By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 sells 5m in Japan!

Tagged games:

Great milestone. I am not sure that PS4 will sell as many units as PS3 in Japan, because PS3 had impressive legs over there.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I understand that, but again, PS4 sold 65m world wide and only 5m from those WW sales go to Japan market, and its selling on pair with worst selling Sony console in Japan, so I dont think thats so good. 3DS is down from best selling handheld ever in generation when it competing with mobile phones, and still will be  3. best selling hardware of all time in Japan (after GB and DS).

So even with decline of home consoles in Japan, I dont think it's impressive that PS4 that is on path to be one of best selling console of all time (after PS2), in Japan is selling just on pair with worst selling Sony console of all time.

Population of Japan compared to Europe + North America = 8.83%

Percentage of PS4 sales in Japan compared to Europe + North America = 7.69%

That looks pretty close to me. Add in the rest of the world and Japan would have a greater share of console sales that it's size would suggest.

Fact is, Japan has long punched above it's weight when it comes to console sales, now it's just much more in line with other countries of a similar size. Nobody is saying PS4 sales in the UK or Germany are bad because they are only a small portion of worldwide sales, why shouldn't the same be true of Japan?

Compare that with percentage of sales PS1, PS2 and PS3 in Japan compared to world wide sales, and you will see that evre Sony hardware had higher than 10% of sales. Actually PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we donct count Xboxs offcourse) in Japan.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

PS4 sold 65m world wide and only 5m from those WW sales go to Japan market, and its selling on pair with worst seling Sony console in Japan, so I dont think thats good. But I think its good that PS4 come back because had terrible 1st year in Japan.

But agree, people have different standards.

I'm sure you would be celebrating if WiiU or Switch was able to equal WW the worse selling PS to date, PS3 right?

Of Course but I don't see how that hasnt anything with what we are talking here. I definitely wouldn't celebrate Japan sales if Switch is selling on pair with worst selling Nintendo console in Japan, and thats my point.

Kyuu said:
Ljink96 said:

About time, took long enough. Maybe MHW and Dragon Quest XI can get it to 6M. 

6M lifetime?

It ll probably reach 9-10m at some point in Japan (lifetime wise)

ZODIARKrebirth said:
DonFerrari said:

Japan market for HH and mainly consoles have been diminishing from PS3 era forward, so PS4 making the same that PS3 did is actually commendable.

that's right, but i think the missing big hitters for the ps4 in japan are still missing, so this could be another effect too, but the upcoming games could change this...if we think how big was the effect with release of persona 5

Yes you are right. There is potential for some growth on Japan and keep the market viable genwide and perhaps even for PS5.

Miyamotoo said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Population of Japan compared to Europe + North America = 8.83%

Percentage of PS4 sales in Japan compared to Europe + North America = 7.69%

That looks pretty close to me. Add in the rest of the world and Japan would have a greater share of console sales that it's size would suggest.

Fact is, Japan has long punched above it's weight when it comes to console sales, now it's just much more in line with other countries of a similar size. Nobody is saying PS4 sales in the UK or Germany are bad because they are only a small portion of worldwide sales, why shouldn't the same be true of Japan?

Compare that with percentage of sales PS1, PS2 and PS3 in Japan compared to world wide sales, and you will see that evre Sony hardware had higher than 10% of sales. Actually PS4 is first gaming hardware ever that has less than 10% of all sales (if we donct count Xboxs offcourse) in Japan.

DonFerrari said:

I'm sure you would be celebrating if WiiU or Switch was able to equal WW the worse selling PS to date, PS3 right?

Of Course but I don't see how that hasnt anything with what we are talking here. I definitely wouldn't celebrate Japan sales if Switch is selling on pair with worst selling Nintendo console in Japan, and thats my point.

That have to do with context. PS4 is the best selling HW in that market for a long margin. It doesn't make sense to compare it to PS1 and PS2 from over 10 years ago, you have to compare to what is available on the market. And considering what is selling there PS4 is doing good and considering how much Japan as a whole have dropped PS4 being ahead of PS3 is quite good in itself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Isn't that the case, though?

It is very supply constrained which makes it hard to compare (at least until it isn't anymore) but as far as I know the Switch is trailing well behind the GBA which is the worst selling Nintendo handheld in Japan (except the Virtual Boy of course lol).

I mean if that's how you gauge success then the Switch isn't doing good at all.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

That have to do with context. PS4 is the best selling HW in that market for a long margin. It doesn't make sense to compare it to PS1 and PS2 from over 10 years ago, you have to compare to what is available on the market. And considering what is selling there PS4 is doing good and considering how much Japan as a whole have dropped PS4 being ahead of PS3 is quite good in itself.

But offcourse you do realise that PS4 is much more attractive console than PS3 was and that is selling on evre market expect Japan twice better than PS3!? PS3 is worst selling Sony console in Japan, that had very high price at launch and very strong competition in Wii, PS4 basically until recently had like competition only failed Wii U in Japan, and all PS4 managed to do until now in Japan is to sell on pair with that same PS3, while in rest of the world PS4 that has competition in XB1 is killing PS3 in sales. PS4 sales in Japan are not good, but having in mind somehow changed Japanese market, they are not bad either.

Boutros said:
Miyamotoo said:

Isn't that the case, though?

It is very supply constrained which makes it hard to compare (at least until it isn't anymore) but as far as I know the Switch is trailing well behind the GBA which is the worst selling Nintendo handheld in Japan (except the Virtual Boy of course lol).

I mean if that's how you gauge success then the Switch isn't doing good at all.

But fact is that Switch isn't handheld only, its home console also and actually has price point of home console, Switch is a hybrid. And like you wrote, Switch is still heavily supply contriend, we still don't know what is ceiling for Switch. While PS4 is just a home console and PS3 is just home console.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

But offcourse you do realise that PS4 is much more attractive console than PS3 was and that is selling on evre market expect Japan twice better than PS3!? PS3 is worst selling Sony console in Japan, that had very high price at launch and very strong competition in Wii, PS4 basically until recently had like competition only failed Wii U in Japan, and all PS4 managed to do until now in Japan is to sell on pair with that same PS3, while in rest of the world PS4 that has competition in XB1 is killing PS3 in sales. PS4 sales in Japan are not good, but having in mind somehow changed Japanese market, they are not bad either.

On a very odd reality you live then WiiU done good in Japan and PS4 bad because of the percentages relative to other countries and since the market shrinked to less than 1/4 of PS2 days so PS4 just isn't bad. Sure man, in whatever alternative reality you are looking at.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

You really don't need japan to be successful. Take the 5 million away and PS4 is still great. X360 did great basically no Japanese sales. Maybe for a handheld or hydrid like Switch. But with mobile gaming. That'll decrease. Japan is a sorry console market and isn't important for sales

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

On a very odd reality you live then WiiU done good in Japan and PS4 bad because of the percentages relative to other countries and since the market shrinked to less than 1/4 of PS2 days so PS4 just isn't bad. Sure man, in whatever alternative reality you are looking at.

You dont make any sense, Wii U is worst selling Nintendo console ever, and that goes for Japan market also, percentages dont chanage that fact. And like I wrote, I dont think that PS4 sales in Japan are good, but I dont think they are bad either, IMO they are just OK, nothing more nothing less, while worldwide PS4 sales are crazy good.

Miyamotoo said:
Boutros said:

Maybe because the Japanese market is very different from every other market..

I don't know why people's standards should be the same.

PS4 sold 65m world wide and only 5m from those WW sales go to Japan market, and its selling on pair with worst seling Sony console in Japan, so I dont think thats good. But I think its good that PS4 come back because had terrible 1st year in Japan.

But agree, people have different standards.

Japan is a dead market when it comes to consoles.