By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider Xbox One a Failure?

A failure in Japan and meh sales outside of USA and UK, WW sales are decent, so if we consider that most of the fault is of MS horrible marketing mistakes, we can say that the console by itself is quite good, as it managed to mitigate the damage.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

What firesales? There's never been a huge difference in the price of the PS4 and Xbone. Right now for the base bundles they retail within $30 of each other thereabouts? The Xbone has weaker hardware, it should cost less. What it "took" for them to potentially get those numbers is turning around a console that was DOA to most of the market thanks to a shitty reveal and some even shittier policies. Part of that was removing Kinect and pricing more in line with their competition. That's not a "firesale". $500 for the Scorpio is not a "firesale", lol.

Budget "significantly slashed", and yet theyre about to launch the most powerful console ever, which wouldn't be cheap to R&D or build. They showcased plenty of AAA exclusives at E3. And funny to see you say "downgrade" in regards to indies, I don't remember you being so dismissive of them when Sony would showcase them all over their presentations.

I have to give a deep, hearty chuckle to the idea that games like Fable Legends or a Phantom Dust reboot were two of their "larger" first party games. I assume you're also including Scalebound, which was a third party moneyhat like Bloodborne, but also looked like gutter trash, but I'll allow it if you want to cling to it to make your case about larger titles being canceled. But that's still only one, which was canceled out of pity, not any sort of budget issue, lol.

The identity of the Xbox brand is just fine now that Phil has turned it around. Regardless of what you'd prefer to believe, most people don't give a shit about games being on PC and a console. That's why Sony makes sure every copy of SFV says console exclusive. They want you to know you can't buy it on Xbox, they don't give a shit if you know it's on PC, they know the overlap there is not big enough to matter. Also I'm shocked to see that advertising took a hit, seems like every day we have a thread on here shitting on MS advertising of some sort. It got so bad that we got a thread complaining that they advertise their contollers too much.

I have to fail your post, but I give you credit for finally making it through a post about MS and Xbox that included your hypothetical and theoretical financials and didn't include a remark about how maybe potentially this could possibly be the last Xbox console from Microsoft if it doesn't potentially generate possibly enough theoretical revenue to satisfy your guesstimated margin MS is looking for.

I guess the truth hurts sometimes. How about last year's Summer Sale? XBOs were available for $249.  The price of the PS4 at that time?  $349, a $100 difference.  Yep, firesale.  And before that, they were constantly having sales to make sure it was $50 less than the PS4.  They were definitely not making money on the HW.

And you can ignore the fact that they have cut spending on Xbox, but it's still true. Even a casual observer can watch E3 2013/14, and see a big difference between them and 2016/17.  And there's nothing wrong with Indies. But, that's all MS had.  Oh, except AAA multiplat games they can't afford to even buy exclusive content for. At least, they didn't announce any.  Again, a far cry from the 360 days and 2013/14.

You can dismiss those exclusives, but what took their place? Nothing. So, MS lineup is looking bare, so they are filling it with indies.  And gamers are taking notice. The Xbox is down YOY, while the PS4 was up 2M for the 1st half of the year.  Again, it's losing its identity with gamers as MS push Windows.  It being on PC is causing fewer gamers to pick one up.

And, yes, this could be the last Xbox.  If the XBX completely fails, MS is definitely going to be questioning making a XB2.  If they try one more time, and they have another XBO (or worse), they 100% will be done.

Truth is you don't seem to like MS or Xbox. I keep telling you hardware isn't the only way MS makes money on Xbox there is accessories, online, softwarr,etc. Dont act like hardware is the only way MS makes money. MS stated they don't want to show games that might come years away like what happen to Scalebound that game should have never been announced and Microsoft doesn't want that to happen again. No they are focusing on first party games like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3, it isn't because they can't really afford third party content or explain Assassin's Creed Origins or Shadow of War. One thing there are tweets saying MS are already designing the next Xbox even thought the X hasn't released yet which I guess would mean they are still in the console space.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
A failure in Japan and meh sales outside of USA and UK, WW sales are decent, so if we consider that most of the fault is of MS horrible marketing mistakes, we can say that the console by itself is quite good, as it managed to mitigate the damage.

This is the closing way to describe the Xbox One thought it is selling as much as the 360 on the same timeframe.

Proud to be a Californian.