By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did you buy your PS3 for Blu Ray, Games, or both?

madskillz was just saying that 40 percent of ps3 owners buy ps3's for blu ray movies.this wouldnt make sense, because not a whole lot of people have hdtv's, so why would they get blu ray movies? i know that i bought my ps3 for the games, and MAYBE i will pick up 4 or 5 blu ray movies thourghout this year, when i get an hdtv in my room.

Around the Network

I bought mine for the games, Blu-ray was just a bonus.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Both, but the only reason I got a HDTV is because of my PS3 ;P

i would like to use it for blu-ray, but the prices are emotional.

I bought it for blu-ray at first. Then I started to buy games, and that is the main thing I use it for now. I barely use blu-ray , because hd-dvds became really cheap since it died. So at first it was for blu-ray now it's for games. Pretty soon it will be for both.

Around the Network

i disagree with that 40% too. that would be claiming that over 40% of ps3 users have hdtv's, which is highly unlikely.

Bit pointless asking a gaming forum if they use there PS3 for games or Blu Ray but anyway.

I use it for games.

I thought Madskillz said 30% not 40%? Oh well, still a ridiculous number. He keeps going on about attach rates, when he hasn't even looked at the attach rates himself.

tombi123

i just wanted to ask everyone if they got it for movies or games to prove madskillz wron g

I bought my first PS3 in December 2006 for the games, well, future games.
I bought my second PS3 in February, so the rest of the family could enjoy PS3 and PS2 games.

So its for the games. Blu-ray is a great added feature now since I bought an HDTV last July. Can't wait until we get a 1080p set for the den.

If you want to prove Madskillz wrong, it is very simple. Just show him the attach rates. 

PS3 LTD: 11.42M Software sold last week: 1.34M, 1.34/11.42=0.118 or 1 in 8.4 gamers bought a game for there PS3 last week.

360 LTD: 17.98M Software sold last week: 1.54M, 1.54/17.98=0.0857 or 1 in 11.7 gamers bought a game for there 360 last week.

The PS3 has a better attach rate, this is because of the smaller user base and GT5:P release in Europe skewing the results in favour of the PS3 a bit. Conclusion, people buy the PS3 for the games just as much as people buy the 360 for the games.