By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is deserving of praise, not criticism, for XBox 1 not having many exclusives

SegataSanshiro said:
KLAMarine said:

Not everyone cares for PC gaming.

And haveing less exclusives make speople care even less about your console.

It is a nice UHD Blu-ray player, though. I recommend it at work to customers over the stand-alone players.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
FentonCrackshell said:

Yeah, not pulling out. But making a move as to say they're not really competing against the PS4. Remember how "units sold" was all the rage for Microsoft last gen? Well that's not their thing anymore. It's now "active users". Obviously touting units sold wouldn't make sense when the competition dwarfs you in that category. Just switch it up a bit and make it sound good.

Remember when power meant nothing to PS fanboys? Then PS Pro released and they mocked X1 fans because rhey became the most powerful. Now X1X is coming and all of a sudden power means nothing. It's all about exclusives now. This type of thing isn't new though. Exclusives have always been the main argument when it comes to console gaming. Now all of a sudden the console with the fewest exclusives should get the most praise. Nonsense!

Everyone knew the XB1X was going to be stronger and deliver better performance than the PS4 Pro before the Pro even launched. Not sure where you were for the past year, but I didn't see many PS fans lauding the Pro over Xbox fans because they knew they'd be eating crow by November 2017 if they did. It's always been a list war to the PS fans, because it's a fight they will win every time against Xbox.

Do you follow any of the gaming sites Facebook pages? Because even now it's a thing. No one cared about eating crow because they knew they'd just switch the argument down the road. Now we're arguing about exclusivity and not power. And it's cool if MS wasn't to make X1 and PC one and the same. But don't say we should be praising a console for its lack of exclusives. What will they show at conferences if the competition will be showing the same thing as well as more?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
Azuren said:

Everyone knew the XB1X was going to be stronger and deliver better performance than the PS4 Pro before the Pro even launched. Not sure where you were for the past year, but I didn't see many PS fans lauding the Pro over Xbox fans because they knew they'd be eating crow by November 2017 if they did. It's always been a list war to the PS fans, because it's a fight they will win every time against Xbox.

Do you follow any of the gaming sites Facebook pages? Because even now it's a thing. No one cared about eating crow because they knew they'd just switch the argument down the road. Now we're arguing about exclusivity and not power. And it's cool if MS wasn't to make X1 and PC one and the same. But don't say we should be praising a console for its lack of exclusives. What will they show at conferences if the competition will be showing the same thing as well as more?

Those same sites are also full of people who think Xbox has more exclusives and that the Switch is more powerful than a PS4. If we're going to lower the bar that far, you need to let me know first so I can dip out of the conversation.

Azuren said:
SegataSanshiro said:

And haveing less exclusives make speople care even less about your console.

It is a nice UHD Blu-ray player, though. I recommend it at work to customers over the stand-alone players.

Something a very small percentage of people use esp these days with video streaming services and higher speed internet. Also for a $140 you can get a UHD player off Amazon if just buying one to play movies. Even a Samsung one for 70 bucks.

SegataSanshiro said:
Azuren said:

Something a very small percentage of people use esp these days with video streaming services and higher speed internet. Also for a $140 you can get a UHD player off Amazon if just buying one to play movies. Even a Samsung one for 70 bucks.

Cheapest new ones on the market are in the $150~ range. If you found one for $70, odds are it's either used, broken, a random no-name brand, or is actually a normal Blu-ray player with a "4K upscaler".

Still, most people agree with me that if they're gonna get a 4K player, it may as well also be a game console.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pemalite said:

I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter how much more exclusives there are on Playstation 4 verses the Xbox One.
It still shares the bulk of it's Library with the PC.

So if you *truly* wish to have the best "spread" of available titles... (Your words, not mine.)

Then you need:
PC+Nintendo.
Sony+Nintendo.
Or.
Microsoft+Nintendo.

It doesn't make sense to have PC+Xbox or PC+Playstation if "spread" is your main issue.
Regardless. You could just get them all. Brand loyalty is bullshit anyway.

That isn't to say Sony doesn't have a ton of exclusives, it has some of the best exclusives this generation, but the majority of it's library is on PC, because the majority of it's library is multiplats.
It's less of an issue for Sony than Microsoft though, thus Microsoft deserves the criticism it gets.

I could live without both the Xbox and Playstation rather easily. I choose not to because... I like games.

Sonys exclusives are the gateway between the west and the east. One of the least friendly places to get jrpg ports these days. Most of my PC friends who love anime have PlayStation and Nintendo for that reason. They find Xbox to be redundant because it makes no bones about the fact the Xbox one is a is a steam box for their PC endeavors. Microsoft is making it so soon you won't need an Xbox if you don't want it. All you have to do is get an elite controller and invest in Windows 10. That's the real goal... what they've always wanted to do.

PC has access to majority of Anime and JRPG games so really same can be said for PS4.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Azzanation said:
Because apparently a consoles identity is more important than playing games.
Gamers need to learn that Xbox isnt a console anymore. It's a service, a ecosystem which isnt locked to a plastic box.
Whats even funnier is i hear/read gamers hate on Window 10 and its store yet jump for joy when big AAA games like Gears 4 is on it (Not on Steam)
Those thanking MS for saving them buying an Xbox. MS is thanking you for buying/using Windows 10. I mean honestly haha i face palm all the time reading comments like this "i hate MS/Xbox, there a greedy corporation.. whats this.. Forza Horizon 3 is on PC?!?! Sucked in MS..." haha.
The community is all over the place now.

Before Microsoft a consoles identity came from Exclusives. The proud individuality that separates one brand from another. Nintendo was the family gaming brand with games for all ages, sega did what nintnedont and provided games teens could enjoy. They ran the arcade scene. Sony killed the arcades and made the home the center of the living room for everything. Micorsoft finished what sega started but brought us into a realm where there is no identity for a console if people follow their lead.

Are you going to forget that Halo 1, 2, Gears and Fable all crossed to PC back on the OG Xbox?

Xbox has always keep PC close. From there very first console. If anything MS are going back to there roots.

That's what I've been saying all along. It's really sad that the most consumer friendly console maker is the one that sells the worst.
That's what you get if you condition console players that shitty consumer hating behavior is not only acceptable but encouraged.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SegataSanshiro said:
KLAMarine said:

Not everyone cares for PC gaming.

And having less exclusives makes people care even less about your console.

But how many people would these be? Non-exclusivity didn't stop some of the biggest sellers on consoles being third party titles, not exclusives. This was particularly true last generation:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/261769/top-10-best-selling-playstation-3-games/

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/261894/top-10-best-selling-xbox-360-games/

In addition, for people who don't care for PC gaming, an otherwise-exclusive X1 title also available on PC should make no difference to them that it is also available on PC. GTA 5 having record sales doesn't seem to be slowed down by the game not being an exclusive.

Without true exclusives, the entire purpose of a platform to exist is severely diminished. You ask: "Does a game being available on more than one platform not make it more readily available to people thus benefiting the consumer?" How about people who bought the XBO in good faith thinking they NEEDED to do so in order to play the games they rightfully assumed would be exclusive? To those same people who bought 2 or 3 years of XBL subs? Is that pro consumer? To those that have already bought into a clearly defined ideology, only to have it taken away on a whim? I see the course of action being taken by MS being met with indignation even among our small numbers.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

KLAMarine said:

I often come across the complaint that many XBox 1 games that would have otherwise been exclusives are also put on PC thus rendering them non-exclusives and I'm wondering why people complain?

Does a game being available on more than one platform not make it more readily available to people thus benefiting the consumer? Is the ability to play a game on more than one configuration not a good thing? PS4 and Switch exclusives can only be played on their respective platforms but with XBox1/PC, you have more choice.

Online gaming on PC is free last I checked so you don't even need to pay a subscription fee to play these games online. Microsoft undermines their own efforts to charge for online multiplayer by making their otherwise-XBox 1 exclusive games also available on PC.

Already got a gaming PC? Great! No need to buy an XBox 1 and we the consumers win but I cannot recall any time wherein Microsoft has received rightful praise for their pro-consumer policy of making their software available on XBox 1 AND PC rather than just locking their software to one box.

What's the deal with people complaining instead of praising?

One of the main problems here is that MS Play Anywhere program doesn't work like it should be. You still have a lot of differences between XB1 and PC versions of games. The majority of PA games doesn't have cross-play or cross-save. So, what's good in splitting the userbase between two platforms. When the program was announced it sounded good in theory but MS seems to have failed to achieve what they were expected to. Also, they release some games on Steam and this versions doesn't use XBL for online play at all splitting user base even further. Now between three different platforms. I think that people doesn't praise them because it all looks like MS is just being desperate for a quick buck instead of thinking about the future of their gaming platform.

Also, I disagree with your statement that MS selling Xbox One X at loss is a proof that they are not leaving hardware business. First of all, they aren't selling it at a loss. And even if they do, it doesn't seem that this loss is huge according to Phil Spencer's interview. But MS shifting their focus from Xbox to Win10 I think is a good proof that they exactly want to leave console market. Let's look at some of their E3 announcements: when they talked about VR they mentioned that PC is the right choice for it. So, they are more interested in bringing VR to PC than Xbox. They have 1 PC exclusive: AoE HD and 0 for Xbox. And it is understandable from business point of view. Why would you waste your money on R&D to make dedicated gaming hardware if you have a lot of partners like HP, Asus, Acer, etc. that will build this hardware for you and even pay you for installing your OS on it. The main reason why they still release Xbox One X is that Win10 crowd is not nearly as big as Xbox right now. They can't risk right now and they need something to keep them in the gaming business while this shift towards PC is in progress. I can bet that when Windows Store userbase will surpass the Xbox userbase, MS will leave console market. That's a given.