By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 27th May 2017, Hardware and Software

bonzobanana said:
zorg1000 said:

according to this site, Switch is at 4.1 million in 3 months while Wii U was closer to 2.5 million and didnt hit 4 million until it was on the market for a full year.

According to the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

The wii u was over 3 million by the end of 2012 and close to 3.5 million at the end of March. However that was the start of the cliff edge where sales dropped considerably.  On the wiki page it says shipped but in the comments on the wiki page it says 3.5 million sold in the first 3 months of 2013.  It seems like in reality there was about half a million difference. Of course the Switch may not have the big slowdown of the wii u or that slowdown may come after a more significant number of units has sold. 

shipped vs sold.

Wii U had shipped over 3 million units in 2012 but sales were closer to 2.2 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
curl-6 said:

At this stage I think it's more a matter of third party Switch games just not being that appealing so far. Street Fighter is an overpriced port of a last gen XBLA game, Bomberman is the kind of thing that should be a $10 eshop game rather than a full priced retail release, LEGO City is a 4 year old port, etc.

There simply isn't anything so far that offers even close to the same kind of value as, say, Zelda.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

Yes, it makes sense that third parties release their triple A titles when the user base is larger, and just Ninty sell such games since the beginning to help the platform taking off, and surely an expensive version of an old classic like Bomberman doesn't make sense, probably this comparison should be done again when NS user base will be larger.

But there's still one thing worrying for third parties, even taking into account your point:  1-2-Switch has sold more than ANY third party game.

Yeah that does kind of suck, but I still think it is too early to say that Switch owners don't buy third party games when there aren't yet any big third party games on the system.

curl-6 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Are NS third party games utter shit, or it's Ninty gamers that just don't want them and poop on them as soon as they see them?

At this stage I think it's more a matter of third party Switch games just not being that appealing so far. Street Fighter is an overpriced port of a last gen XBLA game, Bomberman is the kind of thing that should be a $10 eshop game rather than a full priced retail release, LEGO City is a 4 year old port, etc.

There simply isn't anything so far that offers even close to the same kind of value as, say, Zelda.

Zelda and MK8 I can totally understand. But can somebody please explain to me how did 1, 2 Switch manage to sell more than Puyo Puyo, Lego City, Dragon Quest Heroes, The Binding of Isaac, Just Dance, Disgaea 5 and Skylanders Imaginators COMBINED!!?

One cant help but wonder: Would 1,2 Switch have sold as much as it did, if it had had another developer's name attached to it?  Like, EA or Ubisoft?

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

Zelda and MK8 I can totally understand. But can somebody please explain to me how did 1, 2 Switch manage to sell more than Puyo Puyo, Lego City, Dragon Quest Heroes, The Binding of Isaac, Just Dance, Disgaea 5 and Skylanders Imaginators COMBINED!!?

One cant help but wonder: Would 1,2 Switch have sold as much as it did, if it had had another developer's name attached to it?  Like, EA or Ubisoft?

I can't answer that. The fact 1-2 Switch has sold at all makes me weep for humanity.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I can't answer that. The fact 1-2 Switch has sold at all makes me weep for humanity.

It's easy to explain. All of the third party titles are ports and most of them late ones; additionally, these ports got marketed like low-key affairs, i.e. not much at all. Furthermore, not all of the listed games have been released worldwide and a couple of them had limited printruns. On the other hand you have 1-2-Switch which is an exclusive for a new console and heavily advertised.

If 1-2-Switch was made by EA or Ubisoft, the marketing effort would have been significantly lower, plus the publishers' reputation would have also had a negative impact on sales. When a company name is associated with shit, then it's harder to sell games. Such a reputation is built by each company itself, so it's not anything that Nintendo could help third parties with. On the other hand, Nintendo's reputation is good enough that any of their games is given the benefit of the doubt by many consumers. Said reputation isn't going to suffer from one disappointing game, because the other titles Nintendo has put out for Switch so far make a strong case to keep trusting Nintendo.

Yeah.. I guess marketing would be the safest way to explain it.  Marketing is indeed a powerful thing.

And about the bolded paragraph... we can see that is how most of Nintendo fans feel about other developers, so that also helps to understand why there is such a big difference in sales between 1st and 3rd party games.

Now, I think that the Switch is gonna change that a little bit, as I believe that it is gonna attract many non-hardcore Nintento fans this time around.

Around the Network

PlayStation domination

Rem87919394 said:
PlayStation domination

It will be like this until next generation, so long way ahead. 

Not too mention in order for this site to meet the actual sales number for PS4, they need to add 1.2 million in sales in the next 2 weeks. Sony already confirmed 60.4 million to customers by June 11th. So get ready for some nice PS4 numbers coming up in the weekly's.

Blood_Tears said:
Not too mention in order for this site to meet the actual sales number for PS4, they need to add 1.2 million in sales in the next 2 weeks. Sony already confirmed 60.4 million to customers by June 11th. So get ready for some nice PS4 numbers coming up in the weekly's.

VGC should just be go back and adjust Ps4 accordingly, we know last BF it did over 2M WW yet we have it at 1.2M lol wtf? I know it's easier to add random numbers those next weeks but still. 

Don't get me wrong, I love VGC work I Know it isn't easy but still

COKTOE said:
hunter_alien said:

4:1 you mean? Its insane of how well its selling outside the holliday season.

I was talking about weekly sofware totals. The hardware wasn't even up when I made that comment. Sorry for the late reply. Got the flu for the first time in 5 years. Been fun. Ha. But jeeeeez. Those PS4 hardware numbers. For a week in late May? Holy flurking schnidt!

Yupp... its a buldozer :)) Flu in summer time? Thats absolutly the worst :))

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!