What do you want in the future?

Switch Ultra HD 168 47.19%

Switch home console only, more powerful 40 11.24%

Dumbed down Switch mobile only 25 7.02%

Something brand new and i... 123 34.55%

Total:356
curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

The Wii U was one of their biggest failures of all time in the gaming industry.

Let's not get carried away.

It was a failure, but nowhere near as big a failure, as say, Virtual Boy, Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar, Phillips CD-i, etc.

Dulfite said:

Sure, but my point was I think Nintendo has struck an idea (and others on this thread agree) that they shouldn't go away from at least in the next gen. I don't ever want them to go back to JUST being a handheld or JUST being a home console. The Switch is simply too convenient to go back to the old way. "Forget the old way!"

Oh I'm pretty sure they'll never go back to a split console/handheld approach, that would be like going back to SD resolutions or monochrome screens, a regressive step that would just make no sense. The Wii U/3DS gen proved they can no longer properly support a divided userbase, and there's no point in making dedicated portables any more.

My point was more that by 2024 their next system might be something new we can't foresee yet.

I said one of "their" biggest failures in the gaming industry (I specified that because they've been around since the 1800's). Only the virtual boy did worse. Nintendo doesn't care about how their devices sell in comparison to other companies, just their own past.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Let's not get carried away.

It was a failure, but nowhere near as big a failure, as say, Virtual Boy, Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar, Phillips CD-i, etc.

Oh I'm pretty sure they'll never go back to a split console/handheld approach, that would be like going back to SD resolutions or monochrome screens, a regressive step that would just make no sense. The Wii U/3DS gen proved they can no longer properly support a divided userbase, and there's no point in making dedicated portables any more.

My point was more that by 2024 their next system might be something new we can't foresee yet.

I said one of "their" biggest failures in the gaming industry (I specified that because they've been around since the 1800's). Only the virtual boy did worse. Nintendo doesn't care about how their devices sell in comparison to other companies, just their own past.

Ah, since you said "of all time in the gaming industry" I assumed "their" was a typo and you didn't mean just Nintendo.

Dulfite said:
Puppyroach said:
Considering the gaming community is more mobile than ever and that it's a trend that will likely continue into the foreseeable future, we can be pretty sure Nintendo will continue of this path and Sony/MS will likely look into this aswell in time.

That I could see as well. I'm just curious if they will go super expensive route or if they will try to match Nintendo's next Switch. Though, those two have done worse and better than Nintendo since they went with more power (I'm not sure what will happen to their sales if they try to match Switch2). This is all hypothetical, of course, but it's fun to discuss!

It is indeed! I would hope they would go the route of lesser power to a better cost for the consumer and stop trying to be a "PC-light" console. At the same time I´m looking forward to the XBox One X so that makes me a hypocrite perhaps =).

A part of me will always want Nintendo to at some point put out a normal "most powerful hardware ever", but if it's always just more powerful switches who can blame them. At least I won't have to worry about buying day 1 hardware ever again.

Puppyroach said:
Dulfite said:

That I could see as well. I'm just curious if they will go super expensive route or if they will try to match Nintendo's next Switch. Though, those two have done worse and better than Nintendo since they went with more power (I'm not sure what will happen to their sales if they try to match Switch2). This is all hypothetical, of course, but it's fun to discuss!

It is indeed! I would hope they would go the route of lesser power to a better cost for the consumer and stop trying to be a "PC-light" console. At the same time I´m looking forward to the XBox One X so that makes me a hypocrite perhaps =).

It would be pretty awesome if they went from what the Switch can handle all the way up to the most powerful 10th gen graphics, or at least be comparitively a full gen leap over PS5, and Nextbox. Imagine how huge of a leap that would be to people who only/mostly play Nintendo consoles, it'd be insane!

Around the Network

Well this thread seems somewhat relavent again...