By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did you buy your PS3 for Blu Ray, Games, or both?

I bought my ps3 for games...I have 24 ps3 games excluding psn games. (Around 28 w/PSN games)
However, I have over 100 blu-rays now too. It's an added bonus I didn't even care about when I first bought my ps3.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network
iclim4 said:
both aswell.
40%? not even including the standalones?
If he is right, Blu-ray is well on it's way to become mainstream then. moreso than I expected.

@SlorgNet
I love turning on photoalbum with pictures from my family and friend vacations
with good mellow music playing in the background.
It's quite a nostalgic and relaxing experience.

He's not right.  He likes to flip flop.  One day the burned HD DVD fanboy in him comes out, and he says stuff like "Blu-Ray will never become mainstream.  Downloads are the future!"  The next day the 360 fanboy in him comes out saying "PS3 sells no software, it's only used for Blu-Ray."

I got it for both and...

For a media player,
Because it can install Linux
The Cell (With Linux and a free SDK, I wanted to program for it)
Because I can put a standard Hard Drive in it
HDMI (at the time, the 360 did not have this, and my TV did)
PS2 compatibility
Wi-Fi built in

What I don't get is why it's a bad thing to buy a piece of consumer electronics for other reasons then games. I think the more reasons to own one, the better purchase your making.

I bought my Wii for WiiFit, and I bought my 360 for the media player (I had a media extender that cost $199 alone. The 360 was a cheap second unit for my other room)

Currently, I have no blu ray movies at all. I bought the system for the games. Yes, the games.

bought mine for gaming, blueray is the best added bonus you could want

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Bought my PS3 because;

I don't like the style of the Wii.
Graphics matter A LOT to me.
I wanted a reliable machine.

MGS4!

I got my PS3 for games, but then I started to use blu-ray. I have 10 games and 33 blu-ray discs.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

I bought it for both, and most people I know also bought it for both, it's one of the reasons the PS3 is more valuable than other consoles.

I bought mine for PS2 BC. There were some games that I was interested in too. I only own 1 blu ray movie, but I do rent them at times.

I bought mine for games, but to get my dad to lend me the remainder £150 I sold him the idea of Blu-ray