By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD.

3/28: Blu-ray 88% HD-DVD 12% DVD 94% Blu-ray 6% - Source

That 94% vs 6% number is *completely* misleading as that is the BD top 20 vs the DVD top 20. Considering there has been no huge releases lately and there's a much smaller set of BD discs for new BD owners (and old BD owners alike) to choose from compared to DVD, comparing such a tiny fraction of the market (only top 20) will *heavily* favor BD.

The number could very well be 98% DVD vs 2% BD.

you can't compare a product 8 years ago vs a product now very easy. Thats like saying the PS2 is killing the Wii in sales this generation. You can only compare the top selling titles. Nielson VideoScan is highly respected in the industry so if they wish to track the top 20 best selling titles of the week I'm not arguing and you shouldn't either.

I'm not arguing, I'm simply stating the fact that it is misleading. They're comparing such a tiny section of the market and therefore it is going to be very favorable to BD, which doesn't have the breadth of DVD. That's my only contingency, and my contingency is correct.

There's nothing wrong with Nielson -- they even state that they're only comparing the top 20. It's up to the reader to realize what that means, and I'm only pointing this out so that all of the readers have an extra chance to notice it.

Look at the releases for DVD.  Nothing.  No good new releases, nothing that will get a lot of sales. So while DVD owners are buying outside of the new releases list, and BD owners are as well, BD owners are more likely to be buying the same 20 DVDs because they have many, many fewer to choose from.  Before you get excited about that 8%, realize that it is an incomplete and temporary number.  We don't even know what movies are in the top 20 for each.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Comparing selective titles is an exercise in futility. It heavily skews to favour the new format.

Most people can and do realise that the tracking at the moment reveals very little about long term trends.

Blu Ray isnt viable until the price becomes competitive. Here in England a Blu Ray Disc is double the cost of the SD Disc.

Blu Ray might well be the best bit of tech with the worst possible timing.

Imagine trying to grow a luxury product during the biggest worldwide recession since the 30's

Around the Network

Besides what TheBigFatJ said, there's the fact that these percentages are calculated from revenue, which favors Blu-Ray since BR discs are usually more expensive than DVDs.

I'd guess that Blu-Ray's true marketshare is somewhere between 1-5%. I don't see much chance of it being outside this interval.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Cypher1980 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD.

3/28: Blu-ray 88% HD-DVD 12% DVD 94% Blu-ray 6% - Source

That 94% vs 6% number is *completely* misleading as that is the BD top 20 vs the DVD top 20. Considering there has been no huge releases lately and there's a much smaller set of BD discs for new BD owners (and old BD owners alike) to choose from compared to DVD, comparing such a tiny fraction of the market (only top 20) will *heavily* favor BD.

The number could very well be 98% DVD vs 2% BD.

you can't compare a product 8 years ago vs a product now very easy. Thats like saying the PS2 is killing the Wii in sales this generation. You can only compare the top selling titles. Nielson VideoScan is highly respected in the industry so if they wish to track the top 20 best selling titles of the week I'm not arguing and you shouldn't either.

I'm not arguing, I'm simply stating the fact that it is misleading. They're comparing such a tiny section of the market and therefore it is going to be very favorable to BD, which doesn't have the breadth of DVD. That's my only contingency, and my contingency is correct.

There's nothing wrong with Nielson -- they even state that they're only comparing the top 20. It's up to the reader to realize what that means, and I'm only pointing this out so that all of the readers have an extra chance to notice it.

Look at the releases for DVD.  Nothing.  No good new releases, nothing that will get a lot of sales. So while DVD owners are buying outside of the new releases list, and BD owners are as well, BD owners are more likely to be buying the same 20 DVDs because they have many, many fewer to choose from.  Before you get excited about that 8%, realize that it is an incomplete and temporary number.  We don't even know what movies are in the top 20 for each.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Comparing selective titles is an exercise in futility. It heavily skews to favour the new format.

Most people can and do realise that the tracking at the moment reveals very little about long term trends.

Blu Ray isnt viable until the price becomes competitive. Here in England a Blu Ray Disc is double the cost of the SD Disc.

Blu Ray might well be the best bit of tech with the worst possible timing.

Imagine trying to grow a luxury product during the biggest worldwide recession since the 30's

I think they also give US$ sales comparison. which i believe is far more useful. So even if Blu Ray is selling fraction of DVD units but it is brining in a lot more US$ for the company than the company will promote it... (i m assuming that the %age profit on $100 sale of BD is more than %age profit on $100 sale of DVD).

Sure it could have done better in better economic condition.. but still its not doing that bad either.

Hey the guys I was talking about came just in time.

NJ5 said:
Besides what TheBigFatJ said, there's the fact that these percentages are calculated from revenue, which favors Blu-Ray since BR discs are usually more expensive than DVDs.

I'd guess that Blu-Ray's true marketshare is somewhere between 1-5%. I don't see much chance of it being outside this interval.

I hardly doubt the 5 dollar bargain bins would make a difference. And exactly what noobie said about profits.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
NJ5 said:

I hardly doubt the 5 dollar bargain bins would make a difference. And exactly what noobie said about profits.

I hardly doubt it too ;) Meaning of course they make a difference. Why wouldn't they? Besides, it's not like everything outside the top 20 is in the bargain bin.

Regarding profits, I'm not denying that point, just pointing out the facts about market share.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DVD will remain king for a while, imho, but it will be interesting to see if brd can narrow the gap this holiday season.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

go Blueray!!

I wonder how the Holiday numbers turn out.

Especially Dark Knight and Wall*E.

I've already bought 2 copies of each (Special Editions of course!)

1 for self, 1 for gifts to family members.

BTW Amazon.com has best deal for these titles (SE) on DVD.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

shouldnt we have the next set by now?