By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I added some new users to the Friend Code section of the OP. Just letting everyone know, I'll most likely be purging everything 3DS-related in 2019, as we're getting really late in the 3DS lifecycle and I don't anticipate anyone being interested in tournaments and online play for the 3DS at that point in time. If anyone else wants to be added to the Friend Code section, post your FC in the thread and I'll add it when I can.

-------

In other news...

Around the Network
Raven said:

In other news...

Here's video in plain text for people like me, where the embedding didn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4ITtg8kNc

Thought you were making a joke that there was no news, because it was just blank for me. xD.

On another topic, I just started my playthrough of Mario+Rabbids, near the end of world 2. Having a great time! It got me thinking that I wouldn't mind the Rabbids characters in future Kart games. I think Rabbid Mario and the others would be much better duplicate characters than the current Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Gold Mario, Pink Gold Peach... etc.

https://realotakugamer.com/blizzard-adds-nintendo-support-to-battle-net?fbclid=IwAR1nNFKtEXHdfA9npBBhxzV41_b57DmNOYiL5sBHjoQS-UevyhJKZ5yVCKU

https://gasbrosgamingnet.com/trine-enchanted-edition-now-available-for-switch-trine-2-and-3-coming-soon/?fbclid=IwAR24dTZvw9INyQ4M4WGazgQPqeaST5Za8mRILzguuWxOCNTrtsDCNBg9haM

Wyrdness said:
https://gasbrosgamingnet.com/trine-enchanted-edition-now-available-for-switch-trine-2-and-3-coming-soon/?fbclid=IwAR24dTZvw9INyQ4M4WGazgQPqeaST5Za8mRILzguuWxOCNTrtsDCNBg9haM

Getting Switch owners warmed up for Trine 4 next year.

I already own Trine 1 & 2 on Wii U, but I enjoyed them so I'll probably pick up Trine 3 for Switch.

Around the Network

Wyrdness said:
Following the news of the chaos at SE I think we now know the reasoning behind their ramped up support of Switch and AA, the fact that Octopath can make more money for SE selling 1-2m than FFXV can selling 8m is mind boggling I mean 8m and still manage a 33m loss? All of a sudden the scramble to get all the past titles on Switch and X1 makes sense.

Well, no.  First, the vast majority of FF XV's sales came prior to this fiscal year, so have no bearing on this loss.  In fact, Square Enix booked a profit of over ¥20 billion for the fiscal year it (and Rise of the Tomb Raider) came out.

Second, the media is really reporting this poorly.  SE did not post a $33 million loss.  Luminous Productions did.  That studio has only existed for eight months and is dedicated to a new AAA IP and potentially other projects.  Whatever they are, they are clearly burning through cash at a dramatic rate. That said, SE hasn't shut the studio or the projects down either, so they seem to think they can salvage it.

According to their consolidated finances, Square Enix actually posted an ¥8.6 billion net profit for the first six months.  Or about $75 million.  This is, however, less than half of what they made in the same period last year.  Also, It's a shame they don't seem to break out their MMORPGs though.  It would be interesting to see what their video game sales are excluding Final Fantasy XIV and Dragon Quest X. 

That said, yes, it's nice to see SE looking more into AA titles again.

So I'm going to ask a question that I expect incredibly obvious answers to, but ...

Are you guys more hyped for Smash Ultimate than you were for Smash for Wii U/3DS? If so/If not, why?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
So I'm going to ask a question that I expect incredibly obvious answers to, but ...

Are you guys more hyped for Smash Ultimate than you were for Smash for Wii U/3DS? If so/If not, why?

Yeah, and quite a bit I think.  Smash Wii U was fun, but it lacked any kind of singleplayer content worth mentioning.  Even the classic mode had it's worst presentation to date that I've played.  The 3DS was marginally better, but not by much.  Now this World of Light mode doesn't look like an epic storytelling extravaganza, but it is way, way more than we got last time.  And given the Switch's ability to be used as a handheld, having something I can play casually singleplayer to pass the time is excellent.  And yes, it has been pointed out the  mode is mostly a variety of event fights and such with extra presentational and gameplay flavor on top but that's fine by me. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Oh yeah, by a wide margin even! More characters, more stages, more features, a singleplayer mode, a bunch of tweaks and refinements to the core gameplay, it's too good. 

Missing a stage builder is definitely a shame - that was one of my favorite things in Brawl/4 WiiU - but I think I'll live. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android