By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mar1217 said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

Well, no.  First, the vast majority of FF XV's sales came prior to this fiscal year, so have no bearing on this loss.  In fact, Square Enix booked a profit of over ¥20 billion for the fiscal year it (and Rise of the Tomb Raider) came out.

Second, the media is really reporting this poorly.  SE did not post a $33 million loss.  Luminous Productions did.  That studio has only existed for eight months and is dedicated to a new AAA IP and potentially other projects.  Whatever they are, they are clearly burning through cash at a dramatic rate. That said, SE hasn't shut the studio or the projects down either, so they seem to think they can salvage it.

According to their consolidated finances, Square Enix actually posted an ¥8.6 billion net profit for the first six months.  Or about $75 million.  This is, however, less than half of what they made in the same period last year.  Also, It's a shame they don't seem to break out their MMORPGs though.  It would be interesting to see what their video game sales are excluding Final Fantasy XIV and Dragon Quest X. 

That said, yes, it's nice to see SE looking more into AA titles again.

Did they announce anything about Octopath results ?

Other than to brag about how quickly it reached one million shipped, no.  One of the things that has been talked about for the last couple release though has been how well SE's back catalog sells.  That's pretty much what keeps them profitable during slow periods (like Q1/2019 which had no major releases).   In case anyone was wondering why they are throwing all the Final Fantasies at the Switch and XBox One.

Around the Network

As far as Smash goes, I learned through the WiiU/3DS versions that I'm not a big fan. Likewise, I've never gotten into Pokemon either, so I'm pretty much missing out on all the hype. They've made it up to me by releasing a ton of good RPGs. Diablo III, Torna, TWEWY, and even FFXV Pocket Edition isn't half bad. I'll be double dipping on WoFF eventually, but holding out hope that Square comes to its senses and offers a physical release.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
So I'm going to ask a question that I expect incredibly obvious answers to, but ...

Are you guys more hyped for Smash Ultimate than you were for Smash for Wii U/3DS? If so/If not, why?

yes, I wasn't as hyped for smash Wii u  due to a number of factors like the 3ds version releasing first as well as lack of ice climbers and a single player mode. I'm more hyped for smash ultimate for those reasons as well as the fact 2 weeks after I got smash Wii u  I came home to my son skating on my disc(been digital only ever since) so I haven't played much of it and never rebought it

Nintendo Switch eShop Best-Sellers as of 11/12/2018

# North America Europe Japan
1 Diablo III Eternal Collection (NEW) Diablo III Eternal Collection (NEW) Puyo Puyo e Sports (NEW)
2 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order)
3 Bouncy Bob
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order) Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order)
4 Super Mario Party
Undertale Minecraft
5 Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order) Hollow Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order)
6 Undertale
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order) Super Mario Party
7 Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order)
Minecraft Undertale
8 Moonlighter (NEW)
Super Mario Party Overcooked! 2
9 Minecraft
Stardew Valley Phantasy Star (NEW)
10 World of Final Fantasy Maxima (NEW)
LEGO Harry Potter Collection (NEW)
World of Final Fantasy Maxima (NEW)
11 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Violett Stardew Valley
12 Stardew Valley
Moonlighter (NEW)
Human Fall Flat
13 Dark Souls Remastered
Minna de Kuuki Yomi
14 Hollow Knight
Night in the Woods
Pianista: The Legendary Virtuoso (NEW)
15 Taiko no Tatsujin (NEW)
Bulb Boy
Hollow Knight

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
So I'm going to ask a question that I expect incredibly obvious answers to, but ...

Are you guys more hyped for Smash Ultimate than you were for Smash for Wii U/3DS? If so/If not, why?

After playing the demo for like 5 minutes... oh yeah... oh yeah...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Raven said:

Nintendo Switch eShop Best-Sellers as of 11/12/2018

# North America Europe Japan
1 Diablo III Eternal Collection (NEW) Diablo III Eternal Collection (NEW) Puyo Puyo e Sports (NEW)
2 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Pre-Order)
3 Bouncy Bob
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order) Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order)
4 Super Mario Party
Undertale Minecraft
5 Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (Pre-Order) Hollow Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order)
6 Undertale
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order) Super Mario Party
7 Pokemon Let's Go Eevee! (Pre-Order)
Minecraft Undertale
8 Moonlighter (NEW)
Super Mario Party Overcooked! 2
9 Minecraft
Stardew Valley Phantasy Star (NEW)
10 World of Final Fantasy Maxima (NEW)
LEGO Harry Potter Collection (NEW)
11 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Violett Stardew Valley
12 Stardew Valley
Moonlighter (NEW)
Human Fall Flat
13 Dark Souls Remastered
Minna de Kuuki Yomi
14 Hollow Knight
Night in the Woods
Pianista: The Legendary Virtuoso (NEW)
15 Taiko no Tatsujin (NEW)
Bulb Boy
Hollow Knight

That monopoly from Puyo Puyo eSports in Japan ... Kinda incredible :O

Yeah, I think this is its third week straight

How active are tournaments in this thread? And will you be setting one up for Smash Ultimate?

Pokémon Let's Go has been leaked online, Pirates are playing the game before paying customers... Same thing happened with Super Mario Party I think... -_-

https://realotakugamer.com/smite-for-switch-confirmed-via-data-mining?fbclid=IwAR2jAt-DYvlyf_KQYpCcflltsJYg2UXYafwxtedAsnEET-f_467ic_08nuE

Black Friday deals:

Nintendo Switch + Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle: $299.99

Nintendo 2DS + Super Mario Maker for 3DS: $79.99

Joy-Con Wheel Attachments for Mario Kart: $14.99

Y'know, between the Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Pokemon, and Fortnite bundles. There are some good deals for the Switch this holiday season.

Edit: And it looks like Luigi is about to commit tax fraud, if he hasn't already.