By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

What do you want in the future?

Switch Ultra HD 168 47.19%

Switch home console only, more powerful 40 11.24%

Dumbed down Switch mobile only 25 7.02%

Something brand new and i... 123 34.55%

Total:356

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they give the Switch a good 7 year lifespan before replacing it, and in that time just make different models like a Mini/Lite/XL/SP/etc.

That way, by the time they do replace it, it can be with something new and innovative to suit the currently unforeseeable market conditions of 2024, not just an iterative upgrade.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they give the Switch a good 7 year lifespan before replacing it, and in that time just make different models like a Mini/Lite/XL/SP/etc.

That way, by the time they do replace it, it can be with something new and innovative to suit the currently unforeseeable market conditions of 2024, not just an iterative upgrade.

Sure, but my point was I think Nintendo has struck an idea (and others on this thread agree) that they shouldn't go away from at least in the next gen. I don't ever want them to go back to JUST being a handheld or JUST being a home console. The Switch is simply too convenient to go back to the old way. "Forget the old way!"

KBG29 said:
Give me a Switch Phone and they will have a Nintendo Phone owner for life. I don't see any reason to change the formula for the next many years, as the Switch is a great platform, built on a solid chipset, that will continue to evolve. I don't see any reason for major changes for at least the next decade.

So a phone that can play Switch games on it? I can't even imagine what that phone battery would have to be lol

Arminillo said:
I hope for the return of dual screen. Basically what the wii u shouldve been, a console with a tablet controller you can take anywhere.

The Wii U was one of their biggest failures of all time in the gaming industry. I REALLY doubt they will go back to that. Switch is what the Wii U should have been. 

For the record, I own a WIi U and enjoyed it a lot, but the Switch is so much better and more convenient.

Considering the gaming community is more mobile than ever and that it's a trend that will likely continue into the foreseeable future, we can be pretty sure Nintendo will continue of this path and Sony/MS will likely look into this aswell in time.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Considering the gaming community is more mobile than ever and that it's a trend that will likely continue into the foreseeable future, we can be pretty sure Nintendo will continue of this path and Sony/MS will likely look into this aswell in time.

That I could see as well. I'm just curious if they will go super expensive route or if they will try to match Nintendo's next Switch. Though, those two have done worse and better than Nintendo since they went with more power (I'm not sure what will happen to their sales if they try to match Switch2). This is all hypothetical, of course, but it's fun to discuss!

Dulfite said:
Arminillo said:
I hope for the return of dual screen. Basically what the wii u shouldve been, a console with a tablet controller you can take anywhere.

The Wii U was one of their biggest failures of all time in the gaming industry. I REALLY doubt they will go back to that. Switch is what the Wii U should have been. 

For the record, I own a WIi U and enjoyed it a lot, but the Switch is so much better and more convenient.

Switch isn't better yet in terms of software (I know It's only been a few months) but it is better hardware due to the fact that you can actually take it anywhere without the limitations of the Wii U.  I'm being nit-picky but that statement won't be completely true for another year or so.  Heck my Wii U would have problems with some of my walls where I couldn't just take it into my bathroom which is about 15 feet away from the console because the signal would get interference with the walls.  I know some could take their Wii U gamepads to other rooms but it didn't play too nicely with the walls at my house.

sethnintendo said:
Dulfite said:

Switch isn't better yet in terms of software (I know It's only been a few months) but it is better hardware due to the fact that you can actually take it anywhere without the limitations of the Wii U.  I'm being nit-picky but that statement won't be completely true for another year or so.  Heck my Wii U would have problems with some of my walls where I couldn't just take it into my bathroom which is about 15 feet away from the console because the signal would get interference with the walls.  I know some could take their Wii U gamepads to other rooms but it didn't play too nicely with the walls at my house.

thats what im saying, i want a system with a controller you can take anywhere, like a switch, but instead of dock its actually part of the console that runs on tv.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

RolStoppable said:

Well, you think that removing these things would save hundreds of dollars. It's safe to say that my assumptions are more reasonable than yours.

I haven't put an actual dollar value on it.

Also. I'm in Australia, Switch is almost $500 AUD. Xbox One has retailed at half that price at times... So let that sink in with you for a moment.

RolStoppable said:

I've talked about cost differences for screen and battery, you listed the specifications in response, not the manufacturing costs.

Specifications have a direct relationship to cost. The better the hardware, the more it costs. It's simple concept really.

RolStoppable said:

You believe that the Switch Pro Controller has only half the stuff of the Joy-Cons, but that holds only true for the battery; the HD rumble is the same as the two Joy-Cons' combined into a single controller, the same holds true for the sticks and buttons. In all instances you are really only removing very few parts and said parts aren't expensive ones that would lead to savings of hundreds of dollars.

You are right. The Pro controller does have two "HD Rumble" elements.

But you cannot assume the Pro controller has the same bill of materials as two Joycons, because it doesn't as it doesn't have:
2x IR sensor.
2x Accellerometers
2x Gyro-sensors.
2x batterys.

Not to mentional all the extra hardware required for mechanical processes for docking with the Switch and it's accessories.

Arminillo said:

thats what im saying, i want a system with a controller you can take anywhere, like a switch, but instead of dock its actually part of the console that runs on tv.

Years ago I had a Nintendo 64-styled controller that did just that, where it was loaded up with a heap of 8-bit games and connected to the old TV via RCA. Was actually a great concept.

Unfortunately it did make it heavy... And it did require AC power, so it had a ton of cables coming out.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dulfite said:

The Wii U was one of their biggest failures of all time in the gaming industry.

Let's not get carried away.

It was a failure, but nowhere near as big a failure, as say, Virtual Boy, Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar, Phillips CD-i, etc.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Sure, but my point was I think Nintendo has struck an idea (and others on this thread agree) that they shouldn't go away from at least in the next gen. I don't ever want them to go back to JUST being a handheld or JUST being a home console. The Switch is simply too convenient to go back to the old way. "Forget the old way!"

Oh I'm pretty sure they'll never go back to a split console/handheld approach, that would be like going back to SD resolutions or monochrome screens, a regressive step that would just make no sense. The Wii U/3DS gen proved they can no longer properly support a divided userbase, and there's no point in making dedicated portables any more.

My point was more that by 2024 their next system might be something new we can't foresee yet.