By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YES! MGS4 more similar to MGS2 than to MGS3!

hmm...Well I liked Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty than all the Metal Gears combined. It felt right at home for me since it was the first time me playing a Metal Gear game period.

So I choose MGS2: Sons of Liberty.

If MGS4 is anything like MGS2, then it seriously is a pick-up for me. Other than that MGS3 and MGS: Portable Ops on the PSP, put a sour taste in my mouth. I just couldn't find the urge to play those two games. I would either play Halo 3 or MotorStorm over those games and those games would collect dust. So I gave those away.

Around the Network
billy07 said:
]rocketpig said:
billy07 said:
self indulgence is a key factor in what made MGS2 so awesome.

I prefer call it directorial masturbation, but whatever floats your boat.

We've been through this before. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Personally, I'm hoping MGS4 is MGS3 with Splinter Cell controls. That's all I want from the game.

gameplay wise it's closer to MGS3. Storywise its closer to MGS2. Everyones happy now. 

rocketpig said:
I only bitch because I liked the stories in 1 & 3 so much (though not the controls in 3).

Not really =/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

lol, you know Rocketpig doesn't like MGS2 story so he will not be happy

it is just because (IF U READ the link provided with billy07)
the game will not talk about 1 lost hero during the cold war (MGS3)
but completely focus about the Patriot and all thecharatcer/story that have been linked to Snake (from BigBoss to Raiden)

Time to Work !

Ah, the only MGS game I've played is 3 or tried to play. I really hate the controls.

ecurbj said:
hmm...Well I liked Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty than all the Metal Gears combined. It felt right at home for me since it was the first time me playing a Metal Gear game period.

If MGS4 is anything like MGS2, then it seriously is a pick-up for me. Other than that MGS3 and MGS: Portable Ops on the PSP, put a sour taste in my mouth. I just couldn't find the urge to play those two games. I would either play Halo 3 or MotorStorm over those games and those games would collect dust. So I gave those away.
MGS3 is my favorite game, also my first MGS. The story was well paced, unpredictable and exciting.
Why don't you like it?
Personaly I think MGS1 and 2 can't touch  MGS3's story, since I bought twin snakes and substance after I beat MGS3.
Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for sour food and candy. ^_^
Though I also didn't like MGS:PO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
totalwar23 said:
Ah, the only MGS game I've played is 3 or tried to play. I really hate the controls.

Well, then this 'Westernization' of MGS4's controls should really appeal to you. I know that aiming and such is looking much better to me from the gameplay video's of this game. 

mgs2 was rated higher on metacritic, so i guess it being similar to number 2 can only be better for the game.

Dude seriously MGS3 was way better, i don't really care about the philosophy mumbo jumbo.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

iclim4 said:
ecurbj said:

MGS3 is my favorite game, also my first MGS. The story was well paced, unpredictable and exciting.
Why don't you like it?
Personaly I think MGS1 and 2 can't touch MGS3's story, since I bought twin snakes and substance after I beat MGS3.
Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for sour food and candy. ^_^
Though I also didn't like MGS:PO.

MGS3 story sucked because it was too straightforward. One major twist at the end. The rest was simply "go here, then go there" not enough twists or revelations. There also wasn't enough trademark philosophy like at the end of MGS1 and MGS2. The Cobra's had no backtory at all. And the game made you feel sorry for a patriot (The boss), and patriots are utterly pathetic in my book so I really couldn't sympathise.

MGS2 was awsome when you played as snake. I thought 1 was the best, and i enjoyed 3 cause it actually let you play instead of showing movies every 3 steps! : )