By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japan's Nintendo Switch Lines Are Hell 

malistix1985 said:
They need to get the switches in the hands of gamers as soon as possible, more hardware sold more software sold more games developed, good stuff.

Its hard to imagine the switch being that hard to get its in stock in in 11 stores just checking my lists in my country right now (The Netherlands) especially the splatoon bundle is available for € 374.00- € 379.00 in most stores.

mate- not to be a jerk but... you live in the Netherlands. Realize for a moment that A) the biggest markets for Nintendo are North America and Japan, and B) that big cities in North America or Japan are going to have a kajillion more people trying to buy the thing

it's cute and all when someone's like "omgggg there's a few at my Walmart in Ohio, omggg there's like 10 at my local store in Sweden", but in practicality how does that have any sway on someone across an ocean? it doesn't. 

I'm sure in somewhere like South Africa there's a store with 20 of them sitting there. But that's sort of irrelevant to the 300 people waiting in line at that one Japan store

by the way- insane picture, I don't recall a product quite in that demand (even in Japan) in a while. Strange to see like 500 people waiting in line if there's like 5 Switches available. Hopefully Nintendo was being genuine when they recently stated they've made moves to improve manufacturing speed 

EDIT: the article claims 3000 people got in line to be part of a ticket raffle offering up 250 Switches for sale. That is just insane. 3000 people 

Around the Network
maxleresistant said:

And don't expect those Switch stock problems to be resolved in 2017.

You didn't hear it from me, but the Snes mini may have been fast tracked to this year because of the switch stock problems.

doubtful, for the SNES mini to be clearly done, have it's packaging finished, etc.- all by the middle of 2017 (if not earlier), it suggests they had the idea to release it in 2017 in the pipeline quite a bit ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was being somewhat genuine about their holiday NES Classic strict plans. They may have originally had a couple year domino strategy of doing 'classic' holiday releases to build hype. NES Classic 2016, SNES Classic 2017, N64 Classic 2018 (?), with an overall initiative and goal to build on nostalgic reminder on the market to potentially push more people to eventually buy stuff on the E shop. 

At least that's what I guess the tactic is for. Otherwise I don't think they would do temporary holiday releases of these 'classic' systems. It has to be a move to maintain focus on their nostalgic games in buildup for another E shop/ Virtual console system 

Damn, lining up just to have a slim chance at buying one. Atleast here in America you can reliably find a Switch with some effort.

-Lonely_Dolphin

Kuksenkov said:
Apple you penis blockers!!

Seriously, only Microsoft could get preferential treatment over Apple if they were to compete over components of their products.

I remember lining up on a much smaller line for a concert (about 60 people in front of me, I suppose) and it was awful. It even began raining...

Will it be bad for Apple if the next iPhone exceeds sales expectations?  Because then apple will be demanding even more parts.  So will Nintendo be hoping it underperforms? 

They should start sending switches to Japan exclusively. I'm sure they could sell 127 million of them in Japan alone.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Cant be that bad, probably a lot of MonHun and Pokemon to be played in those lines.

Yeah, just bust out your Switch and.......oh

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

I wonder if Capcom is a experiencing a touch of regret about excluding Nintendo's platform from the next Monster Hunter...

Johnw1104 said:
I wonder if Capcom is a experiencing a touch of regret about excluding Nintendo's platform from the next Monster Hunter...

It was stupid in general. MH really only sells well on handhelds.

Watch as MHXX switch outsells MH world when XX stays in japan lol.

VideoGameAccountant said:
ktay95 said:
Cant be that bad, probably a lot of MonHun and Pokemon to be played in those lines.

Yeah, just bust out your Switch and.......oh

Oh lol xD I can see that happening 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

trent44 said:
maxleresistant said:

It's not my personal theory, it's from my source working at Nintendo. He also told me that the biggest production problems are actually the joycons.

We had a discussion about the Switch stocks problems, and the Snes mini, both of us were surprised that the Snes mini was released this year, because he told me a few months back that the NES mini was actually made to fill the void for christmas 2016, with the WiiU getting axed, and the Switch being late, they needed  something to sell for the christmas period. But was not supposed to be the start of a new retro gaming strategy for Nintendo, Nintendo wants to sell 3DS and Switch units, and not NES mini, so that's why they made it a limited product and never produced more. 

But knowing that, why would they make an SNES mini right after? So his theory is that it's because the Switch won't have enough stocks for the holidays.

Is the Joycon the supply constraint????

They are still shipping Joycon as standalone without the console.

And, getting more consoles in consumer's hands right now is a bigger priority, as it will directly effect software sales, install base, developer support, profits, momentum for this entire Gen for Nintendo, etc.

If it is only the Joycon, it seems very unlikely they would continue to ship much at all as standalone, since that is not that important by comparison to the company.

The NAND constriant has more plausibility in my understanding.

I'm telling you what he told me. The fact that the joycons are sold separately doesn't change the fact that they could be the problems. They are not going to stop to sell them separately, they need to sell them separately, so they actually need to produce more of them than the "tablet", so that means that it is even harder. So it makes sense to me.