By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is deserving of praise, not criticism, for XBox 1 not having many exclusives

Azzanation said:
Lauster said:

I get it... you can't answer my questions, repeat the same mantra tirelessly, and it seems you see excuses from someone for this hack when there is not.

Well, have a good day, and keep up your crusade sir.

The concept here is called Client Data Security Fault, it can be punished by law but is not related to anti-consumer practises.

By the way,

Microsoft (& others) :
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/357041/top-story-273-million-passwords-stolen-from-google-yahoo-microsoft-in-major-security-breach

Nintendo (pretty good, but not perfect everywhere) :
https://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/07/05/nintendo-reward-program-site-hacked-members-names-email-addresses-and-phone-numbers-possibly-compromised/
https://www.databreaches.net/hacker-blackmails-nintendo-with-personal-data-from-4000-gamer/

Government (you can't have missed this) :
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/us/office-of-personnel-management-hackers-got-data-of-millions.html

Not disagreeing that it hasnt happen. However we arent talking about a common practice. 

Its like stealing cars. Doesnt matter how secure your car is, there are groups that will try to steal it. However making it a bitch to steal is where my point is.

Sony clearly underestimated this issue and had to learn the hard way. I am sure most companies have. In this day and age, if a company tries to do online and havnt thought about using beefed up security, than there are trust factors and inexpensive at play here.

You're either out of the real world or joking.

Government's data breaches are far more critical (OPM is one of the most significant data breach known at this time) and common than you think (try a search whith IRS, USIS or KeyPoint for the most recent).

To compare (and minimize) these attacks against the single big attack of the PSN (as unacceptable as it was, data was less sensitive) is quite inappropriate.

Around the Network
Lauster said:
Azzanation said:

Not disagreeing that it hasnt happen. However we arent talking about a common practice. 

Its like stealing cars. Doesnt matter how secure your car is, there are groups that will try to steal it. However making it a bitch to steal is where my point is.

Sony clearly underestimated this issue and had to learn the hard way. I am sure most companies have. In this day and age, if a company tries to do online and havnt thought about using beefed up security, than there are trust factors and inexpensive at play here.

You're either out of the real world or joking.

Government's data breaches are far more critical (OPM is one of the most significant data breach known at this time) and common than you think (try a search whith IRS, USIS or KeyPoint for the most recent).

To compare (and minimize) these attacks against the single big attack of the PSN (as unacceptable as it was, data was less sensitive) is quite inappropriate.

Goverment hacks happen, i am not disagreeing with that. However being hacked by many indepentent hacking groups on PSN is the issue here. Not some State of the Art military groups with trained Hackers trying to breach goverment secruities 24/7.

Sony wasnt Hacked by ISIS or IRS. If that was the case than we can forgive Sony. However Sony didnt do anything to boltster there network which was considered weak in the first place. They waited for something to happen and than solved the problem afterwards, hence the major court cases Sony had to go through with the PS3 era. Sony is held responsible for there customer accounts. Is it a shock to you that we havent heard PSN getting hacked lately? Could it be because they finialy did something about it like Xbox Live has been doing since its launch? Interesting.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/sony-settles-psn-hack-lawsuit-for-15-million/

Quote from Link *Last year, the UK's Information Commissioner's Office fined Sony £250,000 ($425,397) for the "serious breach of the Data Protection Act" due to the account information leak, and said it "could have been prevented."*

So why is paying for online still exclusive for Xbox One then?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pemalite said:

It's Anti-Consumer because Sony obviously didn't give a crap to take proper precautions in the first place. Don't be apologetic about it. They are a multi-billion dollar business. They deserve the criticism they receive for this blatant abuse of consumer information.

Its not anti-consumer to have improper safeguards. Not even the government has proper safeguards against hackers. Are the anti-security? They've dedicated billions of tax dollars into national security. Where there is something to crack there will always be hackers. Precaution doesnt mean the reason for caution wont prevail. Hackers are involved in  criminals to the extent are anti-consumer, because they are a threat to the consumer. The blame is being put in the wrong place.

Okay then lets talk about Sony Music DRM shit that would make PCs vulnerable in the early 2000s.  Is that anti consumer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

People just want to play really good games. If Xbox had any, not saying they don't, but if they had any people will buy it for that system.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

It's not?

sethnintendo said:

Okay then lets talk about Sony Music DRM shit that would make PCs vulnerable in the early 2000s.  Is that anti consumer?

DRM is always anti-consumer. Sony has been a massive supporter of DRM schemes.

Lauster said:

It's perfectly appropriate.

The hacks on the PSN was done mostly by individuals sitting in basements... And the only reason why the PSN network was blasted open the way it was... Was because Sony didn't care enough to put in place proper security measures. - And that is not acceptable in the digital age. Period.
It could have all been avoided completely.
Sony shouldn't be praised/excused for being incompetent, they should be ridiculed. It really is that simple.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Seventizz said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hackers are anti consumer in the sense that they are anti-barrier and a security risk. You cannot stop them. Microsoft cannot stop them and neither can Sony. Sure, Microsoft has better security, but Microsoft has recently had issues as well as others with Sony in the past. No one is beyond it. Anyone who thinks in the information age that security is iron clad is kind of losing touch with reality.

I've been with Xbox Live since the beginning and I've never been hacked.  I've been with PSN since 08' and I've been hacked twice.  The last time I was told by sony's customer service that they won't refund my account again.  I bought a game digitally to clear out my account and I cancelled my account and haven't went back.  The nerve of sony trying to say their crappy service was my fault for getting hacked!  Good riddance!

Sonys response was anti-consumer, not the service in this instance. Screw them for saying that.

sethnintendo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its not anti-consumer to have improper safeguards. Not even the government has proper safeguards against hackers. Are the anti-security? They've dedicated billions of tax dollars into national security. Where there is something to crack there will always be hackers. Precaution doesnt mean the reason for caution wont prevail. Hackers are involved in  criminals to the extent are anti-consumer, because they are a threat to the consumer. The blame is being put in the wrong place.

Of course. Thats actually anti-conusmer because Sony is actively inconveniencing the customers. This is very diffrent from having a less competent online service from Microsoft. Sony was never expected to be more competent than Microsoft. Sony is more competent than Microsoft when it comes to upholding traditional console elements.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
darkenergy said:

Like some say here some just are too into console wars,also multiplatform are the top best sellers which is why GTA5 is still selling like crazy. Oh a few here say that Microsoft exclusives should release on PS4 then I suggest that PS4 exclusives should release on X1.

So the only grounds for competiton should be based on hardware and online infrastructure and not primarily games ? This is exactly the point I'm making, the only way for Microsoft to dominate the industry would be to remove exclusivity of games and internal development from the equation.

I'm not sure you understood my point on that comment.

Proud to be a Californian.

Ruler said:

I assume because the only gaming infrastructure on X1 is Microsoft's. Steam has to compete with other digital services so they probably wouldn't be able to get away with it as easily.