By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

oops

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
So i've been wondering, do you guys think Nintendo beat 2014 this year in terms of games?

In 2014 we had Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros 4

And this year we've had Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2

Yeah, I think they absolutely beat 2014. In fact, 2017 might be Nintendo's best year ever, and by extension the best year of any developer in video game history thanks to Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

curl-6 said:
So i've been wondering, do you guys think Nintendo beat 2014 this year in terms of games?

In 2014 we had Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros 4

And this year we've had Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2

I think so, yes. Excellent as those games were, Botw tops them all in my book, plus Odyssey looks like it will as well. Splatoon 2 is on the same level as 2014's heavy hitters IMO, and XB2 likely will be too.

And don't forget Mario + Rabbids! ;)

StarDoor said:

Yeah, I think they absolutely beat 2014. In fact, 2017 might be Nintendo's best year ever, and by extension the best year of any developer in video game history thanks to Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

But guys

Donkey Kong.

Depends what metric we're using.

Based on overall quality I'd say it's pretty close (though it's too soon to really even say that), but if I had to pick then Breath of the Wild alone would probably sway me, even if there wasn't much else to play.

Since it can only really get better, 2017 clear winner for me.

curl-6 said:

I think so, yes. Excellent as those games were, Botw tops them all in my book, plus Odyssey looks like it will as well. Splatoon 2 is on the same level as 2014's heavy hitters IMO, and XB2 likely will be too.

And don't forget Mario + Rabbids! ;)

StarDoor said:

But guys

Donkey Kong.

As much as I love Tropical Freeze, Breath of the Wild is on another level. If we were talking about 2017 to date versus 2014 in total I'd be unsure, but with Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 waiting in the wings, 2017 pretty much has this in the bag.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

But guys

Donkey Kong.

As much as I love Tropical Freeze, Breath of the Wild is on another level. If we were talking about 2017 to date versus 2014 in total I'd be unsure, but with Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 waiting in the wings, 2017 pretty much has this in the bag.

I don't really have a bias either way. I never finished TF 

curl-6 said:

I don't really have a bias either way. I never finished TF 

Why not?

cycycychris said:
Fire Emblem Warriors looks such like a mediocre game to me that I just can't find a reason to get excited for it.

You have had that Hyrule Warriors gif in your signature for as long as I can remember, so I'm assuming you liked that game, and if so I'd think that would be a reason to be interested in Fire Emblem Warriors. I mean they're Warriors games, if you enjoy one, you'll most likely enjoy the others. Quality-wise HW n FEW are pretty even I'd say, both having pros and cons over the other. I'm more excited for FEW than I ever was for HW, admittedly a lot in part because I'm way more a FE fan than a Zelda one, but I also because I like most of the gameplay changes. Being able to switch between units at will, ability to command A.I. allies to move how you want, and traditional FE elements like the weapon triangle/pair ups/class changes/etc. That all should make the gameplay more fun n interesting than it was in HW.

What's the criteria for games we're counting here, considering you have Bayonetta 2 listed which I'm sure you're aware is a 3rd party game, and you left out ARMS which is purely Nintendo. I can't agree with any sorting method that excludes the surprise greatness that was Mario + Rabbids. I'm just gonna take the Wii U's 2014 and Switch's 2017 line-ups as whole, which, even when removing my extreme Splatoon bias, I'd still say 2017 is a lot better. No droughts, just a consistent stream of quality games, even if some are enhanced ports, that's still better than the the nothingness Wii U endured.

Lonely_Dolphin said:

What's the criteria for games we're counting here, considering you have Bayonetta 2 listed which I'm sure you're aware is a 3rd party game, and you left out ARMS which is purely Nintendo. I can't agree with any sorting method that excludes the surprise greatness that was Mario + Rabbids. I'm just gonna take the Wii U's 2014 and Switch's 2017 line-ups as whole, which, even when removing my extreme Splatoon bias, I'd still say 2017 is a lot better. No droughts, just a consistent stream of quality games, even if some are enhanced ports, that's still better than the the nothingness Wii U endured.

Oops, I meant to update Mario + rabbids in there. My bad.

No criteria. Just what year was your favorite : ) 

(none of that "objectivity" bullshit)

Oops, I meant to update Mario + rabbids in there. My bad.

No criteria. Just what year was your favorite : ) 

(none of that "objectivity" bullshit)

Ah well, I bet you wont find anyone who prefers 2014 over 2017, aside from diehard Smash fans of course. :L