By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider Xbox One a Failure?

AlfredoTurkey said:
Are they making money? If so, it's a success from a business stand point. But I know Microsoft wanted to dominate the living room because they said so and when you look at the massive dump this console took when it came out, I'd say most of those guys would privately call it a failure.

If you go from making 2 billion a year to making 500 million a year, that isn't a success from a business standpoint. (The numbers are just completely random, but it's just to illustrate that it's not as simple as as long as it's profitable it's a success.)

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Are they making money? If so, it's a success from a business stand point. But I know Microsoft wanted to dominate the living room because they said so and when you look at the massive dump this console took when it came out, I'd say most of those guys would privately call it a failure.

If you go from making 2 billion a year to making 500 million a year, that isn't a success from a business standpoint. (The numbers are just completely random, but it's just to illustrate that it's not as simple as as long as it's profitable it's a success.)

Yeah, this was obviously going to degrade into a semantics debate. I guess it all depends on the company and/or people who made the thing and what they really think. 

I would call it a disappointment... But that would require having expectation of it doing better.
The current gen sales are very much in line what I and many others expected since both were revealed.
If anything, that Sony hasn't yet pulled away from 2:1 ratio vs MS has underperformed expectations.
All the expectations of there being an even competition etc, are based upon MS' one-off success of 360.
That success was based off of the horrific difficulties Sony had with PS3 which came down to design choices.
In a gen where Sony showed up with market friendly solution, the current results are exactly expected.
Some of MS' success this gen almost certainly is due to carry-over loyalty etc from the 360 gen,
and it can be expected that Sony will disproportionately benefit from such factor going into PS5 gen.
(they have larger pool of consumers interested 'by default', people will assume PS will be dominant console going in,
i.e. factors in their favor amongst consumers who are not "blindly brand loyal" but who follow mass trends)

I play it way way more than my PS4 and I practically ignored my WiiU. So it can't be a failure personally.

In a realistic point of view, it's making MS a lot of money, enough money that they're comfortable launching the X. So financially it can't be a failure either.

Only when you look at hopes and expectations can you say failure, but they rebounded quite well with Papa Phil at the helm and make money off of it still so even that failure is pretty weak.

Not a failure, but a letdown. I'm sure Microsoft secretly feels the same way.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Not really, it's a moderate success.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

no

It is near the end of the end....

Wii U and PsVita is a failure..... so No!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Yes. The entire objective of the One was to be the all in one device you needed for your living room. It was meant to be your gaming console, streaming device, and tv? Sort of? It also set out to immerse players with Kinect. With the exception of games, Xbox One achieved none of those things.

There's also the pre launch fiasco in which, when head to head with PS4, caused the system to be all but D.O.A. It recovered somewhat after backpedaling with Kinect and matching the PS4's price, but even then it was purely financial. The damage had been done and Xbox would never accomplish what it set out to be.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Well...it has failed to inspire a purchase from me.

From a hobbyist perspective, it has failed to be particularly memorable, besides falling flat on its face at launch, MC Collection, and becoming PC-lite.

MS wanted it to sell 200m...considering it will be lucky to hit 60, that also seems like a fail.

Dunno about its profitability or how much damage its dealt to the Xbox brand, but it seems like MS laid a bad egg, knew they were stuck with it for some time, and have spent considerable resources in polish and adjusting its role for the company.