By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild rises to #1 selling game this year

You don't need to buy additional storage to buy Zelda digitally, either on Switch or Wii U.

It fills less than half the internal memory of either.

Around the Network
tripenfall said:
PigPen said:

Who buys a Switch and no SanDisk Card? I'm sure almost everyone have one.

I don't have one and the 3 people I know with a Switch don't have them either. Yes we bought the game on a physical release and yes one day with enough EShop games I'll probably need one but to say most people would buy one with the console isn't right IMO. 

That's too weird is creepy.

Horizon numbers are impressive considering.. Zelda an well established franchise with a huge fan base releasing as a launch game to the most hyped up and touted as "nintented comback" hardware.

and people saying horizon sales are not impressive as it had a user base of 55+.. to them i would ask what was sales figure for skyward sword released on 95m user base of wii in 2011???

But anyways unlike Switch with just zelda at launch PS4 had so many exclusive released in the first 6 months and all of them were fighting for gamers money.. Even i had to make a choice as i could only afford 3 games so i had to choose persona 5 was already locked.. Horizon, it was between nioh and Neir but crash made a surprise entry.

bananaking21 said:
It's fantastic when people use unofficial and inaccurate numbers to drive a point even though official numbers are readily available.

Ghost recon and For Honor say hi.

This.

I hope it hits 10 million. I'm still surprised that not one Zelda title has made it.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
bananaking21 said:
It's fantastic when people use unofficial and inaccurate numbers to drive a point even though official numbers are readily available.

I get that VGC numbers arent that accurate, but they do give a general idea of how it is doing.Pressing that button non stop about "Dont use VGC numbers because they are not 100% accurate" when you are on VGC is tiring.

Unless you have actuall official worldwide numbers for the games displayed here, there is no need to push this narrative.

Just out of curiosity:Where are the official numbers for For Honor and Ghost Recon worldwide?Dont remember seeing them

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374954&page=1

they dont give out specific sales data, but they flat out say that GR is the best selling game of the year and For Honor is the second best selling. 

@bolded: to me that literally sounded like "pressing that button non stop about using logical and factual data on VGC when we have inaccurate data that has proven time and time again that it is unreliable is getting tiring". 

just because we are on VGC doesnt mean their numbers mean anything. they have proven time and time again to be wrong, how they are calculated is wrong, and how they are gathered is wrong. they arent estimates as much as they are guesses, and recently they arent even educated guesses, just guesses. 

Flilix said:
bananaking21 said:

Do you seriously believe that VGChartz has For Honor undertracked by more than a million?

dont care about what VGC has For Honor at. what matters are the official data where it was the second best selling game of the year after Ghost Recon Wild Lands.

Mnementh said:
bananaking21 said:

Ubisoft told numbers? Where?

And this included Windows, right?

they didnt give out specific numbers. but GR Wild Lands is the best selling game of the year, followed by For Honor. 

Slownenberg said:
guiduc said:

Well Kero, Zelda games have never been juggernauts in terms of commercial reception, rather than critical one. This might be the first evergreen Zelda title since... Ocarina of Time maybe?

Yeah What guiduc said is true. Zelda games sell very well but sales wise its not one of Nintendo's monster IPs. Also HZD isn't really challenging Zelda in sales either. It came out on an install base of over 55 million, while Zelda came out on an install base of 0. So yeah HZD had a much bigger launch but Zelda's legs quickly surpassed HZD and even including digital sales, by the end of the year just the Switch version of Zelda will probably have like a million more sales than HZD, and then of course that gap will only increase in the coming years. Their sales were competitive for a few months due to Zelda being a launch game, that's the only reason (of course being the only huge game at launch also helps Zelda early sales).

PS4 owners have a ton of games to choose from though, It's not like it's the only game worth buying on the console, unlike Zelda on Switch.

PS4 install base is huge and they inevitably have very diverse tastes, while only people who have a switch right now are the Zelda fans as that's the only worthwhile game on the console.

NawaiNey said:
Slownenberg said:

Yeah What guiduc said is true. Zelda games sell very well but sales wise its not one of Nintendo's monster IPs. Also HZD isn't really challenging Zelda in sales either. It came out on an install base of over 55 million, while Zelda came out on an install base of 0. So yeah HZD had a much bigger launch but Zelda's legs quickly surpassed HZD and even including digital sales, by the end of the year just the Switch version of Zelda will probably have like a million more sales than HZD, and then of course that gap will only increase in the coming years. Their sales were competitive for a few months due to Zelda being a launch game, that's the only reason (of course being the only huge game at launch also helps Zelda early sales).

PS4 owners have a ton of games to choose from though, It's not like it's the only game worth buying on the console, unlike Zelda on Switch.

PS4 install base is huge and they inevitably have very diverse tastes, while only people who have a switch right now are the Zelda fans as that's the only worthwhile game on the console.

BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT EVERY TIME!!

To dismiss the small but pretty good catalog of titles available on Switch is stupid.

Disgaea, ARMS, FAST RMX, I Am Setsuna, Shantae, Mario Kart, The Binding of Isaac, etc. Those are all pretty decent games that fill in for different genres. It also seems like developers are making money out of their titles on Switch: Snipperclips, Kamiko, FAST RMX, Disgaea; they're all selling pretty well and their developers/publishers/whatever have been vocal about it. 

If you're going to make up excuses as to why Zelda has sold pretty well and Horizon hasn't set the world on fire like the fanboys wanted, at least put some effort into it.

bananaking21 said:
Mnementh said:

Ubisoft told numbers? Where?

And this included Windows, right?

they didnt give out specific numbers. but GR Wild Lands is the best selling game of the year, followed by For Honor. 

OK, yes, Ubisoft includes PC-sales. Thanks for the link, although the real source is this (given in the NeoGAF-link):

https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/comsite_common/en-US/images/UbisoftFY17earningsEngfinal_tcm99-290721_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

The interesting parts:

"Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Wildlands, the industry’s best-selling3 game since the beginning of the year: the Ghost Recon community grew approximately 60%"

"For Honor® – the industry’s second best-selling game3"

"3Physical & digital sales of games, Jan-March 2017 – consoles/PC – EMEA/US/Japan/Australia (GfK/NPD/Famitsu/in-house estimates)"

As you can see PC is included (and why would Ubi leave that out). VGC only tracks properly consoles, so this thread based on that includes only that. That's not to diminish the feat Ubi did with those two games, I only state the facts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

NawaiNey said:
Slownenberg said:

But also consider people investing in a $300 new console for Zelda. It's also on Wii U so why did more people opt to buy a Switch, an entirely new console, for Zelda? Then you have other games like Snipperclips, ARMS, Splatoon 2 (which is a dominating force in Japan right now along with DQXI, even out preordering the PS4 version), Mario Odyssey (one of the biggest games that stood out at E3), FE Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for this entire first year in terms of first party. Not to mention enhanced ports of Mario Kart 8 and Pokken. Kinda like TLoU Remastered, God of War 3 Remastered and others on the PS4 right? Of course you have the future with Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and, one of the empires of the industry, Pokémon. At least look at the lineup for this first year before mentioning that last sentence. It's not just Zelda fans like you assume.