By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

Max King of the Wild said:
shouldnt we have the next set by now?

cant use it, they are dispalying sales for the year through 11/16/08. It is interesting to say the least but still useless in the data im trying to provide.

Market Share:

DVD 96%   Blu-ray 4%

Total Revenue:

DVD: $6,306.01 million

Blu-ray: $410.28 million

Black Friday 2008 vs 2007:

DVD: down 8.47%

Blu-ray: up 233.23%

So total market =/= average of top 20 selling titles but we all knew this. Still interesting to say the least. I figure this means that Blu-ray was at 2% last year.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/19764/20788/dark-knight-half-million-sales.phtml

The latest Batman outing, the Dark Knight, sold over half a million copies on its debut day.

The stats - from Official Charts Company data as revealed by the British Video Association - show that DVDs are still far outstripping Blu-ray sales with 21% of the 513,000 units sold on the next-gen format.

As we've reported previously, the Blu-ray version of the Dark Knight is Warner Bros' first home entertainment release to include interactive, online BD-Live features, but, these features can only be enjoyed on a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player, such as the PS3.

The BVA suggests Blu-ray is selling well for Christmas with the news that in November, Blu-ray sold almost 463,000 discs - a 66% increase on the previous month

I was browsing Yahoo Finance and saw this article with a snippet about Blu-Ray players at the end. The rest of the article also has interesting data on the economy's effect on sales.

147k standalone Blu-Ray players sold on Black Friday, ~440k DVD players sold.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081210/tec_techbit_gadget_shopping.html?.v=2

TVs and laptops sold on Black Friday, but few other gadgets, NPD Group says

NEW YORK (AP) -- For the first time in at least seven years, consumer electronics sales fell from the previous year at the start of the holiday shopping season, analysts said, dashing hopes that the category would hold up despite the weak economy.

In dollar terms, sales were down 8.4 percent for the week ending the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the NPD Group reported this week. The traditional start of the holiday shopping season is "Black Friday," the day after Thanksgiving.

The drop makes the consumer electronics category appear to be a loser compared to the overall market. Total sales in all categories of products rose 0.8 percent for the week, according to another research firm, ShopperTrak RCT.

Electronics sales weren't a complete rout. Flat-panel LCD TVs and laptop computers were the strongest categories, with sales up 8 percent in each, NPD said. About the same number of units were sold as last year. Beyond that, however, there wasn't much to cheer about for manufacturers and retailers.

"Televisions and notebook computers really did bring all the dollars in, and once we got beyond those categories there just weren't a lot of dollars available for the rest of marketplace," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis for NPD. The firm tracks shipments from manufacturers and sales at retailers.

NPD doesn't specifically look at profits, but noted that retailers resisted the temptation to slash prices to the bone.

"We didn't see enormous door-busters at pricing that we haven't seen before," Baker said. More aggressive price cuts might have let retailers sell more units, but probably wouldn't have boosted overall revenues, he believes.

"Consumers were just not spending this holiday," Baker said.

Categories that shined last year failed to repeat the performance. Sales of GPS navigation units fell by 14 percent. Digital picture frames, which have been heavily advertised, fell 1.1 percent from last year, after more than doubling their sales the year before.

"We don't really seem to have a hot new product," Baker said.

Players for Blu-ray discs, the high-definition successor to the DVD, did relatively well, since the prices are now below $200. Retailers sold 147,000 units, excluding Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 consoles, which can also play the discs. But the older format is still king: Three times as many DVD players were sold.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

US is behind the times, BD recorders are already outselling DVD recorders in Japan.

Blu-ray sales accelerate to record levels in Japan

09 December 2008
Japan, Consumer Electronics

Latest GfK Retail and Technology Japan figures have revealed that in the first week of November 2008, Blu-ray Disc Recorders have surpassed a 50% market share for DVD Recorders in unit terms.

Looking back to October 2007, Blu-ray Disc Recorders accounted for a market share of 10% and have since exhibited rapid growth.

The average sales price has begun to come down in 2008. In the first week of June 2008, the average sales price of Blu-ray Disc Recorders was between 110,000 – 120,000 JPY. By the third week of October, it dropped to between 100,000 – 110,000 JPY.

GfK Retail and Technology estimates that the price will continue to be reduced in the build-up to Christmas and the product may become ‘one-to-watch’ during the winter sales.
Blu-ray transition outpacing DVD recorders

In addition to this impressive growth, according to GfK’s retail audit survey, Blu-ray Disc Recorders are replacing DVD Recorders 1.5 times faster than DVD Recorders replaced VHS Recorders.

DVD recorders exceeded 10% market share in the fifth week of April 2002 and continued to grow steadily, eventually surpassing 50% after 82 weeks in the fourth week of November 2003. In comparison, Blu-ray Disc Recorders exceeded 10% market share in the fifth week of October 2007 and after 53 weeks, in the first week of November 2008, surpassed 50%.

One of the principal reasons for this quicker rate of change is the rise in sales of Flat Panel TVs, enabling viewers to experience digital high definition broadcasting. Blu-ray Recorders can record digital high definition broadcasting without any drop in quality, which has assisted the accelerated demand for this product.

GfK

Blu-ray is making inroads. I don't see them taking the throne from DVD anytime before 2011 at the absolute earliest.

The price is the biggest hindrance. I have a PS3 but I have bought only a few blu-ray disk movies because DVDs are much cheaper, and look and sound almost as good in most instances. I plan to get Wall-E on blu-ray because that apparently has set a really high standard for the format, but in most cases where I see a blu-ray movie costing twice as much as the DVD version I'll opt for the latter. Expecially as I'm a fan of a lot of older movies I can't imagine blu-ray is going to get a lot out of them that DVD hasn't.

Around the Network

so let me see if i have that right. Blu-ray this year in total has 4% market share? That is the same as last year? So if that is correct how can it be making "inroads" if it is still the same? This holiday compared to last holiday sees at least another 10m Blu-Ray players out in the wild so for it to then remain the same surely must be seen as a very very bad thing? Again i might have read that wrong.

Hyruken said:
so let me see if i have that right. Blu-ray this year in total has 4% market share? That is the same as last year? So if that is correct how can it be making "inroads" if it is still the same? This holiday compared to last holiday sees at least another 10m Blu-Ray players out in the wild so for it to then remain the same surely must be seen as a very very bad thing? Again i might have read that wrong.

For one its 4% in the USA only. This is not a worldwide percentage. Secondly Blu-ray was only like 2% last year. If you notice the year over year growth DVD was down and Blu-ray up this year.

Above this post is also an article stating that Blu-ray is outpacing DVD is Japan. I have also seen articles that have shown Blu-ray doing very well in the EU.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Now I know why ps3 sales have been going up in japan lately, Blu-ray is really taking off there

mM
ssj12 said:
Hyruken said:

For one its 4% in the USA only. This is not a worldwide percentage. Secondly Blu-ray was only like 2% last year. If you notice the year over year growth DVD was down and Blu-ray up this year.

Above this post is also an article stating that Blu-ray is outpacing DVD is Japan. I have also seen articles that have shown Blu-ray doing very well in the EU.

2% with how many new blu-ray players/PS3's? Sorry but if dvd still has 96% market when Blu-ray has had a year of no competition and having it's 3rd holiday season that does not bode well. At that rate it will take 24 years just to get to 50-50. Think we can assume in 24 years we won't be using disc machines! So not sure "in roads" would be the correct term.

whoop go blu ray

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st