By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YES! MGS4 more similar to MGS2 than to MGS3!

woot.

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
iclim4 said:
billy07 said:

MGS3 story sucked because it was too straightforward. One major twist at the end. The rest was simply "go here, then go there" not enough twists or revelations. There also wasn't enough trademark philosophy like at the end of MGS1 and MGS2. The Cobra's had no backtory at all. And the game made you feel sorry for a patriot (The boss), and patriots are utterly pathetic in my book so I really couldn't sympathise.

Granted, I guess it's just personal preference.

And most people here don't like codecs?
I liked that feature. Conversation changes depeding on what you do in the game.
It makes me feel like I'm doing something to change the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K--YiJma6xI

Here's one of snakes best codec conversations. ^_^

I don't have a problem with codecs in general. I just didn't like how large of a role they played in MGS2's storyline and that you're watching important conversations for a long time. Background information and humor is awesome in MGS1, 2, and 3. However, when MGS2 had all of these characters talking to you in pretty long codec sequences throughout the entire game.... I would get a little bored.

Yes, the codec stuff in MGS3 like that cardboard box video are great. I especially love the 'how does it taste' arguments between Para-medic and Snake.

My favorite was the codec conversations during battle... Serious WTF going on during those moments.

I can just imagine Raiden:

*pauses*

Hold on, gotta take this call.

*sheathes sword*

Yeah, this is Raiden. How can I help you? Yes, I have a minute. No problem, I'll hold.

*raises finger in "hold on for a minute" gesture*

... Ten minutes later, battle resumes.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

billy07 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
iclim4 said:
billy07 said:

MGS3 story sucked because it was too straightforward. One major twist at the end. The rest was simply "go here, then go there" not enough twists or revelations. There also wasn't enough trademark philosophy like at the end of MGS1 and MGS2. The Cobra's had no backtory at all. And the game made you feel sorry for a patriot (The boss), and patriots are utterly pathetic in my book so I really couldn't sympathise.

Granted, I guess it's just personal preference.

And most people here don't like codecs?
I liked that feature. Conversation changes depeding on what you do in the game.
It makes me feel like I'm doing something to change the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K--YiJma6xI

Here's one of snakes best codec conversations. ^_^

I don't have a problem with codecs in general. I just didn't like how large of a role they played in MGS2's storyline and that you're watching important conversations for a long time. Background information and humor is awesome in MGS1, 2, and 3. However, when MGS2 had all of these characters talking to you in pretty long codec sequences throughout the entire game.... I would get a little bored.

Yes, the codec stuff in MGS3 like that cardboard box video are great. I especially love the 'how does it taste' arguments between Para-medic and Snake.

MGS3 had way too many funny codec convo's and not enough serious ones. The lack of balance ruined it for me.

With me, I felt the balance of funny codec conversations was offset by the serious cut-scenes and the optional funny codec conversations were the comic relief to watching Snake's arm being broken, losing an eye, ect.

___

@Rocketpig,

"What... no... I didn't order any pizza. I don't care if it was from this frequency, I didn't make the order. *pause* It's a radio inside of my ear acting with the tiny nanomachines inside of my body. How the HELL could somebody else have placed that order?!"

Even compared to strongly story-based genres like JRPG's, MGS2 took some risks and I respect that. It caused the game to alienate some people, but I think it really showed developers that they could do something like that and still sell a lot of copies of their game. MGS2 helped move video games further towards artistic respectability. It may be a little self-indulgent at times, but even after playing through the game again I really respect what Kojima did.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Even compared to strongly story-based genres like JRPG's, MGS2 took some risks and I respect that. It caused the game to alienate some people, but I think it really showed developers that they could do something like that and still sell a lot of copies of their game. MGS2 helped move video games further towards artistic respectability. It may be a little self-indulgent at times, but even after playing through the game again I really respect what Kojima did.

I believe that there was also a LOT of hype with MGS2 as well. Sort of like Halo 3 beta keys with Crackdown, Zone of Enders was packaged with the MGS2 demo if I remember correctly. 

Around the Network

No, you are definitely right about the hype, but I think the game lived up to its potential and in many ways surpassed it. It is largely because of MGS2 that so many people want to play MGS4 just to see what happens.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Personally, I think MGS4 is going to blow everything Kojima has previously done out of the water. MGS was a superb game, but it had two big problems. (1) A storyline which didn't know when to quit -- too many conspiracies, double and triple crosses, characters pulling off a mask to reveal they were someone else, and (2) characters which were still too close to war movie stereotypes (example: the horrible sexist lines about Meryl's rear end).

MGS2 had tremendous aspirations as a game, but never came close to realizing them. It's one long codec conversation, interspersed with occasionally brilliant, occasionally frustrating gameplay, and the characters are just not developed enough for us to truly care about them.

MGS3 was a highwater mark, because it had the right balance of powerful, multidimensional characters and thrilling gameplay. MGS3 also had some of the finest writing, voice acting, and plot twists of any media work ever created - we're talking the quality level of a Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

MGS4 clearly has fantastic gameplay, and the tiny bit we know of the plot is already enough to make the mind reel. June 12th can't come too soon.

rocketpig said:

My favorite was the codec conversations during battle... Serious WTF going on during those moments.

I can just imagine Raiden:

*pauses*

Hold on, gotta take this call.

*sheathes sword*

Yeah, this is Raiden. How can I help you? Yes, I have a minute. No problem, I'll hold.

*raises finger in "hold on for a minute" gesture*

... Ten minutes later, battle resumes.

Dude, he was fighting invisible ninjas while you were talking on the Codec.  Its like having a hands free setup in your car for your cellphone.  You can hit pedestrians and drive at the same time!

SlorgNet said:
Personally, I think MGS4 is going to blow everything Kojima has previously done out of the water. MGS was a superb game, but it had two big problems. (1) A storyline which didn't know when to quit -- too many conspiracies, double and triple crosses, characters pulling off a mask to reveal they were someone else, and (2) characters which were still too close to war movie stereotypes (example: the horrible sexist lines about Meryl's rear end).

MGS2 had tremendous aspirations as a game, but never came close to realizing them. It's one long codec conversation, interspersed with occasionally brilliant, occasionally frustrating gameplay, and the characters are just not developed enough for us to truly care about them.

MGS3 was a highwater mark, because it had the right balance of powerful, multidimensional characters and thrilling gameplay. MGS3 also had some of the finest writing, voice acting, and plot twists of any media work ever created - we're talking the quality level of a Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

MGS4 clearly has fantastic gameplay, and the tiny bit we know of the plot is already enough to make the mind reel. June 12th can't come too soon.
I found it hilarious when you say that MGS2 characters weren't developed enough but sing nothing but praises of MGS3 which had the least developed characters if any MGS game since the MSX, The Cobra's

I found it hilarious when you say that MGS2 characters weren't developed enough but sing nothing but praises of MGS3 which had the least developed characters if any MGS game since the MSX, The Cobra's

Dude, they were supporting villains. Believe me, the scenes in the other games where the minor villains recite their life story on their deathbed are not something to be praised.

MGS3 also had some of the finest writing, voice acting, and plot twists of any media work ever created - we're talking the quality level of a Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

Let's please not get carried away. MGS3's plot and characters stand up against just about any action movie you can name, but that's basically what it is -- an action movie. It's not a life-altering work of literature.