By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YES! MGS4 more similar to MGS2 than to MGS3!

jankazimierz said:

MGS2 was awsome when you played as snake. I thought 1 was the best, and i enjoyed 3 cause it actually let you play instead of showing movies every 3 steps! : )

Yeah, the tutorial codecs during the beginning of 2 were annoying as hell. In MGS4 we at least have a skip feature. 

Around the Network
jankazimierz said:
MGS2 was awsome when you played as snake. I thought 1 was the best, and i enjoyed 3 cause it actually let you play instead of showing movies every 3 steps! : )

Also, MGS3 wasn't as codec driven and such. The dependence on codec scenes in MGS2 was rather annoying to me. Are they able to talk with their minds or something? How would using codecs stop somebody from intercepting the conversation, especially if the people who are talking are three feet from each other? For example, when you rescue Ames, he suggests moving to codec communication and Ocelot watching them through a camera becomes annoyed when they stopped talking, which is sort of weird considering you see Raiden using the codec in actual cut-scenes and the other characters can hear him.

IllegalPaladin said:
jankazimierz said:

Also, MGS3 wasn't as codec driven and such. The dependence on codec scenes in MGS2 was rather annoying to me. Are they able to talk with their minds or something? How would using codecs stop somebody from intercepting the conversation, especially if they're three feet from each other? For example, when you rescue Ames, he suggests moving to codec communication and Ocelot watching them through a camera becomes annoyed when they stopped talking, which is sort of weird considering you see Raiden using the codec in actual cut-scenes and the other characters can hear him.

MGS4 has a quarter the amount of madatory codec of previous MGS4 games. Everything is done via real time cutscenes. Lots of optional codec though. 

billy07 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
jankazimierz said:

Also, MGS3 wasn't as codec driven and such. The dependence on codec scenes in MGS2 was rather annoying to me. Are they able to talk with their minds or something? How would using codecs stop somebody from intercepting the conversation, especially if they're three feet from each other? For example, when you rescue Ames, he suggests moving to codec communication and Ocelot watching them through a camera becomes annoyed when they stopped talking, which is sort of weird considering you see Raiden using the codec in actual cut-scenes and the other characters can hear him.

MGS4 has a quarter the amount of madatory codec of previous MGS4 games. Everything is done via real time cutscenes. Lots of optional codec though.

Yes, which is why I was very happy for MGS3 in that it was more cinematic instead of making you wade through so much codec crap. It's also why I'm excited for the more realtime stuff in MGS4 as well as more instant action with (what looks like) less load time between things. 

Well that leaves White Knight Story as the on reason I want a PS3. MGS2 is my least favorite in the series. The story was convoluted and it took the mysticism of the series to an over the top level. I enjoyed playing as Snake, hell I used to play through the ship area of MGS2 over and over gain. I only went the through the Big Shell part of the game because I hoping that I'd get to play as Snake gain.

Around the Network

At least Onimusha12 got banned so he can't troll here.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

billy07 said:

MGS3 story sucked because it was too straightforward. One major twist at the end. The rest was simply "go here, then go there" not enough twists or revelations. There also wasn't enough trademark philosophy like at the end of MGS1 and MGS2. The Cobra's had no backtory at all. And the game made you feel sorry for a patriot (The boss), and patriots are utterly pathetic in my book so I really couldn't sympathise.

Granted, I guess it's just personal preference.

And most people here don't like codecs?
I liked that feature. Conversation changes depeding on what you do in the game.
It makes me feel like I'm doing something to change the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K--YiJma6xI

Here's one of snakes best codec conversations. ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

1/ I can't understand people claiming, just based on this info, they will not buy the game (do you hear me Darc Requiem)

YOU WILL PLAY AS SNAKE 75% at least !! (my own estimate)

and If Kojima handle the thing correctly, all will be great (and I will consider him as a genious : succeeding in finishing a big story like this is EXTREMELY difficult)

2/ Onimusha12 is banned !!
now I understand why he has still not posted in the thread.

Time to Work !

iclim4 said:
billy07 said:

MGS3 story sucked because it was too straightforward. One major twist at the end. The rest was simply "go here, then go there" not enough twists or revelations. There also wasn't enough trademark philosophy like at the end of MGS1 and MGS2. The Cobra's had no backtory at all. And the game made you feel sorry for a patriot (The boss), and patriots are utterly pathetic in my book so I really couldn't sympathise.

Granted, I guess it's just personal preference.

I don't have a problem with codecs in general. I just didn't like how large of a role they played in MGS2's storyline and that you're watching important conversations for a long time. Background information and humor is awesome in MGS1, 2, and 3. However, when MGS2 had all of these characters talking to you in pretty long codec sequences throughout the entire game.... I would get a little bored. 

Yes, the codec stuff in MGS3 like that cardboard box video are great. I especially love the 'how does it taste' arguments between Para-medic and Snake.  

IllegalPaladin said:
iclim4 said:
billy07 said:

Granted, I guess it's just personal preference.

I don't have a problem with codecs in general. I just didn't like how large of a role they played in MGS2's storyline and that you're watching important conversations for a long time. Background information and humor is awesome in MGS1, 2, and 3. However, when MGS2 had all of these characters talking to you in pretty long codec sequences throughout the entire game.... I would get a little bored.

Yes, the codec stuff in MGS3 like that cardboard box video are great. I especially love the 'how does it taste' arguments between Para-medic and Snake.

MGS3 had way too many funny codec convo's and not enough serious ones. The lack of balance ruined it for me.