By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 sells 5m in Japan!

Tagged games:

Faelco said:
kowenicki said:
Its matching PS3 which was considered very mediocre indeed after a horrible start and ridiculous starting price in Japan... and that's great? It isn't.

If you completely ignore everything about the Japanese video game market and its evolution, then yeah, you're right... 

Well people also ignore that PS4 was delayed in Japan and so creating a better start for the system. If Ps3 was delayed it would also have a better start and reach 5 million in less weeks. And then then we are not talking about PS3's price/less games etc.

Personally it is the Switch that shows the Japanese market is still living and it outsold the PS4 first year in less than 6 months, and it does it with not typical handheld games but with typical console games:

Edit: and oh yeah congrats to PS4,more JRPG's are welcome but I still miss the PS2 days with all those Shin Megami tensei games.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Kerotan said:
I don't think we see a ps5 before 2020 and personally see 9m as the minimum. It has a great shot at 10m+

I hope that we don't see a PS5 before then, but I'm not so confident about that.

PS4 only launched in 2014 in Japan and PS3 sold a fair bit after PS4 launch. When PS5 launches PS4 will be under $200 in Japan and possibly be $149. It will have the ability to keep selling after ps5 even better then ps3 did after ps4. And as usual PS4 will get most Japanese PS5 games for about 2 years as cross gen titles. It's not done when PS5 launches that's for sure. 

Regarding the date Sony are going to make megaton profits from ps4 in 2018 and 2019. GTAVI will probably launch for PS4 in 2019. They won't be launching the PS5 until holiday 2020 at the earliest. Possibly Spring 2021. Thanks to the PS4 Pro there won't be a need till then anyway. 

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

On a very odd reality you live then WiiU done good in Japan and PS4 bad because of the percentages relative to other countries and since the market shrinked to less than 1/4 of PS2 days so PS4 just isn't bad. Sure man, in whatever alternative reality you are looking at.

You dont make any sense, Wii U is worst selling Nintendo console ever, and that goes for Japan market also, percentages dont chanage that fact. And like I wrote, I dont think that PS4 sales in Japan are good, but I dont think they are bad either, IMO they are just OK, nothing more nothing less, while worldwide PS4 sales are crazy good.

this won't get anywhere... percentages and statistics only matter when you want.

Considering its competitors PS4 is doing good not just okay. Context changed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

What will you say when it beats it to 6/7/8m etc?  If you look at the graph ps4 stayed ahead despite ps3 having by far it's best period. It will now power on ahead of it and create a sizable lead.  What a beast.  The Wii U and XB1 both failed badly in Japan.  Kudos to ps4 for keeping the traditional home console market alive. 

I'll say the same.  The PS1 did 19m, PS2 23m and PS3 10.5m (i think).  I expect PS4 to fall short of 10m and so continue the downward trajectory.

Very possible not to reach 10m, but it is still not bad. Context of the market.

Like myamoto bringing that it is struggling to outsell "the failure" PS3... that is near 90M sales of failure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

konnichiwa said:
Faelco said:

If you completely ignore everything about the Japanese video game market and its evolution, then yeah, you're right... 

Well people also ignore that PS4 was delayed in Japan and so creating a better start for the system. If Ps3 was delayed it would also have a better start and reach 5 million in less weeks. And then then we are not talking about PS3's price/less games etc.

Personally it is the Switch that shows the Japanese market is still living and it outsold the PS4 first year in less than 6 months, and it does it with not typical handheld games but with typical console games:

Edit: and oh yeah congrats to PS4,more JRPG's are welcome but I still miss the PS2 days with all those Shin Megami tensei games.

You realize that the Switch is an hybrid especially to adapt to the current state of the Japanese market, right? It's not a home console because home consoles don't sell anymore here. You can't take it as an example and say "you see, home consoles still sell". 

And if you want the Switch to show that the Japanese market is still as lively as before, it would need to sell as much as at least 3DS+Wii U, or even better as much as DS+Wii. If it doesn't do that, then Nintendo will be losing ground in Japan with each generation, like Sony and MS. Not the best definition of a "living" market, more a "still surviving, but slowly dying" market. 

Around the Network

Congrats to the PS4! May the next 5 million go even quicker.

Kerotan said:
kowenicki said:
Its matching PS3 which was considered very mediocre indeed after a horrible start and ridiculous starting price in Japan... and that's great? It isn't.

What will you say when it beats it to 6/7/8m etc?  If you look at the graph ps4 stayed ahead despite ps3 having by far it's best period. It will now power on ahead of it and create a sizable lead.  What a beast.  The Wii U and XB1 both failed badly in Japan.  Kudos to ps4 for keeping the traditional home console market alive. 

Dayum dude, really? I get you're desperate to make the PS4 look like God's gift to man, but you don't have to bring the other consoles into this just because you can't stand it receiving any criticism...

The BuShA owns all!

konnichiwa said:
Faelco said:

The Switch is selling in Japan because it is a handheld. And handhelds are healthy in Japan (the only country that cares about handheld).

Vertigo-X said:

Kerotan said:

Dayum dude, really? I get you're desperate to make the PS4 look like God's gift to man, but you don't have to bring the other consoles into this just because you can't stand it receiving any criticism...

Why not? Other consoles are a good reference point to show how the PS4 is performing. And that comparison shows that the PS4 is the only console that has sold relatively well in Japan.

Lawlight said:
Vertigo-X said:

Why not? Other consoles are a good reference point to show how the PS4 is performing. And that comparison shows that the PS4 is the only console that has sold relatively well in Japan.

Apparently it's a sensitive subject bringing up the other consoles from the gen that failed. But as you said it's a good reference point hence why i mentioned it. 

Kerotan said:
Turkish said:
The most annoying thing about Japanese sales threads here and on gaf are the pessimists who never get tired of moaning week after week how bad the sales are. Japan has been declining like half a decade now, no need to shit on sales milestones you were ridiculing about not being possible. A few years ago the prevalent predictions were that PS4 would sell 5-6M tops in Japan.

Japanese home sales may never recover to Gen 5-6 levels and that's okay, as long as their devs make up for it with sales in Asia and the West, which they seem to be doing just that this gen.

Haha those were the days. When all the doom mongers thought ps4 wouldn't outsell vita or wii u. When they thought it couldn't even break 6m. It will be around 6M by years end alone lmao. 

kowenicki said:

I'll say the same.  The PS1 did 19m, PS2 23m and PS3 10.5m (i think).  I expect PS4 to fall short of 10m and so continue the downward trajectory.

Welcome back. Unfortunetly PS4 is tracking ahead of ps3 and it will extend it's lead by a lot this year and next. You should know by now to stop underestimating the PS4 :) 

Yes, but you also need to take in consideration that PS3 had very long life, PS4 will definitely get successor earlier than PS3 got successor, and PS4 is already around 3.5 years on Japanese market. It will be interesting to see if PS4 will hit 10m in any case.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

You dont make any sense, Wii U is worst selling Nintendo console ever, and that goes for Japan market also, percentages dont chanage that fact. And like I wrote, I dont think that PS4 sales in Japan are good, but I dont think they are bad either, IMO they are just OK, nothing more nothing less, while worldwide PS4 sales are crazy good.

this won't get anywhere... percentages and statistics only matter when you want.

Considering its competitors PS4 is doing good not just okay. Context changed.

Percentages and statistics always matter (more or less). In this case tells us how much PS4 is popular in Japan compared to other markets.

What competitors!? Biggest Nintendo faile and worst selling Nintendo console ever (world wide not just in Japan, that actualy had 1/4 of all sales in Japan), or Xbox that was always failure in Japan!? Switch was launched and recently already outsold hole 1st PS4 year in Japan. 

DonFerrari said:
kowenicki said:

Very possible not to reach 10m, but it is still not bad. Context of the market.

Like myamoto bringing that it is struggling to outsell "the failure" PS3... that is near 90M sales of failure.

I never said that PS3 is failure, just worst selling Sony console, and that's of course fact.