By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YES! MGS4 more similar to MGS2 than to MGS3!

No joke, libellule, we have some very biased sampling here.

The only person I know in real life who didn't like the game was a hardcore Xbox guy who played the game about 5 years after it came out. By then the game was definitely showing some age on its controls with more fluid games like Splinter Cell having come out in the mean time. He also has a hard time playing any JRPG for more than 10 hours because he just gets bored. Surprise, surprise, he really likes Halo. He also tried to argue with me one time that the original Xbox had a better game library than the PS2. That argument ended pretty badly, with him just ceasing to speak after I actually started scrolling through Gamestop's website to compare the two libraries. He's entitled to his opinion, I am just saying he went in playing the game with a chip on his shoulder.

All of my other friends who played the game absolutely loved it, as well as MSG3. The ones who have a PS3/will buy a PS3 are highly anticipating MGS4.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Of course we have biased sampling here. It's a video game website. Most of us are hardcore gamers.

And frankly, after playing MGS2, a lot of us were disappointed in Kojima. I thought MGS3 was much better but struggled with the dated control system. I'm really hoping MGS4 is a return to MGS3 with improved controls and I know I'm not the only one around here who feels that way. Shit, I might even be in the majority with that opinion.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

libellule said:
The story is confusing and has no resolution.

==> you are right, it doesn't mean it is a bad story IF u release another episode later as MGS4 and that this episode answer to our question.

No, the story was bad. The Empire Strikes Back had a load of cliffhangers and shocked the shit out of most people with the ending. It's also widely considered to be the best Star Wars film made.

MGS2's story was bad because it was pretentious, lacked momentum, and meandered through the entire game with no focus on a climax. Then it ended with a long-winded and bullshit philosophical message that took what little wind was left in the sails of the game and completely ruined the experience.

The story was poorly told. It's just that simple. It failed on almost every aspect of solid storytelling. It hid things from the viewer, it lacked a climax, it wandered through different characters without really tying them together well, the main character had few redeeming qualities, it ended with a thud, and then it proceeded to ramble on for half an hour after it had long worn out its welcome.

Whether people agree with the "depth and philosophy" of MGS2 or not doesn't matter. As a story, it was very poorly done.

"Of course we have biased sampling here. It's a video game website. Most of us are hardcore gamers."

==> hum, some of us are hardcore. And hardcore is way to large to be used here. I m pretty sure I m a hardcore too (in a way) even if I played a lot less game than you.

"And frankly, after playing MGS2, a lot of us were disappointed in Kojima. I thought MGS3 was much better but struggled with the dated control system. I'm really hoping MGS4 is a return to MGS3 with improved controls and I know I'm not the only one around here who feels that way. Shit, I might even be in the majority with that opinion"

==> I really think it is not the majority. After all, many people bought MGS3 despite the supposed "crappy" MGS2 episode.

Time to Work !

Well suck it up people, because Kojima doen't care about your whining seeing how MGS4 is far closer to MGS2's storytelling than any of the other games. I guess you'll all have a pretty dull June.

Around the Network
billy07 said:
Well suck it up people, because Kojima doen't care about your whining seeing how MGS4 is far closer to MGS2's storytelling than any of the other games. I guess you'll all have a pretty dull June.

No, I'll just be sitting on my couch and mouth breathing while enjoying the simplistic-yet-still-fun Ninja Gaiden.

Or maybe I'll read a good book.

@ZenfoldorVGI I can understand and respect your opinion that MGS2 was a disappointment to you, but goddamn, comparing it to Highlander 2 is a bit harsh. MGS2 is the weakest of the series, but as a part of the whole its story contributes to the lore present throughout the Solid series, complete with its share of mindfucks and parallels to characters past and present and recurring themes, which I'd love to discuss that with you sometime as I enjoy talking about Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Anyway, it's hard to please everyone, and I'm sure Kojima worries about it to the point of forming ulcers. I disagree with rocketpig saying that Kojima isn't a good storyteller; he just doesn't effectively deliver it from time to time. With the first and third games, we saw him use it with great emotional intensity, bringing the audience into the minds of the heroes and we shared in their trials, their pain, loss and duty. The second game had a story to tell, but Kojima tried to tell too much too soon, no time to connect.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

I disagree with rocketpig saying that Kojima isn't a good storyteller; he just doesn't effectively deliver it from time to time.

That's fair. After all, MGS and MGS3 were decent stories. Too convoluted for my liking and the pacing could have been better, but I've seen a lot worse in this industry.

What bothers me most is how low standards are held in this industry. It's starting to really piss me off. Even games that receive accolades from every direction *cough*BioShock*cough* would be considered mediocre at best by the rest of the entertainment industry when it comes to character complexity, pacing, and story depth.

Remember, at the time, Kojima wanted to end the series with MGS2. If he had planned to finish at 4, MGS2 would have been a much different game and he wouldn't have needed to try to clear up the all the uncertainties of the 2nd. Hopefully he'll put an end to the series in true fashion, leaving no holes to be filled.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

Instant_Karma said:
Remember, at the time, Kojima wanted to end the series with MGS2. If he had planned to finish at 4, MGS2 would have been a much different game and he wouldn't have needed to try to clear up the all the uncertainties of the 2nd. Hopefully he'll put an end to the series in true fashion, leaving no holes to be filled.

You mean that piece of shit was actually supposed to end the series?

I take back anything nice I ever said about Kojima. Ending a story like that is terrible by anyone's standards.