By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
curl-6 said:

Just played through the first hour of Bayonetta 3.

So far, it's awesome! The series' signature style is every bit as gloriously outrageous and fun as the first two games, the action still feels fantastic, Hale kills it in the lead role, and even 13 years after its debut, there's still nothing quite like Bayonetta.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Anyone else pick it up?

My post in the other thread. 

"Five chapters in so still quite early in the game but it has clearly gone off in a wild new direction compared to the prior games this is like the way DMC3 although retained the identity of the series it full on went off in a different direction to where the previous games were heading. DMC3 is the best comparison because like it B3 has a big shift in how you conduct combat and the implementation of new mechanics over older ones:

- Firstly weapons seem to now be a full set as in you don't mix and match by equipping one on your hands and another on your feet to make a set with the able to have two sets at a time that they can switch between on the fly instead in B3 each weapon is now a set in itself.

What this means is although the were some interesting combinations in prior games the second game showed some weapons couldn't be equipped to both hands and feet they were exclusively for one only so in B3 the weapons have more defined move sets specifically for them and unique abilities unlike a lot of the weapons in prior games will get into those later. You still have two sets at a time.

- This game's combat starts of as a cross between the first two games then runs off in its own direction, in B1 you piece together parts of the system to define your way of combat in the game, in B2 you have this overarching system that you bend to how you play while in B3 however you have elements of both approaches but you micromanage the new mechanics around it which leads to a more technical approach to combat.

- To highlight some of the changes prior iconic mechanics like the torture attacks and wicked weaves take more of a back seat to the newer ones. Demon Slave takes a bit of getting used to but pretty much fills in for Wicked Weaves and Umbran Climax and does a better job even though weaves were good, you get new demons as you progress and each has its own style and unique moveset when controlled you can have up to three equipped at a time and can switch between them on the fly. the are also some universal moves like a counter attack move where rather than dodge for witch time the equipped demon comes out and deflects the attack. Mind you all this is before I have unlocked any new moves.

- Demon Masquerade is the second new system in the game, as mentioned earlier weapons have more defined move sets due to being more a fixed set the is also a new mechanic applied to them where you take on the traits of the demon whose soul powers them. For example the starting weapon gives you the butterfly lady traits allow faster movement in travel and the ability to hover in midair.

That's the game so far and it's still early on and as for the boss fights well they are crazier than the second game, I will leave a very short clip of the first boss you fight below if you want an idea of how crazy.

https://twitter.com/Wyrdness1/status/1586466814267383808?t=sH1WQQEGwQncqpKDeOAS-Q&s=19 "

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

The metascore for this game is insane. I bought Persona 5 Royal because Nier Automata turned out to be a big disappointment, and while there are some very notable improvements over Persona 3, this isn't a game that deserves a score above 85, let alone 90.

I don't consider P5R disappointing, mainly because I went into it with merely modest expectations. I keep playing, but I must say that its pacing is a major issue. It's less of an RPG and more of a visual novel with some RPG sprinkled in. The gameplay loop gives you roughly one month of game-time to clear a palace which takes around two hours to complete. Then there's Mementos which only necessitates one visit per month too, but each new stratum can be cleared much faster than a main dungeon. The velvet room included, the RPG portion takes at most four hours per game month. This is in comparison to around eight hours per month of basically just reading dialogue after dialogue. With four palaces down, I don't think this pacing is going to change down the road.

P5R will take a very long time to finish which isn't a problem per se. But that the majority of time is spent on elements where you aren't doing much as the player is a huge issue. About the only other RPG series that takes this much time to finish is Xenoblade, but Xenoblade takes this long because of the huge game world that can be explored and the myriad of sidequests. In other words, you are actually able to play the damn game during the ~100 hours you spend on the game.

Spoiler!
Futaba sleeps for three weeks straight until the story moves forward.

I can't help but think that this yet another instance of Final Fantasy being used as the benchmark for what constitutes a good JRPG. Because in comparison to FF, Persona 5 Royal sure does deserve such a glowing score. But in the bigger picture where you consider all JRPGs, it does not.

The social interactions of Persona remind me of support conversations in the Fire Emblem series. You get to know each of your allies in a series of multiple conversations spread across the course of the game. This is a fine method, but imagine you'd have to read FE support conversations for five consecutive hours until something else happened in the game. This is what Persona 5 is.

About the only choice I have as a player to correct the pacing is spread out dungeon visits more and go to each one a few times per month, but that would be a giant waste of game-time, so that's even worse to me than the extended stretch of social interactions.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

https://www.siliconera.com/monster-hunter-devil-may-cry-v-move-up-capcoms-platinum-titles-list/

Rise hits 11.2m and is now Capcom's second best selling game of all time 

Wyrdness said:

https://www.siliconera.com/monster-hunter-devil-may-cry-v-move-up-capcoms-platinum-titles-list/

Best news.

Wyrdness said:

Still third behind RE7.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

All their million sellers updated as of September 30th in that list.

Around the Network

Anybody else here who'd like to see what a revival of Ice Climbers would be like?

Nintendo's investor report is out on the 8th.

Wyrdness said:

Gee, can't wait to hear from those out of touch suits who don't even play video games.

CaptainExplosion said:
Wyrdness said:

Gee, can't wait to hear from those out of touch suits who don't even play video games.

Speaking of being out of touch:

CaptainExplosion said:

Anybody else here who'd like to see what a revival of Ice Climbers would be like?

LOL

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

It Takes Two seems like a really good port