before DQXI comes out and the PS3 never had a mainline Dragon Quest game. Other games such as Monster Hunter World and Final Fantasy VII Remake should also provide significant boosts to the PS4's sales.

Japan is a second rate market for Sony. It isn't an important market but it's good to still them hit 5 million there. Could end up at 8-9 million. NA and Europe are the important markets