By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How the Xbox One X can have a real shot at success, despite the high price.

Azzanation said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes, but that depends on the customer. People are not going to come out like they are for the Switch for a $500 at console mid gen. Nintendo is offering something novel and creative that is scarce. This is something Microsoft would probably doesnt have the creativity to accomplish. The Switches first year titles are also of an extremely high quality compared to their competition and highly sought after. Microsoft has never created a new IP themselves that was highly sought after. Seriously.....like ever.

Forza?

Yes, last gen Forza did sell well last gen, but that was pretty much it though. It sells ok now. That rabbid early adopter base that jumped ship from the PS2 and bought 360 ate that up. I thought of Forza, but I dont really count racers....but truth is truth and it did sell well. Then again, Microsoft has always excelled at simulations. Outside of that...I cannot really think of anything. Got anymore?

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
vivster said:
They would need exclusives that are more popular than Sony's and Nintendo's IPs combined. Good luck with that.

Also, stop telling console makers to create exclusives. That's terrible!

Yeah i think its called Halo..

Hahaha, am I reading that right? Are you saying that Halo alone is more popular than Sony and Nintendo's IPs combined?

Azzanation said:
vivster said:
They would need exclusives that are more popular than Sony's and Nintendo's IPs combined. Good luck with that.

Also, stop telling console makers to create exclusives. That's terrible!

The last Halo couldn't even come close to PS3 remasters of Uncharted and TLOU let alone the latest Uncharted. How is that more popular than Sony and Nintendo combined?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Kyuu said:
SvennoJ said:
Erm, correction, Switch has 0.2 tflops in handheld mode, 0.4 tflops docked. XBox One X is a measly 15 to 30 times more powerful. Won't matter one bit!

0.2 tflops performance will look ridiculously small when the 12tflops~ PS5 arrives in 2020~. I wonder if Nintendo plans to launch their "10th generation" system close to Sony's "9th gen"

You can't directly compare them. AMD GPU's suck with flops with Open GL where Nvida gets a lot more out of it and using Vulkan. Well Switch is fine.

vivster said:
Azzanation said:

The last Halo couldn't even come close to PS3 remasters of Uncharted and TLOU let alone the latest Uncharted. How is that more popular than Sony and Nintendo combined?

I'm pretty sure holiday bundles may have to do with some of those.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
vivster said:

Fact is that Halo is obviously not moving X1s, so there is no reason to believe that it would move XBOXs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

darkenergy said:
vivster said:

And Xbox Consoles ship with digital codes while many PS4 bundles ship with physical discs ****

Twitter @CyberMalistix

StarDoor said:
Azzanation said:

Hahaha, am I reading that right? Are you saying that Halo alone is more popular than Sony and Nintendo's IPs combined?

Fair from what your thinking.

vivster said:
Azzanation said:

Didnt Halo 5 and UC4 sit on rougly the same amount of sales at 4m until Sony heavily bundled the crap out of the game on just about every bundle available for the Xmas period. While Halo 5 being one of the least favorite in the franchise still manage to sell 5m to date. That to me says enough.

SegataSanshiro said:

Remember when PlayStation 2 failed because the hardware was weaker than Gamecube and Xbox? Remember when Wii never outsold the HD consoles? Oh that's right they were the best selling systems of their generation. My bad. I thought is all that mattered...gee... Oh and Switch is $300 not $400.

* The Playstation 2 wasn't the weakest console that generation. The Dreamcast was.

* The Playstation 4 was also the strongest console of this generation out of the gate and is dominating.

* SNES was superior to Genesis.

Power or lack-there-of isn't a prerequisite to a consoles success, having the right hardware at the right price is.

The Xbox 360 for instance is a perfect example of that they had the right performing hardware at the right price, the Playstation 3 wasn't pushing graphics that were generationally superior, heck allot of multiplats were worst on it! And it was priced significantly higher.
Having the right games also helps, the Xbox was being pushed by Halo at the time. (That era has passed.)

niceguygameplayer said:
SvennoJ said:
Erm, correction, Switch has 0.2 tflops in handheld mode, 0.4 tflops docked. XBox One X is a measly 15 to 30 times more powerful. Won't matter one bit!

I don't know where you got your information, but Switch is the first Nintendo system to reach a teraflops. In comparison, the PS4 has 1.8 teraflops. 

The Switch does not reach a Teraflop of single precision floating point. Please do not spread false information.

NATO said:
The "success" of the ps4 pro should have been a wake up call.

I think there is a small subset of users who think the Xbox One X will be some insane seller, it won't be.
The Playstation 4 Pro set the precedent of what to expect.

HoloDust said:
niceguygameplayer said:

I don't know where you got your information, but Switch is the first Nintendo system to reach a teraflops. In comparison, the PS4 has 1.8 teraflops. 

He got it where all other people that are even remotely following tech have...on various tech sites.

Switch is powered by Tegra X1, a 256:16:16 GPU (if you know what that means) running at 768Mhz docked and 307.2MHz handheld (which translates into 0.39 TFLOPS and 0.16TFLOPS, FP32) or when boosted 921MHz docked and 384MHz handheld (0.47TFLOPS and 0.2TFLOPS, FP32).

What you're thinking of is FP16 performance, and when docked, in boost mode Switch can deliver 0.94 TFLOPS....XOneX can deliver 12TFLOPS FP16.

EDIT: Actually scrap that, there's no boost mode (so far) in docked mode, that was only tested, but not implemented. So 0.78TFLOPS FP16 in docked mode.

To calculate the magical flops... It is...
Shader count * Instructions per clock * Clock Rate.
Ergo. 256 * 2 * 768 = 393 Gflop.
For fixed-math modes where two FP16 operations are done on the FP32 unit, then you just double it again. Or. 786 Gflop.

However, FP16 comes with caveats, it cannot be used for everything as it's precision is inadequate for allot of tasks... And with that, flops isn't an accurate representation for comparing the performance capabilities of different chips anyway.

You can have a chip with less flops outperform a chip with more flops.

niceguygameplayer said:

The most powerful console won in the 4th generation, the SNES over Sega Genesis.

The Genesis did have a superior CPU. However... It's GPU and Sound capabilities did come up short against the SNES. Both consoles used "add-ons" to bolster their respective power later such as the SuperFX chip on the SNES.

Regardless, the proof is in the pudding... Er games.

niceguygameplayer said:

In the 5th, the CD technology of the PlayStation destroyed the N64, and also it had better polygon performance that bested the Saturn's. It won the 5th and was most powerful. And no N64 was not the most powerful.

The textures were stretched and blurred, plus the cinema scenes were near impossible with cartridge tech and Nintendo lost Final Fantasy due to the cartridge tech.

The Nintendo 64 was the most powerful console that generation. This isn't even up for dispute. So please do not spread mis-information.

The physical media is actually technically superior on the Nintendo 64 as it had higher transfer rates and lower access times, the PS1's physical media had the advantage of capacity. That's it.

As for Polygonal performance... When Nintendo allowed developers to make their own Microcode, it was a polygon pusher.

It also had texture filtering, anti-aliasing, 480P resolutions, full Texture and Lighting, it was an effects powerhouse.

Again, the evidence is in the games. Perfect Dark obliterates anything on the Playstation 1 or Saturn graphically... And that isn't even the best looking Nintendo 64 game.

niceguygameplayer said:

PS4 is the most powerful of the 8th generation (until Xbox One X). It has been winning pretty much all along partially due to hitting 1080p vs 900p for Xbox One. People like the idea of having the best version of a game. As you can see you are clearly wrong. Power can help win generations.

The Playstation 4 has games that are sub 1080P. It just happens far far far less often than the Xbox One.

What is ultimately important is the right hardware for the right price, the Playstation 4 smashed that out of the park.

niceguygameplayer said:

Also, Xbox One X is the biggest leap in one generation, ever. This is a bigger leap than PS2 and the original Xbox.

The Original Xbox had a myriad of new graphics effects that the Playstation 2 couldn't even dream about... Like fully compliant DX Pixel and Vertex shading.
The feature set of the Xbox One X isn't generationally different to that of the base Xbox One.

The Original Xbox was pushing graphics that was able to compete with early Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 games. In-fact a few early Xbox 360 games like Kameo and Perfect Dark: Zero was slated as original Xbox titles at one point.

niceguygameplayer said:

Please do the research before blasting me in the future.

*Chokes*

SegataSanshiro said:

Jaguar,3D0,Neo Geo AES,CDi all more powerful than SNES from the same generation of consoles.

Most don't include them in comparisons as they were never really mainstream consoles. It really depends how far you wish to push the goal posts I guess.

Azzanation said:

Sadly, Halo is in decline. Sales have been in decline since reaching it's height with Halo 3... The Master Chief Collection was a massive failure, absolutely terrible game.

Halo 5 released bare-bones, graphically sub-par of what to expect this generation... And it's singleplayer left much to be desired.

Halo Wars 2 never reached the same heights as Halo Wars 1... And Halo Wars 2+Halo Wars Definitive Edition have a non-existent multiplayer base, making matchmaking useless. (In oceania at least.)

Plus, Spartan Strike never made it to Xbox either, which is sad, the only Halo never to do so.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst with Halo 6 to be honest. Hopefully they give it the appropriate degree of development and budget to make it shine on the Xbox One X... Microsoft needs the success.

SegataSanshiro said:

You can't directly compare them. AMD GPU's suck with flops with Open GL where Nvida gets a lot more out of it and using Vulkan. Well Switch is fine.

A flop is a flop. They are neither better or worst.

The reason for the performance discrepancy is simple. There is more to rendering a game than flops. Funny that, huh?

In compute-only tasks, AMD actually does well, it's just their GPU's in general right now are shit for gaming.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

HoloDust said:
niceguygameplayer said:

He got it where all other people that are even remotely following tech have...on various tech sites.

Switch is powered by Tegra X1, a 256:16:16 GPU (if you know what that means) running at 768Mhz docked and 307.2MHz handheld (which translates into 0.39 TFLOPS and 0.16TFLOPS, FP32) or when boosted 921MHz docked and 384MHz handheld (0.47TFLOPS and 0.2TFLOPS, FP32).

What you're thinking of is FP16 performance, and when docked, in boost mode Switch can deliver 0.94 TFLOPS....XOneX can deliver 12TFLOPS FP16.

EDIT: Actually scrap that, there's no boost mode (so far) in docked mode, that was only tested, but not implemented. So 0.78TFLOPS FP16 in docked mode.

The XxX only has 6 FP16 TFLOPS.
The PS4 Pro has 8.4 FP16 TFLOPS. 
Microsoft don't have rapid packed math in their GPU.