By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best explanation why Zelda BotW is great

Kai_Mao said:
Jumpin said:
I hit 100 hours this weekend, one of the very few games I have done that with in my 30+ years of gaming.

This is the Zelda game I've wanted since 3D became a possibility for the franchise, since before Ocarina of Time was announced. Many Zelda fans dreamed of sitting on top of mount doom and looking over the vast Kingdom of Hyrule; this is the first game that succeeded in doing it, and on such a grand scale that it is beyond our dreams.

After about 10 hours of play, I figured this could be the greatest game I have ever played. After a few months and 100+ hours, I am absolutely certain of it.

I personally had a twelve hour session with BoTW once during my over 100 total hours. I rarely do that due to priorities and such throughout my gaming life but I became so invested in BoTW that I didn't want to stop exploring and finding new things along the way. Whatever I see interesting I was determined to get there. I don't think I've invested in such hours in one session since Pokémon in my earlier years when I had more time. I was lucky I didn't need to do anything else at the time, but otherwise, it was special because I never felt so engaged and invested in a game that i didn't even realized I played that long at once. I was just happy to enjoy playing a video game without worry.

Despite my criticism on some of the game mechanics, BotW is one of the very few games that have entertained me for more than 150 hours. (170 to be exact) Thanks to the evil genius that is the Switch I was playing it 6 hours a day thanks to handheld mode. I hate playing on handhelds!

Other games that have managed that level of play time dedication (not counting level/map editing) from me are Civilization, Everquest, WoW, GT5 and Elite Dangerous. A great achievement for a game that has no online to keep you going.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
FallingTitan said:
It is a great game no doubt. I personally hated it as a huge zelda fan. Didn't feel like zelda to me. felt like a boring witcher 3 copy but done alot worse.

after i finished the 2nd devine beast i put it on kijiji.

Hopefully nintendo makes a traditional style zelda with long big dungeons like the old linear style to please the old school zelda fans.

Ahh all this zelda talk is making me nostalgic. Time to re-read my Hyrule Historia book to relive the glory days!

Lol I'm pretty sure the "old school Zelda fans" are a lot more pleased with this than they ever were with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or (definitely) Skyward Sword.

Also the "glory days" are right now, this is the best received Zelda ever and it will be the best-selling one too.

you know what I actually enjoyed Skyward Sword

TheLastStarFighter said:
FallingTitan said:
It is a great game no doubt. I personally hated it as a huge zelda fan. Didn't feel like zelda to me. felt like a boring witcher 3 copy but done alot worse.

after i finished the 2nd devine beast i put it on kijiji.

Hopefully nintendo makes a traditional style zelda with long big dungeons like the old linear style to please the old school zelda fans.

Ahh all this zelda talk is making me nostalgic. Time to re-read my Hyrule Historia book to relive the glory days!

You're not an old-school fan.  If you were, you would love it for being a modern take on The Legend of Zelda.  You're a newer fan, and long for the linear games of the OoT period.  As a true old-school fan, I enjoyed those games but always longed for the open experience of the first game.  I don't know if I Z-targeted through 100 hours of gameplay, and I couldn't be happier.

well I'm not really a newer fan since I'm pretty old and have played and beat every Zeldaexcept breath of the wild of course

Super_Boom said:
JakDaSnack said:
I just hope that with the success of BOTW, we will start to see other open world games go open air(Make everything climbable).

This was my biggest takeaway from the game. The verticality of the game was amazing...it feels disappointing playing exploration-based games and not being able to climb or glide wherever I want now. Or really any game...just the other day I was playing The Division with a friend was annoyed that I had to actually go inside a building to climb to the top.

*sighs*

I, too, am annoyed at the fact that I can't climb the walls of my house and sneak in through a window; or just set some grass in the park nearby on fire and catch an updraft with a cloth sail.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Skyward Sword is a great game, but it clearly showed signs of the core formula starting to show its age and stagnate.

A revamp was needed in order to keep the series fresh and relevant, and thankfully Botw delivers exactly that.

Around the Network
Pagan said:
Ka-pi96 said:
If it takes 18 mins then it's not even a good explanation, let alone the best one...

He have to make comparisons with other games like Horizon. 

Back when i was a student the explanations where always long. Dont remember any intelligent person who have done an explantion for a matter in a few seconds. I am sure you want it like trump. The whole Intelligence report for the whole world on one page with pictures ? That is what you need. Sorry he cant do that. There are podcasts and monologs about games which are longer than one hour just for one game. I dont understand you. Sorry. 

+1

mZuzek said:
FallingTitan said:

you know what I actually enjoyed Skyward Sword

Me too, actually I loved it. It is no secret, however, that a big chunk of Zelda fans don't feel that way.

yeah thats true! 

curl-6 said:

Skyward Sword is a great game, but it clearly showed signs of the core formula starting to show its age and stagnate.

A revamp was needed in order to keep the series fresh and relevant, and thankfully Botw delivers exactly that.

I do appreicate what botw did to the gaming world but for me personally I didnt feel like I was zelda-ing and boy did it make me feel sad.

all my buddies know im the "Zelda guy" so when they see me they are like, "omg did you play it yet? you love it right?" etc etc... 

and i just look sad and say, "no i hate it...whats wrong with me????"  

so there you have it. i dunno maybe i out grew the series who knows. all i know is i didnt like it at all. wasnt having fun during play.

I know im in the minority as i was with skyward sword.  But just for reference:

my fav zeldas top 4. 1. link to past. 2. link between worlds 3. OoT 4. majoras

And the most interesting thing of all is I loved witcher 3 and think its a masterpiece which some ppl compare botw to.

FallingTitan said:
curl-6 said:

I do appreicate what botw did to the gaming world but for me personally I didnt feel like I was zelda-ing and boy did it make me feel sad.

all my buddies know im the "Zelda guy" so when they see me they are like, "omg did you play it yet? you love it right?" etc etc... 

so there you have it. i dunno maybe i out grew the series who knows. all i know is i didnt like it at all. wasnt having fun during play.

And the most interesting thing of all is I loved witcher 3 and think its a masterpiece which some ppl compare botw to.

So were you amongst us that thought WTF is this when playing Zelda II ?  I really didn't like that game until I got it for VC on the WiiU and started playing it a second time.

mZuzek said:
FallingTitan said:

Well in my opinion Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild are the two best Zelda games and I wouldn't even say it's debatable. Just goes to show how different people's minds can be.

YES!